PDA

View Full Version : FSX Acceleration AICarrier2 Ops Questions

delta_lima
August 5th, 2010, 13:09
Hello all,

Having begun to embrace the "dark side", I'm hoping someone can turn on the light bulb on some carrier questions. Bear in mind, I'm coming from being heavily involved with RCBCO operations in FS9 - this whole new moving carriers is a whole new deal.

Background:

-Have FSX Accel
-Have AICarriers2 - more or less understand how to work it - placed a few carriers on some tracks ..
-Have the Fernandez Nimitz, Flying Stations Ark Royal, and the Clemenceu all working nicely both on launch and trap

So:

1) David Wilson-Okamura did a great "tracks 1 and 2" pack. Is there a tutorial for how to do that? My use of AICarriers2 is "disposalble" in nature - every flight I have to place a new fleet, point it in the right direction, etc. I know it's just a couple of minutes, but I'd really like to be able to "permanently" have a scenario with a specific carrier, doing a route, during a specific time of day, etc. Just like he's done, only with adaptations using different locations, carriers, and planes.

2) Launch assist. I'd like to use that for some piston engined craft (Corsairs, Hellcats) - is there a way to modulate how much force is generated - again, like was done in RCBCO? Getting launched in a WWII to 200kts is a bit weird ...

3) I'd like to clear the carrier decks of the static planes. That would allow the Clemenceu, for example, to serve as a stand-in for the Bonaventure, the Ark Royal as a substitute for, the same boat before Phantoms and Buccs (say the Suez period). Can this be done? I know in the umpteen combinations of Nimitz Carriers, the Reagan comes with a clear deck - that's the idea.

Thanks!

dl

Helldiver
August 5th, 2010, 14:30
For one thing, they cannot copy the action of a Carrier landing on Flight Simulator. It's beyond the dynamics of FSX. Like the crabbing while trying to glimpse of the LSO.. The shock when you caught the wire. - And then the eerie silence.
Launching requires that you get 60 knots at end of the deck. The forward speed of the Carrier gives you another 34 knots. Now if there is a relative wind of say 10 knots, it should yield about 100+ knots of flying speed. When your loaded with bombs, ammo and have a full tank of gas. your just about scraping the waves. It will be a spell until you reach 200 knots and your finally flying
I'm talking about WWII Carriers, I don't know anything about the oil burners.

delta_lima
August 5th, 2010, 15:06
Thanks HD.

To the extent that it's possible, I've been flying carrier ops in FS for the better part of a decade in various sims. So mine isn't a philosophical question regarding realism, nor an aeronautical issue - I get the whole effective airspeed thing. Indeed, to overcome the shortcomings of FS 9 (where carriers didn't move), the only way you could land on those carriers on anything faster than a Fairey Swordfish was to artificially boost wind over the deck as fast as FS would allow (36kts) to trick your plane into thinking the the boat was doing 30 kts with a 16 kt headwind.

What I'm asking involves the very ingenious AICarriers2 program, which actually enables moving carriers. The questions are around that program.

cheers,

dl

dswo
August 5th, 2010, 17:00
David Wilson-Okamura did a great "tracks 1 and 2" pack. Is there a tutorial for how to do that?

Yes: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=19450. Unfortunately, Lamont Clark's website, where AI Boat Traffic Compiler was hosted, has gone dark! Fortunately, you can still get it at fs-shipyards.org: http://www.fs-shipyards.org/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=263.

delta_lima
August 5th, 2010, 22:43
Thanks - to the man himself!

Any ideas on 2) and 3)? I suspect the statics are there to stay - but just curious...

thanks!

dl

SkippyBing
August 6th, 2010, 00:15
For 2, you can't from FSX itself, however there is a gauge coming that should allow for this (not from me) but I don't know when it'll be available. For WW2 stuff I generally do free take-offs to avoid the problem, to be honest the end speed is probably too fast for more modern stuff as well.

For 3, The Ark is currently only available with the Buccs and Tooms on deck, to be honest she's completely unsuitable for any other time period as modelled anyway so I haven't been tempted to remove them! Certainly at Suez the angled deck pretty much consisted of some lines painted on the deck, there was a deck edge lift, different radar fit, boat decks etc. etc.

Was Bonaventure a Collosus class? I've got some plans somewhere...

expat
August 6th, 2010, 00:38
Welcome dl to the wonderful world of FSX. I too waited a while to take the plunge but have never looked back.

Recall your similar interest in developing carrier ops and working AI etc in FS9. After flying a lot of GA in FSX recently I am right now having a real FSX carrier ops blitz and enhancing the Nam and Yankee station AI environment, while trying to boost my trap performance flying the AS Crusader (yes it looks and flies great in FSX without much adjustment)!

Question 1):

- the basic Lamont Clark AI Carrier program is essentially "disposable" as you describe. This has pros and cons vs e.g. the fixed scenery AS Big E, where you can always easily start a flight on deck and cat. What is cool about AI carriers is that - obviously they are moving - but also you can "plant" a whole carrier group instantly, anywhere composed of each member ship of your choice and use this to practice cats and traps.

One down side is that it is not possible - or it is but it's not easy enough for me to bother - to save a flight with your plane on the deck the way it works in FS9.

- re the AI carrier tracks, there are a few default ones that come with FSX/Accel and I use David's tracks frequently -thanks again David. These take the moving carriers as in 1) above and put them in predictable routes, roughly following AI flight plan schedules. The advantage here is that you can take off e.g. from a NAS and then "try to find the carrier group" and then land and practice more cats and traps in a moving feet. This feels a little more realsitic than suddenly creating a fleet from nowhere, like Star Trek's transporter, by the push of button.

A downside is that they can be tough to find, particularly at night and/or bad weather (also you can't cheat and use GPS/ILS which is fun to do sometimes with the Big E -the fixed carriers are essentially airports at sea with AFCAD's etc) - you need to study the schedules to have a rough idea where the boat is. Also, you can't have working carrier AI with either 1) or 2). I believe - others here are more expert - that you can actually save a flight and return to it e.g. on the deck using the moving carriers with carrier tracks.

b/t/w - if you have the Big E it works fine for me in FSX with e.g. AFCADs (converted with ADE) and working AI and a nice complement to the moving boats. I often will just start a flight off the "E" then land on a moving CV nearby that I create.

David: is there a Yankee Station track and, if not, any chance of making one? :jump:

Question 2):

Frankly, I don't bother. Have fooled around with it with the default Hornet, though find it a bit fussy AND besides, Rob and Doug's terrific RCBCO gauges have been adapted for FSX (search for v3.0) and work prefectly in FSX on all moving carriers. This is possible because you may set the trap zone to "universal" that allows the trap zone to be everywhere - I trap with full damage on so trapping still is not not like fishing in a barrel as you might think. It has realistic sounds and effects - you can also set the cat speed to whatever you want - e.g. 155 knts for jets; something less than that for WWII props.

Question 3):

This may be more easily done where the scenery has a separate and obvious BGL for the planes on deck, e.g. the AS Big E. As I like retro 40s/50's/60's navair, I also don't welcome Superbugs and Blackhawks everywhere. If these objects are integrated in the main scenery there may be a way to mod this but that is beyond my ability.

I too would like to mod the Clemenceau (superb scenery)- clear the decks and change some textures - to create a stand-in US 60's style angled deck boat (pending a proper Essex class coming out) but was foiled by there not being any obvious way to get at the bgl that contains the planes on deck or the relevant boat textures.

Apologies for the long reply - this is a subject I have quite a lot of enthusiasm for!

dswo
August 6th, 2010, 05:16
A downside is that they can be tough to find, particularly at night and/or bad weather (also you can't cheat and use GPS/ILS which is fun to do sometimes with the Big E -the fixed carriers are essentially airports at sea with AFCAD's etc) - you need to study the schedules to have a rough idea where the boat is. Also, you can't have working carrier AI with either 1) or 2). I believe - others here are more expert - that you can actually save a flight and return to it e.g. on the deck using the moving carriers with carrier tracks.

Yes, this is why the tracks are unrealistically close to shore. (Close to shore also makes for more interesting scenery and screenshots.) Something I'd really like to have is a radar or map gauge that works on AI ships as well as AI planes. Meanwhile, there's this, which can tune a TACAN or ILS radio to the default carriers and the magnificent Thrawn Ike/Nimitz. That helps a lot.

<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" align="left">Flight Simulator X - Panels (http://library.avsim.net/index.php?CatID=fsxpan) </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" width="*"> NEW Realistic HUD for the FSX F/A-18 Hornet </td> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap"> <!-- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/Link.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/esearch.php?DLID=140860) --> http://library.avsim.net/images/ZipDive.png (http://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=140860) http://library.avsim.net/images/Download.png (http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=140860) </td> </tr> </tbody></table> Images related to this file:

new_realistic_hud_fsx_hornet-1.jpg (http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=247041)
new_realistic_hud_fsx_hornet-2.jpg (http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=247042)

<table border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td> http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=247040 </td> <td width="*"> File Description:
A realistic head-up display (HUD) for the FSX Acceleration F/A-18 Hornet. The HUD is an enhanced version of the original HUD for the F/A-18 by Scott Printz. The original functionality Scott built into it is preserved, and the following new features are added: 1) Precise ILS and TACAN navigation for aircraft carriers (including moving carriers) that allow carrier landings in low visibility and at night. 2) The HUD symbology is conformal to the outside world: The horizon bar stays on the horizon, velocity vector shows actual flight path as read against the outside world (if you keep your vector pointed at a certain spot on the runway, this is exactly where you will land). 3) Caged mode with ghost vector for use in heavy side wind conditions. 4) Elements repositioned to make the HUD look as close as possible to the real Hornet HUD. By Jivko Rusev.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" width="50%"> <tbody><tr> <td width="25%">Filename:</td> <td width="75%">new_realistic_hud_fsx_hornet.zip</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">License:</td> <td width="75%">Freeware, limited distribution</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Added:</td> <td width="75%">29th November 2009</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Downloads:</td> <td width="75%">801</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Author:</td> <td width="75%">Jivko Rusev</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Size:</td> <td width="75%">208kb</td></tr></tbody></table>

It is, as you say, possible to save flights on deck, and each of my tracks comes with a saved flight for just this purpose. But getting it right can be tricky. For one thing, you can't use slew or do anything funky at any point in the flight; if you do, the timing will be off. You also have to edit the resulting .flt file so that you start on deck instead of sea-level; I think I give instructions on this in the readme file.

David: is there a Yankee Station track and, if not, any chance of making one? :jump:

I am married to a Red Sox fan so, no. In all seriousness, though, if people have ideas for another set of tracks I'm open to suggestions.

delta_lima
August 6th, 2010, 21:37
. In all seriousness, though, if people have ideas for another set of tracks I'm open to suggestions.

Ark Royal doing a circular route through the med (should have lots of intersections to work with there)

Nimitz at Yankee Station - Vietnam scenario (yes, I know the boat is too new already!! - this would be a stand in until an older angled-deck AI carrier materialises)

CV-6 in Yellow Sea (Inchon) - Korean War scenario

You could also do a Charles do Gaulle action down in many African Coast hot spots. that's a fairly nice ship too.

michael davies
August 6th, 2010, 22:58
I think Nimitz might have done one tour right at the very end, not combat but during the withdrawal, at work now so cant check my records.

I'd love to find out why my tracks are not working anymore, the only way I can get moving carriers in sim is with AIcarriers2 and manually selecting them once the sim is up and running, having auto AI with tracks just isnt working right now :(.

Best

Michael

Ark Royal doing a circular route through the med (should have lots of intersections to work with there)

Nimitz at Yankee Station - Vietnam scenario (yes, I know the boat is too new already!! - this would be a stand in until an older angled-deck AI carrier materialises)

CV-6 in Yellow Sea (Inchon) - Korean War scenario

You could also do a Charles do Gaulle action down in many African Coast hot spots. that's a fairly nice ship too.

delta_lima
August 7th, 2010, 00:52
I have all of 3 days of experience with FSX, so I'm guessing you know this already ... but did you remember to place the .WX, .FLT, and .FSSAVE save files in your addon scenery / scenery folder?

Just a thought.

Good luck!

michael davies
August 7th, 2010, 01:12
I have all of 3 days of experience with FSX, so I'm guessing you know this already ... but did you remember to place the .WX, .FLT, and .FSSAVE save files in your addon scenery / scenery folder?

Just a thought.

Good luck!

No, I dont need to, do I ?. I never did before, just created a path and compiled with AIBTC, loaded up the sim at the prescribed place and time and there was the carrier merrily sailing along, since reinstalling FSx they dont work any more, thought it might be the ship models or naming but they work fine with AIcarriers2. I managed to set a new path on Google Earth further off shore and set a new AI track up with the default carrier and that didnt work either, most odd.

I've not fully explored AIcarriers2 yet, does it let you select AI paths that are saved as bgls ?, I assume it must as I see fleets in the menus, but then they could just be a list of vessels from the cfg document...but how does it know how to space them apart ?, need more time to play :).

Best

Michael

delta_lima
August 7th, 2010, 01:26
No, I dont need to, do I ?. I never did before, just created a path and compiled with AIBTC, loaded up the sim at the prescribed place and time and there was the carrier merrily sailing along, since reinstalling FSx they dont work any more, thought it might be the ship models or naming but they work fine with AIcarriers2. I managed to set a new path on Google Earth further off shore and set a new AI track up with the default carrier and that didnt work either, most odd.

I've not fully explored AIcarriers2 yet, does it let you select AI paths that are saved as bgls ?, I assume it must as I see fleets in the menus, but then they could just be a list of vessels from the cfg document...but how does it know how to space them apart ?, need more time to play :).

Best

Michael

Yes, I believe you do. Again, being a complete numpty to FSX, I'm just following the instructions to the letter. My pack from David W works like a charm. Like a traffic bgl of FS9 days, there is a config inside the AICARRIERS2 folder which specifies each ship, and each formation of ships. Any time you add a new ship or formation, you need to add the type, and if formation, the formation coordinates. Using the "lead" ship's datum of 0,0, the others can be placed accordingly. so an entry of -100,100 would mean -100 ft back, 100 ft stbd. Pretty basic stuff.

I've created custom fleets around the Clem and Ark Royals - however, I haven't been able to sit down and follow how to create a track yet.

Expat - good to see you here too!

cheers,

dl

michael davies
August 7th, 2010, 01:39
The AIcarriers2 works a treat, go anywhere in the world and just place a carrier there in front of you, I havent tried saving that flight with the carrier in it, I just save the location and then reload the carrier when I next fly it.

The cfg are very intuative, added my Essex carrier very easily, I dont know if AIcarriers2 has the ability to parse KML paths and create bgls, those are the ones that are not working for me right now. Funny thing is, I sent my original bgls to some others beta testing and some would work and some not ?. The sim sees the bgls when first loaded and compiles scenery indexes but in FSx traffic toolbox, what a great tool that is, actually you could use that to track your carriers down at night, the map shows everything around you, the carriers are given a specific call number, just look up that number on the map and you'll see where it is, even gives speed and heading of the vessel, sadly it does not show the bearing in relation to your position, only the distance...not that I can see as of yet. Anyway traffic toolbox sees nothing, I even set the vessel speed to 2knts so it takes ages to traverse the track, its only 20 miles long so if your mid station at 2000' ASL you should see it easily enough

Best

Michael

Yes, I believe you do. Again, being a complete numpty to FSX, I'm just following the instructions to the letter. My pack from David W works like a charm. Like a traffic bgl of FS9 days, there is a config inside the AICARRIERS2 folder which specifies each ship, and each formation of ships. Any time you add a new ship or formation, you need to add the type, and if formation, the formation coordinates. Using the "lead" ship's datum of 0,0, the others can be placed accordingly. so an entry of -100,100 would mean -100 ft back, 100 ft stbd. Pretty basic stuff.

I've created custom fleets around the Clem and Ark Royals - however, I haven't been able to sit down and follow how to create a track yet.

Expat - good to see you here too!

cheers,

dl

dswo
August 7th, 2010, 02:45
I dont know if AIcarriers2 has the ability to parse KML paths and create bgls.

That would have been cool but, no, it doesn't.

Mike, maybe you've already checked for this, but if you have Vista or Windows 7, open your main FSX folder in Windows Explorer and search for traffic*.bgl. It may take awhile to finish searching, but it should find _all_ of the traffic files (unless, like me, you have scenery installed in another place: I put my photoscenery on a separate hard disk).

What we're looking for here are traffic files that were compiled for FS9. If you have any of these older files in your installation, it can block the newer forms of AI traffic, including boat traffic. Crazy stuff!

If you find any traffic files that you think might be in FS9 format, try renaming them to oldname.bgl.xxx; this will disable them. Then reload FSX and test. If you have a lot of traffic files scattered in different places, there's a powerful and free program called Bulk Renamer Utility that can really mess you up -- I mean, can fix you up in seconds! Seriously, it's a power tool, so measure twice and cut once. http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php. It's great for organizing your screenshot folders as well.

Finally, if you want another pair of eyes to look at your track, PM me or Google wilson-okamura email and it'll show you my real email address in .34 seconds or however fast Google is working on a Saturday.

michael davies
August 7th, 2010, 03:45
David,

I'm running Win XP, cant get on with these new fangled wannabe OS's, seriously Win7 I might spring for but XP has stood me well so far.

The only traffic bgls I have are my added ones and no added scenery either, not that I know of, however I did notice a lack of ferries and such and decided to go looking for them, there was always one at Harwich and one or two at Seattle, but you know I couldn't find them, traffic tools showed ferries but as sleeping so the paths and bgls were there, when i slewed there in the map they were gone....I've since guessed that slew tends to mess up AI and such so not a smart move.

I tend to put any scenery I add into one of two places scenery\world\scenery or addon scenery\scenery

I've plenty of small boats running around so that part works and it looks like some ferries to, so the sim isnt broken per se, but I will definately check for older traffic files when I get home.

I also might be using KML and not KMZ so that might be a problem, but as I say I followed AIBTC to the letter before and it worked and now it on the new install it doesn't. My boat txt is ok and I'm pretty sure my plan text is ok, initially I had a time scale of 1hr and that worked, but noted everyone using 24hr so tried that. I've tried changing the normal and return times ie one earlier than the other and vice versa, nada.

I will take you up on your offer of a second set of eyes, as this is driving me crazy, I can get my head round a multi material 130K poly model, but cant get two text files to produce a 5K bgl !. It'll be later this evening though.

Its got to be something stupidly fundamental to be honest.

Best

Michael

after-thought, I wonder if I need to reinstall AIBTC, I wonder if it writes a file somewhere that I might have cleaned up with a registry edit or disc clean up tool ?. Certainly when I went to reuse it the other day it said I didnt have Java installed ?, and I do, but had to reload it to get AIBTC to even open ?.

after after-thought, I tell you what, I have recently added World of AI flight aircraft and AI routes, would an aircraft AI bgl cause the same effect, I presume they use a traffic bgl like boats do ?, have to confess I'm in waters I dont usually frequent. I didn't have world of AI aircraft in the last install.

That would have been cool but, no, it doesn't.

Mike, maybe you've already checked for this, but if you have Vista or Windows 7, open your main FSX folder in Windows Explorer and search for traffic*.bgl. It may take awhile to finish searching, but it should find _all_ of the traffic files (unless, like me, you have scenery installed in another place: I put my photoscenery on a separate hard disk).

What we're looking for here are traffic files that were compiled for FS9. If you have any of these older files in your installation, it can block the newer forms of AI traffic, including boat traffic. Crazy stuff!

If you find any traffic files that you think might be in FS9 format, try renaming them to oldname.bgl.xxx; this will disable them. Then reload FSX and test. If you have a lot of traffic files scattered in different places, there's a powerful and free program called Bulk Renamer Utility that can really mess you up -- I mean, can fix you up in seconds! Seriously, it's a power tool, so measure twice and cut once. http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php. It's great for organizing your screenshot folders as well.

Finally, if you want another pair of eyes to look at your track, PM me or Google wilson-okamura email and it'll show you my real email address in .34 seconds or however fast Google is working on a Saturday.

SkippyBing
August 7th, 2010, 08:44
Something I'd really like to have is a radar or map gauge that works on AI ships as well as AI planes.

Have a look about half way down this page http://z13.invisionfree.com/Flying_Stations/index.php?showtopic=10&st=60

michael davies
August 7th, 2010, 12:18
David,

You genius, its an errant aircraft traffic bgl, not sure which one yet, I only have seven WOAI bgls, took them out and bingo the carriers back !. I am so cross right now, WOAI claim they're FSx ready, and, at all the lost time trying to fathom this out !.

Solving one problem now leaves me with potentially another, no Euro AI aircraft :(.

Right having solved that I can get back to some real work and sort some issues out with CV-10.

Best

Michael

dswo
August 7th, 2010, 15:18
Have a look about half way down this page http://z13.invisionfree.com/Flying_Stations/index.php?showtopic=10&st=60

A ship radar! In December, we are all going to look back and sing, "It was a very good year."

Solving one problem now leaves me with potentially another, no Euro AI aircraft.

This problem can be solved too, with the following program. Among other things (many other things), it can convert FS9 traffic files to FSX format:

<center>FS2004 (ACOF) - Misc. </center> <center>FS2004/FSX AI Flight Planner
</center> <center> [ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=131166) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=131166) ] </center>
Name: aifp_v16.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=131166) Size: 1,114,773 Date: 01-27-2009 Downloads: 4,821
http://www.flightsim.com/o/AIFP_V16.GIF FS2004/FSX AI Flight Planner v1.6. AI Flight Planner is a fully-integrated AI flight planning tool for both FS2004 and FSX - from collecting stock and add-on airport data to compiling/de-compiling traffic files. It accepts TTools-format text files as source data - but it is equally comfortable reading traffic files. Among its unique features are: times may be specified using local time, airports specified using either ICAO or IATA codes, similar legs in weekly flight plans created automatically, comprehensive error checking and traffic file validation and conversion. Built on the extensively re-designed v1.5 base, AI Flight Planner Version 1.6 offers enhanced functionality including an aircraft editor and automatic update detection, a refined user interface, improved performance and less sensitivity to regional settings. By Don Grovestine.

michael davies
August 7th, 2010, 22:14
David,

I did wonder after I uninstalled them if there was a way to convert the bgls to pure FSx format, via AIBTC actually, ie uncompile and ammend the text files to the correct format, what ever that may be ?. This tool will help greatly, thank you for your input.

Best

Michael

A ship radar! In December, we are all going to look back and sing, "It was a very good year."

This problem can be solved too, with the following program. Among other things (many other things), it can convert FS9 traffic files to FSX format:

<CENTER>FS2004 (ACOF) - Misc. </CENTER><CENTER>FS2004/FSX AI Flight Planner

</CENTER><CENTER>[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=131166) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=131166) ] </CENTER>
Name: aifp_v16.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=131166) Size: 1,114,773 Date: 01-27-2009 Downloads: 4,821
http://www.flightsim.com/o/AIFP_V16.GIF FS2004/FSX AI Flight Planner v1.6. AI Flight Planner is a fully-integrated AI flight planning tool for both FS2004 and FSX - from collecting stock and add-on airport data to compiling/de-compiling traffic files. It accepts TTools-format text files as source data - but it is equally comfortable reading traffic files. Among its unique features are: times may be specified using local time, airports specified using either ICAO or IATA codes, similar legs in weekly flight plans created automatically, comprehensive error checking and traffic file validation and conversion. Built on the extensively re-designed v1.5 base, AI Flight Planner Version 1.6 offers enhanced functionality including an aircraft editor and automatic update detection, a refined user interface, improved performance and less sensitivity to regional settings. By Don Grovestine.