PDA

View Full Version : OT: zip trouble

Warrant
August 6th, 2010, 08:47
Today i'm trying to zip my new F-35A paint, but noticed i needed a new zip program. Downloaded the new WinZip 14.5 version, but now it wraps all stuff with a X.zipx extention.
I cannot find a good older version, and i cannot wrap it ip with a regular X.zip extention (winzip claims if you wrap up in zip 2.0 legacy format, all can un-wrap the file).
But, when uploading a file at simviation, they immediately gave me an error of illegal format!

How to get stuff wrapped up in the good old X.zip format without having to go to "dark" sites and download an older version of winzip?

Please help

IanP
August 6th, 2010, 09:15
What O/S are you using, Warrant?

XP, Vista and 7 all have the ability to put files in the legacy zip format directly from Windows Explorer - you simply select the file(s)/folder(s) you want to add to the zip, right click and select "Send to", then "compressed folder (zip). That will create a zip file with your selections inside which is perfectly acceptable to all the download sites that I know of.

I did discover a problem, though, that files zipped using XP sometimes refused to open and reported as corrupt in Vista64. Not sure why that was.

Another option you might like to look at is WinRAR, which can handle a large number of different formats and, although commercial software, it can be run without limits in a trial mode.

Hope that helps?

Ian P.

Warrant
August 6th, 2010, 09:23
Thanks Ian, i run Vista 64. I did not know the "send to" trick. If AVSIM and/or Flightsim.com bounce my upload i will try this option.

Ferry_vO
August 6th, 2010, 09:25
Try 7-zip Warrant: http://www.7-zip.org/; It's free and can make .7z and .zip files and read just about any other type of archive.

:)

kilo delta
August 6th, 2010, 09:40
Try 7-zip Warrant: http://www.7-zip.org/; It's free and can make .7z and .zip files and read just about any other type of archive.

:)

Yep..I use 7zip too. Great program and free too!:)

stiz
August 6th, 2010, 09:47
just another choice, winrar, free as well http://www.rarlab.com/

IanP
August 6th, 2010, 10:07
WinRAR is not free, stiz. It's free to download a try, but is a commercial package.

I've never had much luck with 7-Zip, but others have, as documented above. :)

Ian P.

Cazzie
August 6th, 2010, 10:10
I've used the payware WinRAR, as some of my work requires the ability to unpack and pack .RAR files. It's a cheap one time price and works much better than 7-Zip or WinZip.

Caz

Bjoern
August 6th, 2010, 10:35
7Zip. Period.

Warrant
August 6th, 2010, 10:35
Thanks guy's. Great input!
I used Ian's option at first and re-uploaded (though no bounce's received regarding the zipX versions as of yet).
The other suggestions are well appreciated and i'm gonna test them.

Regards, Warrant

PutPut
August 6th, 2010, 10:56
Glad I saved the .exe file for Winzip 9!! I started with Winzip 6.3 (I think) and got free upgrades to v9. Then they wanted money for v10 so I just never bothered.

Paul

BASys
August 6th, 2010, 11:15
Hi Folks

XP, Vista and 7 all have the ability to put files in the legacy zip format directly from Windows Explorer
<snip>
I did discover a problem, though, that files zipped using XP sometimes refused to open and reported as corrupt in Vista64. Not sure why that was.
Ian -
I also experienced similar with a Win7 natively-generated zip.

WinZip refused to open it.

The Vista and Win7 outputs are apparently non-WinZip standard -

The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file
is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header.

Solution was to open with XP's inbuilt Windows Explorer </snip>native-<snip>zip mechanism.

HTH
ATB
Paul</snip>

Warrant
August 6th, 2010, 11:24
This becomes interresting, perhaps worthy of a sticky in a general section?

rohan
August 6th, 2010, 11:31
Solution was to open with XP's inbuilt Windows Explorer </SNIP>native-<SNIP>zip mechanism.
</SNIP>

Paul,
how would you do that if you have an original WinZip product installed, or any other product which has an automatic file association for the .zip extension ?
thanks in advance for any info,
regards,
Ro

stiz
August 6th, 2010, 11:46
WinRAR is not free, stiz. It's free to download a try, but is a commercial package.

I've never had much luck with 7-Zip, but others have, as documented above. :)

Ian P.

unlimited trial, you can still extract etc and all you get is a little message pop up after you open a file saying "do you want to buy" you can just click cancel and carry on :)

BASys
August 6th, 2010, 11:53
Hi Folks

how would you do that if you have an original WinZip product installed,
or any other product which has an automatic file association for the .zip extension ?
Rohan -
In Windows Explorer, (file manager),

In the left hand pane, (folder view),
Click the zip's parent folder,
and the zip will be listed as a zipped folder in the left hand pane.

N.B.
Doesn't work on all folders, (not sure why).
If that's the case,
Move the zip to a different folder and try again.

HTH
ATB
Paul