PDA

View Full Version : smartphones and forums

dominique
August 7th, 2010, 04:24
As I increasingly read forums (and newspapers) on my iPhone and my iPod on the go, I was pleasantly surprised today to see that Avsim new forum system has been adapted to these. I wonder what is the trend here and if I am the only one with Lionheart :) to do that !

BOOM
August 7th, 2010, 04:29
That's great to know! Thank You!

jmig
August 7th, 2010, 05:18
I will check here on my BlackBerry when I am following a particular thread. I find it hard to read, however, and have to pan back and forth. Not fun.

Chacha
August 7th, 2010, 08:29
Since I am always in front of a computer,
I very seldom use my iPhone on checking SOH,
However, On my holidays and vacation,
I can't help but check what's going on on SOH!
Addiction, perhaps!
:running:

Bjoern
August 7th, 2010, 08:41
Only tried it once, but reading stuff and the page loading times are nothing short of a PITA, despite WLAN.

Lionheart
August 7th, 2010, 11:27
Yep. I check it often when away from the house.

Also, iPad is lightning fast and has all bookmarks transferred/copied to it, so I can check the forums and emails while waiting for the computer to boot up.

Whats nice on the iPhone is you can expand the webpages to read finer print by using the two fingers spread swipe.

Amazing technology...

Naismith
August 7th, 2010, 13:15
My smartphone ain't so smart. It rings, is far to big to fit in a pocket and anyway its wiring would stop me from travelling too far anyway, it has call display and if need be the machine gets it. It has no texting function nor does it have a camera, apps, word processor, games. I think it was made by a guy called Bell.
lol

dominique
August 8th, 2010, 06:11
My smartphone ain't so smart. It rings, is far to big to fit in a pocket and anyway its wiring would stop me from travelling too far anyway, it has call display and if need be the machine gets it. It has no texting function nor does it have a camera, apps, word processor, games. I think it was made by a guy called Bell.
lol

For the last five years, our home has not been equipped with a (regular ?, classic ? legacy ?) phone plugged to the wall :) ... Cellphones and skype on computer only ! Mine was made by a guy called Job :d.

Daveroo
August 8th, 2010, 07:21
i own a desktop PC and a windows laptop....i have no use for a cellphone...i do want something that can have internet access(like a cellphone type connection? vs wireless access),im wanting something faily small( alot smaller than my laptop)something i can take to airshows/car shows ect and look info up online while im at the show..like aircraft N-numbers at airshows

anyone have any ideas?..

Tom Clayton
August 8th, 2010, 07:21
"Never"

I don't even have a "smart" phone. Matter of fact, after having cell service for several years, I finally broke down this year and activated texting on my account - only because I got a phone with a sliding QWERTY keypad for free after the rebate. Heck, I still keep a pad and pen beside my keyboard for notes!

Lionheart
August 8th, 2010, 10:45
I still keep a pad and pen beside my keyboard for notes!

I use the heck out of my Notes program in iPhone. Has my shopping lists in it. Also some recipes and to do lists.

Tom, do not get an iPod Touch, whatever you do. You will get hooked and that will be it.

Don't.......

Bjoern
August 8th, 2010, 11:54
Real men don't need shopping lists. :d

I have to admit I'm a pen, paper and calculator developer though. A bit of geometric math for the light splashes here, a bit of vertex distance calculation there, vertex coordinates, sketches, etc...

Tom Clayton
August 8th, 2010, 14:17
I use the heck out of my Notes program in iPhone. Has my shopping lists in it. Also some recipes and to do lists.

Tom, do not get an iPod Touch, whatever you do. You will get hooked and that will be it.

Don't.......
Don't worry Bill, if someone gives me one, I'll put it on Craig's List! I've heard too many things like you can't use them on more than one PC and I'm still not sure if you can just upload your own stuff without subscribing to Apple's service. I have a Sony Walkman with 4GB of flash memory that does just fine. I use it with a pair of noise blocking buds when I'm riding. Circuit City put them on sale last year for less than half off on the day after Thanksgiving, so Trena and I bought one each!

dominique
August 8th, 2010, 21:37
i own a desktop PC and a windows laptop....i have no use for a cellphone...i do want something that can have internet access(like a cellphone type connection? vs wireless access),im wanting something faily small( alot smaller than my laptop)something i can take to airshows/car shows ect and look info up online while im at the show..like aircraft N-numbers at airshows

anyone have any ideas?..

You should read Lionheart's posts more often :icon_lol: :icon_lol: ! Let sum it up, you want

- a cellphone type connection for internet access (ie 3G or more)
- but you've no need for voice
- a device smaller than a laptop

Hmm, isn't that called an iPad ;) ?

dominique
August 8th, 2010, 21:58
I will check here on my BlackBerry when I am following a particular thread. I find it hard to read, however, and have to pan back and forth. Not fun.

It depends a lot of the size of your screen I suppose. And a tactile screen is a +.

What I don't like is the left to right panning. I'm impressed by Avsim mobile interface as it is very readable.

Lionheart
August 9th, 2010, 00:19

anyone have any ideas?..

Like Dominque says, the iPad 3G can do that and the screen is pretty high def. But its pricey. Mine, with 3G wireless, 64Gig HD, no camera, costs just under 1K. I use the heck out of it for tons of stuff, but none of that 'stuff' is windows programs, all Apps, like what iPhone and iPod Touch have. Be warned, its not your typical device. I think you would be good with a an iPhone as the screen is high rez. The iPhone has a built in Safari web browser. I hear they are coming out with another as well, (browser).

The thing I like about it is its 'instant on' and quick. It normally just sleeps, so you click it on and its lightning fast, and goes on line pretty quick as well.

If you hold it just right on a platform at an angle (I have a nice stand for this) I can type on it, on the screen, faster then on my regular computer keyboard. I dont know how, but I can. The finger positions are good, and if I can rest my wrists on the platform, I can type in high speed mode, lol... I often write posts in here on it like earlier today.

dominique
August 9th, 2010, 21:39
Everybody willing to answer having done so I presume, I'm surprised by the result (even if methodwise, the sample is too small). I thought that far less than 10 % would say that they use a mobile device to check on forums. The figure is more than one out of five for regular users. I guess than in one year time it may be around 50%... These mobile device are overwhelming our lives and it's just the beginning IMO.

bpfowler
August 10th, 2010, 05:36
I use an android powered smartphone, and it has transformed my communications world. I try to check forums with the device, but most forums are not well-configured for mobile.

Typing is an issue too, but that's mostly my problem...IR awready tipin bad enuf wif a keyboard.

I would love to see more mobile-friendly forum layouts. the ability to do full internet computing on a pocket machine is really exciting.

Daveroo
August 10th, 2010, 14:22
i just ordered a apple iphone 3g ....dont know what im getting into but here goes eh?...having my home phone turned off and my landline number ported over to my smartphone so i dont need to change all the drs offices contact numbers....hmmm i wonder if my unlisted status will be dropped now?

Chacha
August 11th, 2010, 04:46
i just ordered a apple iphone 3g ....dont know what im getting into but here goes eh?...having my home phone turned off and my landline number ported over to my smartphone so i dont need to change all the drs offices contact numbers....hmmm i wonder if my unlisted status will be dropped now?

Smart move, Dave!
Enjoy your iPhone!

Cellphones are NOT listed, so I thought!
:ernae:

Lionheart
August 11th, 2010, 12:30

Nice! Thats what I did. Now the land line is in my pocket.

There is an app out called Live ATC. Might want to check that out.

Did you get the 3G or 3Gs?

Bill

Henry
August 12th, 2010, 09:48
i have a problem when someone emails me from a blackberry
i cannot read it with thunderbird

but as far as using a phone to read threads
my 21" monitor is still too small
H

mfitch
August 16th, 2010, 13:42
To reduce cost I don't keep a data plan active on my smartphone. The brief time that I did (to test it after initial purchase), I found it convenient a couple times to browse the web, but the interface was not intuitive for me.

Lionheart
August 23rd, 2010, 06:25
but the interface was not intuitive for me.

Could you translate that please. :d

Daveroo
August 23rd, 2010, 08:12
Bill,,,its 3G...no S i can see...lol.....im still learning the thing...almost had a disaster yesterday..went with my dad to bestbuy and helped him buy a new desktop...the phone fell from y pocket.( i needed a wheelchair) and i just happened to see it as we left...whew.....my dad got an asus 8Gb ram.1tb HD 3.0gz processer..told him its to fast for him.and his needs..he needs to trade pcs with me......i thought he was gonna punch me...LOL

Lionheart
August 24th, 2010, 17:02
Congrats on the new iPhone!

There are some great Apps out there for it.

You can create a special photos file system for it to hold your photo albums. Create a folder on your main computer you sync with, and name it something like iPhone Photos. then in that folder, place new folders with subject names and populate them with photos, such as Cesna 140. Then open up iTunes and in the top tabs when your iPhone is synched, click on PHotos and direct it to synch with a specific folder and go to that folder you just created. Sync and save. Then when you open your photos, they are all in proper folders.

Makes it pretty nice and organized.

mike678
January 4th, 2011, 09:58
I have an iPhone and use the Tapatalk app to read forums. I find it very much easier to use on the small phone screen than the regular forum sites. The Tapatalk app is available for iOS and Android. The free read only version lets you lurk, while the $3 paid app allows full forum functionality like posting, replying, PM'ing etc. The only downside is that the forum admin has to install a free plug-in to make it work. Currently it is available on the AVSIM, Orbx, OZx and Aerosoft forums.

I don't know how hard it is to install the plug-in on the forum software and certainly don't want to make more work for Ickie since smartphone users seem to be a very small minority, but if it is easy to do then maybe we could get it on SOH?

see http://www.tapatalk.com/ for more info.