PDA

View Full Version : Correct scale of aircraft in FSX?

swimeye
August 6th, 2010, 01:30
The FS9 Su-33 from Alphasim looks very big in FSX. The size of the Pilot looks right compared to other AC but the Aircraft is very big, i know that the SU-33 is a big fighter jet but how can you know that the scale is right? Also i have read that the default planes in fsx is not scaled right? Is that so? Thanks for any insights. :jump:

anthony31
August 6th, 2010, 02:53
- Get a copy of ModelConvertorX from fsdeveloper.com ( a google search will find the link).

- Load the aircraft model into it

- Use Options/renderer to change the grid step to 1 (looks like about 1m to me)

- Compare the model against the grid and count the number of metres it is wide and long.

- Compare with the published specs of the aircraft.

With most modelling programs you are working in feet or metres so something would have to be drastically wrong if you built a model not to the correct scale.

Lionheart
August 6th, 2010, 02:53
When we produce models in Gmax and Max, we use built in measuring tools in the software to accurately measure parts and things, from wingspan to wheels and things.

A good way to measure the plane is to make a block that is exactly the length of the said aircraft, export into FS as a scenery object, and part the plane beside it as a measure gauge and go to top down view and examine it. Side view will not work as you are dealing with 'perspective' so it (the block) will appear shorter from the side view.

As for scale in the world of FS, you will need to ask Aces that. But supposedly its all to scale. I have always thought the world was slightly out of scale, personally, in FS, but the planes and all should be 'exact'.

kilo delta
August 6th, 2010, 03:15
...now as to the accurate scale of default trees in the FSX world... :d

Lionheart
August 6th, 2010, 10:16
Funny you say that Kilo, lol...

Some say the trees in FSX are too huge, but if you look at photographs, certain trees are far more 'huge' then the ones in FSX...

Tako_Kichi
August 6th, 2010, 11:00
Funny you say that Kilo, lol...

Some say the trees in FSX are too huge, but if you look at photographs, certain trees are far more 'huge' then the ones in FSX...
Ahhh yes Bill...but...those huge trees in real life are not usually found just outside the perimeter fence and in line with the runway(s). :banghead::isadizzy:

Snave
August 6th, 2010, 11:58
Ahhh yes Bill...but...those huge trees in real life are not usually found just outside the perimeter fence and in line with the runway(s). :banghead::isadizzy:

IIRC from one of the ACES blogs, the trees are to scale, but the autogen favours the largest of the selections (I think there are three sizes to choose from) by default. The choice to focus on the biggest was simply to maximise the footprint or surface area coverage with the minimum number of autogen objects.

Not sure if anyone has done a lot of work in redefining the tree objects to favour the smaller ones under default conditions, but Ground Environment X certainly uses more, smaller trees for a far better impression of coverage with default landclass. Conversely though, when you change the landclass for Scenerytech or Xclass versions, at equivalent autogen levels the GEX tree coverage looks far more sparse, as you are dealing with objects visible distance as well as ground coverage.

Sundog
August 6th, 2010, 12:04
Of course, you also have to consider the fact that the Flanker is also a large aircraft. ;)

swimeye
August 6th, 2010, 13:06
Thanks for your answers, very interesting. There are so many things i dont know. :jump: