PDA

View Full Version : "Double Your Fps With A Flick Of The Mouse"

wiltzei
August 6th, 2010, 12:46
http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=36891

Time to test, if this is true.

mmann
August 6th, 2010, 13:23
My frame rate goes up by about 5 to 10 when using an FSX native aircraft if I move the mouse pointer off the FSX window. Conversely I suffer a 5 to 10 fps drop moving my mouse pointer off the FSX window when the aircraft is FS9 native. Regards, Mike Mann

PutPut
August 6th, 2010, 13:42
My frame rate goes up by about 5 to 10 when using an FSX native aircraft if I move the mouse pointer off the FSX window. Conversely I suffer a 5 to 10 fps drop moving my mouse pointer off the FSX window when the aircraft is FS9 native. Regards, Mike Mann

Fascinating!! I just checked with one each FSX native and FS9 native and got exactly the same results as you, Mike.

Paul

mmann
August 6th, 2010, 13:56
My problem is that where Mathijs mentions "If you just do not move the mouse for a while FSX will hide it automatic and you will see the fps increase." except that if the aircraft is FS9 native my fps go low! Regards, Mike Mann

falcon409
August 6th, 2010, 14:06
. . . . .Mathijs mentions "If you just do not move the mouse for a while FSX will hide it automatic and you will see the fps increase." . . . . .
This seems to be one of those tweaks I would move to the "Not Necessarily" folder, lol. Even when I first read Mathijs' post, my initial reaction was to laugh out loud for a few seconds at the absurdity of it all. But apparently some folks actually see some changes. I don't see any and I didn't really expect to. To those that do, more power to ya!!:salute:

Naismith
August 6th, 2010, 14:08
From the screenshot, he is flying in windowed mode. Who does that? I wager that most fly full screen. I tried and found no discernable difference either mode nor in whether the a/c is native or imported. Only slowdowns I get are fs9 natives in fsx.
I guess it is another of those tweaks that is machine dependent. Some are good, some not so.

Matt Wynn
August 6th, 2010, 14:15
i fly windowed :icon_lol: the 'other-half' gets cranky if i take too long responding to anything... e-mails especially :icon_lol: handy to see my taskbar...

stansdds
August 6th, 2010, 14:17
This might work for those who fly in window mode. I don't and as soon as I'm finished setting the switches in the VC, I shove the cursor off the side of the screen.

Tako_Kichi
From the screenshot, he is flying in windowed mode. Who does that?
95% of my flying in FSX or FS9 is done in windowed mode. I do a LOT of testing (be it aircraft or repaints) and flying in windowed mode is just easier when you are hopping from app to app while flying. I also do a lot of online flying via FSHost and you need to be in windowed mode for that too.

gera
I have many FS9 imports and I have noticed that on some the FPS go down and on others there is no effect on them.....what Mr. Mouse mentions is like so many "tricks" in FSX, some work on some systems and not on others, its just a question of trying and see....remember we "Fly in the mysterious Valley of the Super Duper long gone Aces".....love it.:jump:

Quixoticish
August 6th, 2010, 14:34
From the screenshot, he is flying in windowed mode. Who does that? I wager that most fly full screen. I tried and found no discernable difference either mode nor in whether the a/c is native or imported. Only slowdowns I get are fs9 natives in fsx.
I guess it is another of those tweaks that is machine dependent. Some are good, some not so.

I always fly windowed, albeit maximised. I get much better performance than in full screen mode and always have done in both FS9 and FSX.

mmann
August 6th, 2010, 14:35
100% of my flying is in windowed mode because any changes in FPS are not related to the screen mode but, in my case, whether the mouse cursor is visible or not. Does anyone know of a way to override the default FSX characteristic of having the mouse cursor disappear after a short period of time? Regards, Mike Mann

Naismith
August 6th, 2010, 14:46
AAArrrggghhh - stop ganging up on me you naughty windowed mode flyer types. In retaliation I point out that you are not "As real as it gets". Answering e-mails, doing dev work, how many pilots do that?
And before you flame me more, I only say that tongue in cheek. Can you not see I am using the sarcasm font. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Tako_Kichi
August 6th, 2010, 15:11
AAArrrggghhh - stop ganging up on me you naughty windowed mode flyer types. In retaliation I point out that you are not "As real as it gets". Answering e-mails, doing dev work, how many pilots do that?
And before you flame me more, I only say that tongue in cheek. Can you not see I am using the sarcasm font. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon7.gif
:a1310:

:d

ryanbatc
August 6th, 2010, 15:45
Oh I've had this issue since installing FSX back in 2006....

I've used 3 different mouses - same results...

I observe, on average, a 30% fps loss when the cursor is present....

Always run fully maximized windowed mode.

Reddog
August 6th, 2010, 16:15

I fly in windowed mode and been doing it for years. if your flying dual monitors or multiplayer in FSX u have to been in windowed mode.

anthony31
August 6th, 2010, 16:33
I first noticed the mouse thing with the Realair Duke. I found, if my mouse went off screen, either by autohiding or by moving of the windowed display, that frame rates would jump up by about 30-50%.

I suspect it might have something to do with all the mouse zones in 3D, maybe FSX has to spend a lot of time trying to figure out if the mouse is in a mouse clickable zone and whether to display a tooltip or not but who know with FSX?

BTW, I usually fly in windowed mode with PSP, FSDS, the SDK, and half a dozen text files open.

ryanbatc
August 6th, 2010, 17:58
I first noticed the mouse thing with the Realair Duke. .

Yep that's when I notice it the most as well...

Naismith
August 6th, 2010, 23:14
I fly in windowed mode and been doing it for years. if your flying dual monitors or multiplayer in FSX u have to been in windowed mode.

I have a laptop networked and have all the navaids etc running on there so I still run full screen.
No great expense either, the laptop is 8 years old and slow as a sloth running XP but is a great solution.

michael davies
August 7th, 2010, 00:41
Windowed for me too (maximized though), full screen really hits my FPS badly, so will try this and see if it holds any water, will just move the mouse onto the other screen.

Best

Michael

falcon409
August 7th, 2010, 05:20
Yep, I flew in full screen mode all the time in FS9 and would probably still fly that way in FSX, but once I moved over to FSX, the inability of FSHost to allow popups in full screen mode caused the change to windowed mode. I have held out hope that the developers of that software would solve the problem, but it's been too long now and no solution has ever been found, so I doubt that full screen mode and Multiplayer will ever work. Consequently, I continue to fly in windowed mode, even though I don't fly Multiplayer every day. Also, with the dual monitor setup, I use the second monitor for pop ups which doesn't always work correctly if I use full screen mode.:salute:

mmann
August 7th, 2010, 06:05
BTW, I usually fly in windowed mode with PSP, FSDS, the SDK, and half a dozen text files open.

Sounds familiar except in my case it is usually 3ds Max 9, ADE and Library Creator sharing the limelight.

Regards, Mike Mann

pilottj
August 7th, 2010, 07:41
depends on the aircraft for me, some get better FPS ins windowed, some better in full. I have a dual monitor setup so for the A2A planes I like full screen mode so I can put the A2A map gauge and info gauges on the one side. Other planes I like windowed mode so I can have a browser open set to Skynav or approach plates or somthing.

Cheers
TJ

Bjoern
August 7th, 2010, 08:33

FSX windowed, Max 9, GIMP, various folders, Foobar, Firefox and Miranda.

Fills up 4GB Ram veeeery well. :icon_lol:

My FPS are better in full screen mode, by the way. Don't know what's up on your PCs, guys.