PDA

View Full Version : Still one of the best aviation movies ever

dominique
August 4th, 2010, 09:04
and a lot of fun too...

Do you a favor, go and get Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Magnificent_Men_in_Their_Flying_Machines). I was a teenager when I saw it the first time, saw it again today withe same pleasure !

Lionheart
August 4th, 2010, 09:45
Love that movie!

My fave was the little French guy on the Demoiselle. I guess the Bleriot as well.

How about that round ring plane?

What ever happened to the incredible leaps in invention? The airplane was newly born back then and there were probably several hundred people around the world making planes. Now that we have the technology, where have they gone?

HouseHobbit
August 4th, 2010, 09:48
Yes, this is a Great movie, really fun..
Now i am going to have to find it, i haven't seen it in years..
Off to find a movie..LOL..

OBIO
August 4th, 2010, 09:52
Now that we have the technology, where have they gone?

They're dead. All those guys who were building planes at the birth of aviation...well, they got old and tired and decided to take the long dirt nap. Each and every one of them. I tried to talk them in to hanging around and seeing what the airplane would look like a century after it was invented, but they formed a union and unanimously voted for dying. They said something about not wanting to witness the social unrest of the 60s, the really odd clothing of the 70s and the weird haircuts some guys wore during the 80s.

OBIO

Terry
August 4th, 2010, 10:03
They're dead. All those guys who were building planes at the birth of aviation...well, they got old and tired and decided to take the long dirt nap. Each and every one of them. I tried to talk them in to hanging around and seeing what the airplane would look like a century after it was invented, but they formed a union and unanimously voted for dying. They said something about not wanting to witness the social unrest of the 60s, the really odd clothing of the 70s and the weird haircuts some guys wore during the 80s.

OBIO

OBIO, if your not a writer you have missed your calling in life! You could be rich.

Cazzie
August 4th, 2010, 10:16
At least three of those old planes are available for FS9, the Demoiselle, Antoinette, and the Curtiss Flyer.

Done as a comedy, it is still the best movie ever made of those old crates.

Caz

Dain Arns
August 4th, 2010, 11:01
Here you go... :salute:
(Probably some of the best bits)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4fVp-hEPOk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4fVp-hEPOk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

demorier
August 4th, 2010, 21:39
"There is nothing the German officer cannot do".:mixedsmi:

Lionheart
August 4th, 2010, 21:55
I love that movie. Just found it at iTunes, $9.99.

Others that were similar;
* Around the World in 80 Days
* The Blue Max
* Mosquito Squadron
* Dawn Patrol (first aerial classic with sound?)

OBIO

lolol...

What I 'meant' was.. Where are all the 'modern day inventors' of 'new' forms of flying machines? Perhaps we need new 'competitions' like that space race that Rutan won, sending a vehicle into space 2 times in 2 weeks. Thats how they did it in the old days, races from one city to another won a prize. Crossing the English channel won a prize, Getting into Space twice in two weeks won a HUGE prize...

Imagine docking at the space station 'next' for the newest 'big' prize, or a hang glider that can take off (somehow) from flat land (ornithopter?).

Bill

brad kaste
August 5th, 2010, 06:54
Gert Frobe,...who portrayed Col. Manfred von Holstein in the movie,...was also Goldfinger in the James Bond movie of the same name. As the ol' saying goes,...they don't make actors of his caliber anymore. I truly believe that.

TomSteber
August 5th, 2010, 07:07
Own it. Great movie. Head to Rhinebeck, NY to the Cole Palin Museum and they have a couple of the planes from the movie there. They even fly them on Saturdays during the summer.

dominique
August 5th, 2010, 07:35
Gert Frobe,...who portrayed Col. Manfred von Holstein in the movie,...was also Goldfinger in the James Bond movie of the same name.

Very good actors indeed but the movie credits look like a row of tombstones, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Robert Morley, Alberto Sordi, Terry-Thomas, Gert Froebe, Irina Demick are no more...

Anyway I hope that this thread will drive a younger generation to this excellent movie (It is in colors and wide screen, young ones :) !) that I enjoyed the 1st time some 45 years ago.

OBIO
August 5th, 2010, 07:42
After reading this post, I added the movie to my Netflix DVD list. There are 10 DVDs ahead of it, but I will be watching this movie fairly soon...well, "soon" as it is defined in the Official Flight Sim Dictionary.

OBIO

Cazzie
August 5th, 2010, 08:18
My paternal grandmother never attended movies, but on her 66th birthday I took her to see TMMITFM and she laughed all the way through the movie. She said that was the first time she had been to a movie in 20 years and it was one of the funniest slapstick movies she had ever seen. Being in love with aviation, I can assure you I ate the movie up, have the video and the DVD and watch it still.

It would be great for another modern day version, but I doubt they could top that one in anyway, because those were "real" airplanes and as we all know, any new movie would be CGI and overdone.

And it was filmed at Brooklands, what more could one ask.

Caz

Dain Arns
August 5th, 2010, 08:32
Gert Frobe,...who portrayed Col. Manfred von Holstein in the movie,...was also Goldfinger in the James Bond movie of the same name. As the ol' saying goes,...they don't make actors of his caliber anymore. I truly believe that.

I think I remember reading this.
The studio was pushing hard to NOT have Gert Frobe in the role, because he had just come off the success of being the villain, Goldfinger, the year before.
They had it in their minds that the public wouldn't believe him in the role, and wouldn't find him funny.

I feel he stole the movie in most of the parts he was in Magnificent Men.
It was the last thing you expected from Frobe, as most pictures he usually played the 'heavy' (no pun intended).
Thus, I think it made him that so much more funny and enjoyable to watch.
And his 'martial music', or beatbox as the kids call it these days, was an adlib from him that was left in the movie.

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/McFj_vq3cwk&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>