PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration installation no go...

Javis
August 6th, 2010, 06:52
Hey guys,

Just starting from scratch here, new puter, new monitor, from XP to W7/64, etc and so on.

FSX installed with SP1/SP2, runs like a Black Bird, just got the Acceleration DVD only to find that nothing happens when i try to run it in any of two DVD/CD players. I only get this ' Play Automatically' pop up window and i can open a map which contains two ini files....that's it. No autoplay, no setup.exe to click on, nothing, nada, niente... :blind:

When i play the DVD with my old XP system it automatically starts up with the install menu alright so it's not the DVD.

On my old system FSX is installed in the default location, on my new system FSX is installed on a seperate drive, especially for FSX only. ( i wanted to do things right for a change... ) I cannot believe that the Acceleration installer will only run if FSX is installed at the default location. I did uninstall SP2 just to see if that would change anything but it didn't ( cannot uninstall SP1 because it doesn't appear in the ' Remove Programs' listing )

What i very much hope for is that maybe a W7 user here is familiar with this phenomenon and might be able to help me find a solution ?...

Would it be meaningful to f.i. uninstall FSX, re-install it and then hope that the Acceleration DVD will autostart and present an installation menu ? :rolleyes:

Any hints/tips highly appreciated,thanks much on forehand ! :salute:

Cheers,
Jan

ryanbatc
August 6th, 2010, 07:10
Try copying all the files off the DVD into a folder on your hard drive...

Then installing from there...

That's what I had to do with my FSX Deluxe...

I actually have two folders, one install for FSX and one for Acceleration. Plus the installs go much faster if I have to do it again..

Ferry_vO
August 6th, 2010, 07:45
Strange issue Jan; I have W7 64-bit home premium and I have FsX installed in a non-default location but everything works like it should for me.

You might want to try installing FsX and acceleration directly after that? (Without any service packs) Both SP1 and SP2 are included with Acceleration.

Dain Arns
August 6th, 2010, 08:50
Javis, I have mine installed on a separate drive too (FSX and ACCELERATION).
Vista 64 and no problems here.

Is there an .msi file on the Acceleration disc directory?
I can't remember.

kilo delta
August 6th, 2010, 09:33
Worked fine on my Win7 64bit too.

Do you have UAC turned off? Might also be worthwhile disabling your anti virus while you install the addon.

Javis
August 6th, 2010, 19:23
Thanks mucho, muchachos ! :salute:

Try copying all the files off the DVD into a folder on your hard drive...Then installing from there...

Yes, was thinking about that too but this dang W7 won't let me explore the DVD.... So i can't copy anything... When i try 'Burn' it says "There is nothing to burn.. " I can explore the contents of other CD's, DVD's fine...

Strange issue Jan; I have W7 64-bit home premium and I have FsX installed in a non-default location but everything works like it should for me. You might want to try installing FsX and acceleration directly after that? (Without any service packs) Both SP1 and SP2 are included with Acceleration.

Yes, i know, Ferry, and i sure would've tried that too but it's Ok now.. (see below) So, when you put your Acceleration DVD into your player the installation menu popped up right away ?...

Is there an .msi file on the Acceleration disc directory?

There sure is, Dain. I can explore the DVD fine on my old system but NOT with this new W7 system...

Do you have UAC turned off? Might also be worthwhile disabling your anti virus while you install the addon.

Did that,KD, but to no avail... What is UAC, please ??....

Well, thanks much again for the tips, gents. Happy to say that i finally got that dang Acceleration installed.

Your tips triggered this 'bright' idea that i got : copy the DVD on an external drive via my old system and then install from there onto my new system. That worked ! :)

I'd still love to know very much what is causing the fact that this Acceleration DVD will not install on my new W7 system while it perfectly will on my old XP system.

The case is sol-ved. Next.... :mix-smi:

Cheers,
Jan

Naismith
August 6th, 2010, 22:46
Wasn't there a thing with some read/write drives (not all) which gets in the way of installing some programs. I seem to remember that in the past and that these problems were resolved by using a standard cd drive or as above by temporarily dragging all the files to the HD and install from there.

Roger
August 7th, 2010, 02:47
Jan,
UAC is User Account Control and since Vista this feature has been a major pain in the butt. I disabled it on my Vista machine right away after advice from Overshoe and have had no problems since. To disable it try a quick Google and you will find millions of answers...uac is that unpopular!

kilo delta
August 7th, 2010, 03:04
Click on your Start button...type UAC into the search box and hit Enter key...drag the slider to the bottom and click OK

:)

Javis
August 7th, 2010, 05:52
Holy poly pushing puter pumpernickel, Batman!! That was it!!!! :jump:

I have a dutch version of W7 so User Account Control doesn't mean anything but it was quickly found nontheless, shoved the slider all the way down et presto up popped the Acceleration installation menu when i played the DVD !!

:banghead: UAC!!:rocket:

I had trouble with GMax too to display correctly but that could be solved by disabling the fancy desktop. No matter that these annoying initial problems have to be tackled one way or another ( no more OE..... :mad: ) i am already hooked on W7 and will not revert back to XP which i have always loved working with.

Thanks a LOT again for solving the DVD problem, gentlemen !! :salute::ernae: :salute:

cheers,
Jan

IanP
August 7th, 2010, 05:57
"turning off the fancy desktop" seems to be quite a common solution to problems I've had with W7, Jan - particularly SBuilderX, which crashed every minute or so when trying to handle anything but the smallest files. I tried just setting it back to XP SP3, Vista, etc, which helped a little, but it was disabling desktop composition and visual themes that made it go rock steady again.

I do like W7 64 compared to all the previous OSs I've had and worked with, but you do have to turn the shiny bits off fairly regularly to make older (particularly 32-bit) applications run properly.

Ian P.

rohan
August 7th, 2010, 06:17
"turning off the fancy desktop" - I take it this has been found to be necessary when you're running 32 bit apps in native Win7 mode, or is it still necessary when you run them in one of the two XP emulation modes ?

"turn the shiny bits off fairly regularly" - you couldn't possibly mean that they turn themselves back on automatically and have to be turned off repeatedly ... could you ?

Ro
:ernae:

IanP
August 7th, 2010, 06:35
Hi Ro,

With SBuilderX, particularly, switching it to XP emulation modes made very little to no difference. Anything larger than very small files caused the application to crash very regularly. As soon as I turned off desktop composition and visual themes, it became stable and has remained so, therefore I have left it and not played further to find out exactly which was at fault.

By "regularly" I am referring to the need to turn them off to make a number of applications stable, not that they turn themselves mysteriously back on without me unticking the box. ;)

Gmax and SBuilderX are the primary ones that will bother people around here, but yes, I believe all the applications I have had issues with have been 32bit - primarily because there's so little 64-bit native software out there to use anyway.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Dain Arns
August 7th, 2010, 07:19
I think I hate DEP more than UAC.
Yep, yep I do...

kilo delta
August 7th, 2010, 08:23
Holy poly pushing puter pumpernickel, Batman!! That was it!!!! :jump:

I have a dutch version of W7 so User Account Control doesn't mean anything but it was quickly found nontheless, shoved the slider all the way down et presto up popped the Acceleration installation menu when i played the DVD !!

:banghead: UAC!!:rocket:

I had trouble with GMax too to display correctly but that could be solved by disabling the fancy desktop. No matter that these annoying initial problems have to be tackled one way or another ( no more OE..... :mad: ) i am already hooked on W7 and will not revert back to XP which i have always loved working with.

Thanks a LOT again for solving the DVD problem, gentlemen !! :salute::ernae: :salute:

cheers,
Jan

Glad you got it sorted :wavey:

mfitch
August 7th, 2010, 22:03
When I first read some entries above, the following was not clear. Pardon if the following is not needed.

To have Aero (fancy desktop) automatically turn itself off for a program that needs it and automatically turn back on after it exits do the following. (Note this is similar to setting XP compatibility mode)

Right click on the program icon. Select "Properties."
Select the "Compatibility" tab.
Click "Disable visual themes" and "Disable desktop composition."
Click "Ok"

Now these will disable and re-enable every time this program is run.

mfitch
August 7th, 2010, 22:08
On the original topic, UAC is not the sole problem (though clearly turning it off worked here). I have never disabled UAC (much less annoying in Win7). However, I did have trouble reading a few DVD's (similar symptoms). The problem was an interaction with a package designed to play DVD's (movies) on the computer. It added another layer to the drivers that conflicted with many things. Removing that driver fixed everything. UAC might be interacting with some other program.

crashaz
August 7th, 2010, 23:58
Phew! Glad you got it sorted out.... no Acceleration means no jankees. Not a good plan! Us naval guys glad you could come aboard.
:wavey:

Henry
November 4th, 2011, 10:21
i am doing the same on my latop:icon34: i cannot go into thedemo mode
H

papab
November 4th, 2011, 14:42
Hers a handy little link to disable UAC:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

Rick