PDA

View Full Version : SSBJs

pilottj
August 5th, 2010, 16:28
Hey folks,
I remember reading an article in AviationWeek along time ago about the Supersonic Business Jet concept. At the time I think Sukhoi and Gulfstream were looking at the possiblity of a design. Anyway, it might be a fun flightsim genre to explore. Might be an intersting area for Bill or anyone who is into conceptual designing. Tintin fans might remember the neat design from Flight 714. Anyway, at least FS designers won't have to worry about the noise and environmental impacts :jump:

This wiki article has some links on current designs, including the Sukhoi/Gulfstream design.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersonic_business_jet

Cheers
TJ

Sundog
August 5th, 2010, 18:16
I actually have one on my to do list, although, as you can see I haven't released anything yet. But I'll be working on my first FSX plane soon, although the SSBJ I am planning to make is a few planes down the list.

Many companies are working on "low boom" SSBJ's. Gulfstream is still working on one and Aerion has theirs', although theirs' isn't a true SSBJ. There was also the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works design, that looks like something out of a Gerry Anderson TV show that they designed for another company, but that effort appears to be dead or not really moving forward at this time. None of those are the one I'm planning on modeling, though.

I should add that Gulfstream had looked at working with Sukhoi on a SSBJ, but that one wasn't a low boom design and they don't really see it as being feasible unless it's a low boom design that can fly supersonically over land.