PDA

View Full Version : slowing down the animated landing gear doors

Sid2008
August 3rd, 2010, 10:15
Hi, I wonder if anyone has an easy solution to this problem.

My landing gear, under animation travels faster than the gear doors, so it appears that the gears are coming out before the gear doors are completely open.

I am using FSDS 3.5 and Makemdl to compile. Does anyone know how to slow down the landing gear movement or speed up the gear door movement?

Thanks,
Sid

hairyspin
August 3rd, 2010, 11:05
As I remember, you're building for FSX? It'll be something to do with tagging the animated bits - is there a default animation time interval? The gear door animation will have to be over a shorter time than the gear animation, plus you may need to build a delay into the gear animation so that it pauses before starting.
Also check the SDK to see if the gear animation interval is governed by an entry in aircraft.cfg, like it was in earlier versions of FS. I'm making educated guesses here, since I've still to build for FSX myself.

Milton Shupe
August 3rd, 2010, 14:53
I can only relate how I do it in gmax for FS9. Maybe you can relate to it.

For the doors, I animate from frame 0 closed to around frame 10 fully opened.

For the gear, I might start at frame 8 to start the movement and frame 100 to complete it.

I use a position key at 0, then a rotation key at 8, and a position key at 100.

The reason I start the gear as the doors are nearing opened, is that many times the doors are activated by the gear movement (mechanically) depending on the aircraft.

Sid2008
August 4th, 2010, 05:32
Thank you. I guess I will go home and experiment based upon your responses.
Sid

Sid2008
August 11th, 2010, 07:03
I saw that Aircraft Container Management has a field by which I can adjust landing gear deployment speed.

I ill play with this and it will automatically adjust the aircraft.cfg file and I shall be able to slow down the landing gear.

I will keep everybody posted it this worked.

hairyspin
August 11th, 2010, 10:06
Unless I'm no longer up to speed, ACM doesn't yet handle FSX fully. But by all means use it to make some progress with your model.

When the FSX-compatible version comes out, I'll be after it like a shot!

Sid2008
August 11th, 2010, 11:09
Hairyspin,
This should work right?

1) Make a model and compile it for FS9. Design the animation tags to work in FSX as well.
2) Modify the aircraft.cfg file using ACM.
3) copy the model over to FSX and make changes in sound and textures as required.

Should'nt you end up with a flyable FSX model that has been tuned using ACM?
Sid

hairyspin
August 11th, 2010, 12:52
I think so. There's some aspects of FSX which don't work in ACM, but I don't remember exactly what right now. I use ACM on a rough & ready FS9 model to build my CFS3 config graphically, because my eyes glaze in front of lines and lines of text. Then I delete the non-CFS3 sections like [lights]

Ah, found it again. Read this:- http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=158880 (http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=158880)