PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim HU-16 and Supermarine Scimitar

SADT
August 7th, 2010, 03:19
Hi,

As some of you know, alphasim is having a sale on some of their products. I am interested in both the HU-16 and the Supermarine Scimitar. I would like to gather any opinions on these products. I also have some questions:

1. Are the HU-16 radios period style and vc operable?
2. What are frames like for the HU-16?
3. What is the functionality of the HU-16? Systems, vc etc.
4. Does the HU-16 have a period autopilot?
5. Can the Supermarine Scimitar be catapaulted and trapped?
6. What kind of functionality does this Scimitar VC have - ie lots of functional switches etc
7. Does the Scimitar have period avionics, operable from the vc
8. What are the frames like the Scimitar?

Thanks in advance for answering all these questions.

SADT
August 10th, 2010, 02:12
:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump: unless its not obvious - any ideas? :jump:

glennc
August 10th, 2010, 19:37
Craig,

I don't have the Scimitar so I can't comment on that. I've never even see a real HU-16, much less flown one, but the flight performance feels OK. The radio pop-up looks like the DC-3 default. There is an autopilot pop-up but it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen. It's not in the VC. The radios in the VC aren't really operable. There is a com radio on the overhead. It has all the systems you need to get airborne, not much more. Performance is OK on my 3 year old PC. If you are looking for a better product on that list, I recommend the T-34C. That's the only other aircraft on the list I have installed. Is the HU-16 worth it at that price? I don't regret spending what I did when it was new.

I'm thinking about the Blackhawk but fling wing and I don't get along all that well.

Hope that helps.

Glenn

calypsos
August 10th, 2010, 23:40
The Scimitar is a typical AS product of a few years ago, limited switches and procedures, but she is very nice to fly and a bit of a challange at times too.
I have not tried trapping/launching from carriers in FSX, but the FS9 model worked fine. The current model is a 'native' upgrade of the older one. FR's are fine on my PC.

It may not be perfect, but I doubt if we will ever see a better one! The Sea Vixen from Skysim was better, but there is no native FSX version available.