PDA

View Full Version : Kodiak update

Lionheart
November 18th, 2008, 17:57
Hey guys,

For the ones that are into the Kodiak aircraft and have been waiting for the updates, I thought I would give you a heads up on what all has been happening to the girl since she was torn apart..

She has a new cabin, new panel, new seats, refinement on the fuselage, all new graphics on most all of the bird (or at least will be, wings are still the same), new struts, etc, etc.

Slowly though, she is coming to shape! (yayyyy). I never dreamt it would take this long.

Included is a screenshot of the brand new, redone cabin which features smooth window openings, thanks to the teachings of famed polygon guru Gerard (Kweetnix). Cant thank him enough.

Cheers,

Bill

Tako_Kichi
November 18th, 2008, 18:03
Nice work Bill. I love the detail in the pilot's door skin. It makes me want to reach out and touch it....lol.

BananaBob
November 18th, 2008, 18:04
Love the smoothing of the window openings, looking great Bill! :applause::applause::applause:

euroastar350
November 18th, 2008, 18:28
Looks great Bill....hope you don't suffocate the pilot with the engine exhaust gases entering the cockpit:costumes:

lifejogger
November 18th, 2008, 18:40
I like it.:jump::jump:

Lionheart
November 18th, 2008, 18:44
Looks great Bill....hope you don't suffocate the pilot with the engine exhaust gases entering the cockpit:costumes:

LOL....! (imagines the screen slowly getting tunnel vision, then fading to black... 'ding!' MS window; 'Your pilot has just passed out from exhaust fumes' ).

The new Kodiaks are usually shown with their doors fully hinged forward. Many pictures of them are like this, so I figured I would do the same on the model.

hey_moe
November 18th, 2008, 19:16
Where my private copy at? Looks outstanding as always:applause:

lucas81
November 18th, 2008, 19:42
Looks great, Bill! I like your style in the 2D art. :applause:

Marlin
November 18th, 2008, 19:54
Looks like another award winning product on its way. :ernae::applause::ernae:

MudMarine
November 18th, 2008, 20:06
Yessss!!:applause::jump::ernae: One of my fav. LH birds! Must be a good plane if Han Solo has one!!

Dain Arns
November 18th, 2008, 20:11
SAAAAWWW-WHEEET-Tah! :wavey:

Be great to climb back in the office of this one... :jump:

Thank for the update, Bill! :applause:

harleyman
November 18th, 2008, 20:29
WAH.......... I want it......:crybaby:

MCDesigns
November 18th, 2008, 20:40
Very nice Bill, will be picking this up as soon as possible!

CodyValkyrie
November 18th, 2008, 22:08
Damn Bill, I love your work ;)

Roger
November 18th, 2008, 23:26
Looking very good Bill:applause:

Ferry_vO
November 19th, 2008, 03:00
Nice white wall tyres..! :d

J/K, it looks great Bill! :applause:

txnetcop
November 19th, 2008, 03:22
Bill you never cease to amaze me. Every product is better than the last and I can't think of any of your last products that I didn't absolutely love. Outstanding my friend!:applause::applause::applause:
Ted

jmig
November 19th, 2008, 03:24
It does take time to doa complete referb, Bill. The hardest part is to find a good A&P to sign everything off.

HundertzehnGustav
November 19th, 2008, 04:05
Take the seats out, pack the Camping equipment, the bike and the Canoe in...
Take a flight to northern Canada.:wiggle:

gera
November 19th, 2008, 05:55
You got a winner there Bill!!!!!:mixedsmi: I am hoping you finish it before Christmas since I have a flight on the 25th at 11:44:03 to "Tambukaa" in Tasmania where the airfield is only 2000 ft!!!!!!!!! I need that three legged beauty to get me there safe..........Miriam Afteryball is waiting for me......don´t tell anyone!!!! am sneaking in there!!!!!!:redf:............Congratulations on your wonderful work!!!!!:applause::applause:

Brian_Gladden
November 19th, 2008, 07:57
What's the poly count sitting at Bill?

Brian

Anneke
November 19th, 2008, 09:27
Is it finished and available??

Anneke :wavey:

Lionheart
November 19th, 2008, 09:44
Hey guys,

Many thanks for the kind words.

Is it finished and available??

Not quite yet Anneke.

What's the poly count sitting at Bill?

Brian

Its right at the brink. I had to delete a ton of these cool little round cargo fasteners to get the plane to compile. I hate deleting detail. I wish someone could figure a way out to make a compiler that can make higher mesh planes with closer vertices.. arrghhh..

Anneke
November 19th, 2008, 10:30
Ready or not, it looks the part! Great stuff Bill!

doublecool
November 19th, 2008, 13:14
I am so looking forward to this Plane and that VC:kilroy::applause::applause::applause:

MorrisTheCat
November 19th, 2008, 14:58
Bill, Looooooooks Great!

Float Version?

Regards,

MoCat

Timber
November 26th, 2008, 17:10
I think Bill has this Quest Kodiak all finished and parked in his virtual hangar while they apply the final final finish coat. :wiggle::jump:

Lionheart
November 26th, 2008, 17:27
I think Bill has this Quest Kodiak all finished and parked in his virtual hangar while they apply the final final finish coat. :wiggle::jump:

Still a few things to do guys, lol..

Have to redo the manual. Going to feature the new 900X gauges in the Kodiak as they are an easier curve for people to learn. The other models will be an addon option for actual students.

Also, I have been waiting for the group that make the new floats for the Kodiak to send me their drawings. The new floats are brilliant and have a cool wave like set of lines to them. I want these things to be perfect.

Otherwise, I have been flight testing it and doing some tweaks and things. Improved some of the approach handling. Fun to nose her up at the last and flair her in for landing.

Hopefully she will roll out a week or two before Christmas. God willing and the creek dont rise, as Dad used to say.

Here's a cool intro movie on the 'real' bird.

-Z7-v6lQj7Q

Pray for me... Its harder then you think.

Bill

CG_1976
November 26th, 2008, 18:08
Lookin real sleek and sharp. You count on me to buy one. Kodiak makes a great Coast Guard Amazon AC.:d

Anneke
November 27th, 2008, 05:13
Bill does your Kodiak feature the alternating landing lights..??

Can't wait to fly this baby back to Tongass Fjords X.

jmig
November 27th, 2008, 05:40
Bill does your Kodiak feature the alternating landing lights..??

Can't wait to fly this baby back to Tongass Fjords X.

Is Tongass Fjords X out?

gera
November 27th, 2008, 05:51
She´s a Sweet Queen all right!!!!!!.....making a special Hangar for Her!!!!!!!!:ernae: Since many like "Missions", I will start making one for her, with music and all, and shoot it out as soon she is ready to fly....

Anneke
November 27th, 2008, 06:57
Is Tongass Fjords X out?

No no but nothing wrong with a little bit of wishful thinking..:jump:

EgoR64
November 27th, 2008, 15:09
:jump::ernae::jump:

Can't wait - Liked the Vid Too !!

Be good on The Alaska Adventures !! :applause::applause:

Piglet
November 27th, 2008, 16:06
Nice flap tracks! Good to see you are detailing the ends of the control surfaces as well.:wavey: You may wanna play around with the smoothing groups on those tires. Right now they got that "hard edge" on them.
And since I'm being picky, add some kind of fuselage cutout around the exhausts, so they don't look like you just stuck them on. On my A-29, the cutouts are 3D, but even just a black circle will work.
Overall, fantastic!

Sean Doran
November 27th, 2008, 19:59
It will be on my list to purchase, been looking for an aircraft to repaint and this one fits the bill nicely:ernae:

Lionheart
November 28th, 2008, 09:01
Nice flap tracks! Good to see you are detailing the ends of the control surfaces as well.:wavey: You may wanna play around with the smoothing groups on those tires. Right now they got that "hard edge" on them.
And since I'm being picky, add some kind of fuselage cutout around the exhausts, so they don't look like you just stuck them on. On my A-29, the cutouts are 3D, but even just a black circle will work.
Overall, fantastic!

Thanks Tim for the advice. The graphics are not yet done on the fuselage. I wont have 3D openings on the exhaust stacks because I have maxed out my poly limit already, but I'll definately have a black opening for them.

You dont like my knobby poly tires? arrghh.. fine.. I'll make another set with smoooothies..

:d

Bill

Piglet
November 29th, 2008, 19:02
I figured it was a WIP and things will happen down the road. Just remember it's YOUR creation, so only have yourself as boss. On my projects, one boss is enough!

Lionheart
November 29th, 2008, 20:23
Hey Tim,

Roger that man.

I did round off those tires, and in doing flight testing most of the evening, its a real improvement. Thanks for the input.

I learned in small business many years ago that the customers are actually the boss. To a degree, we are, but to another degree, without them, people like me are nothing. So I actually work for them. Weird how it works, but thats the flow chart.

But... I get to pick the planes. :d

I just wish I had a better compiler for FS9 so I can match my FSX and FS9 models for both sims.. arrgh....

Bill

Timber
December 18th, 2008, 13:46
How are things going with the Kodiak Bill, just curious, and of course wondering when it will be rolled out. Also know that well produced products take time.

Desert Rat
December 18th, 2008, 14:24
Me too, both sim versions.

I've been waiting for this one and I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket. I missed the first one, so I'm in. Is there any chance of bundling in the FS9 scenery and missions with the FS9 version? Until FSCargoX comes along, I wanna get it set up in FS9, would be sweet.

Jamie

Lionheart
December 18th, 2008, 17:12
How are things going with the Kodiak Bill, just curious, and of course wondering when it will be rolled out. Also know that well produced products take time.

Hey TheDCN,

Its now looking like it will not be ready for Christmas, unfortunately. Some things have been taking longer on it then intended.

Is there any chance of bundling in the FS9 scenery and missions with the FS9 version? Until FSCargoX comes along, I wanna get it set up in FS9, would be sweet.

Jamie

Hey Jamie,

The scenery couldnt be adapted into FSX. Its too much science to learn so the FSX version will be without the villages. I had hoped to do missions and things, but my goodness man, making a single Mission adventure was extremely sophisticated. I tried to make a simple Mission and after 3 days, I quit and got back to work on the Kodiak.

Missions are pretty cool how they work, but extremely complicated and complex. You have these perimater distance triggers and things, items are animated via flight recorder (Land Rover driving up to meet you), getting triggers to react, etc.

I am lucky to know how to make a plane in FSX, lol... Scenery and Missions will not be in the FSX package.. My humble apologies.

:banghead:

Bill

Timber
January 6th, 2009, 13:30
Any update on the progress of the Kodiak?

Lionheart
January 6th, 2009, 14:23
Hello TheDCN,

Just regrouping after Christmas, loss of the main computer, and New Years.

Some gauge work to finish and refine, graphics on the fuselage to finish up, a converted FSX version to create, then testing. New floats are now finished also, the new style that Quest is going with.

No pics worth showing yet.

:ernae:

Bill

gera
January 7th, 2009, 05:14
Way to go Bill!!!!, am waiting for this marvelous STOL for a Mission in very dangerous territories!!!! where
Dick Caveinshaw, intrepid pilot will have to cope with Nature and the Sub-Natural to bring about the survival
of the human and inhuman Races!!!!!!!.......will it come with gas????:woot:

cheezyflier
January 7th, 2009, 05:35
...must....hurry... to pay down.....credit card....

Lionheart
January 7th, 2009, 07:30
Way to go Bill!!!!, am waiting for this marvelous STOL for a Mission in very dangerous territories!!!! where
Dick Caveinshaw, intrepid pilot will have to cope with Nature and the Sub-Natural to bring about the survival
of the human and inhuman Races!!!!!!!.......will it come with gas????:woot:

Hey Gera,

Sorry I didnt make the Christmas deadline. So much going on.

Yep! All Kodiaks shipped with the wing tanks filled, complementary of Quest Aircraft LLC, and LHC Ltd. :d

Bill

EasyEd
January 7th, 2009, 19:31
Hey All,

Bill I don't know if you've noticed...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3418

I'm actually about 3 legs beyond where this thread ends - currently sitting in Belem and hope to cross to Africa this weekend. I am looking forward to finishing this project in a new plane! So move along! :a1089: :applause:

-Ed-

Lionheart
January 7th, 2009, 23:01
Hey All,

Bill I don't know if you've noticed...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3418

I'm actually about 3 legs beyond where this thread ends - currently sitting in Belem and hope to cross to Africa this weekend. I am looking forward to finishing this project in a new plane! So move along! :a1089: :applause:

-Ed-

Roger that Ed!

:rapture:

Bill

gera
January 8th, 2009, 05:12
Hey Bill, have you seen the X-Plane Kodiak?......flies great but much to be desired in looks!!!!:gossip:

Lionheart
January 8th, 2009, 08:08
Hey Bill, have you seen the X-Plane Kodiak?......flies great but much to be desired in looks!!!!:gossip:

Hey Gera,

No, I havent.. I'll look for it. Good to see someone made one for X-Plane. I wish I had the time and patience to learn to export to XP9. Id like to see an Epic LT in that sim. :d

Bill

Timber
February 15th, 2009, 08:43
Hi Bill, Could you give us an update on the Quest Kodiak
:gossip:

Lionheart
February 15th, 2009, 10:56
Hey DCN,

The FS9 version is just about finished.

The FSX version went into FSX Gmax on Monday. Most of the FSX materials have been created and the animation process's have also been done, (kind of a huge process compared with FS9). Bump mapping will be next for the FSX bird.

Sure is wild to see it with super chrome and reflective plexi. :d

Bottom line.. Its getting real close.

Bill

harleyman
February 15th, 2009, 14:22
10 - 4 .....

Get widt it dare dude..Wes needs it.........:ernae: :wave: LOL

Timber
February 15th, 2009, 17:16
Hi Bill, Could you give us an update on the Quest Kodiak
:gossip:

Thanks for the update.:woot:

Lionheart
February 26th, 2009, 19:01
Progressing right along...

New 'low profile' rivets as requested. Some of the paint work is being finished up presently.

CG_1976
February 26th, 2009, 20:13
Bill, is the USCG variant making its return in this update for Fs9 and FSX?

Lionheart
February 26th, 2009, 21:17
Bill, is the USCG variant making its return in this update for Fs9 and FSX?

Yep. :d

Timber
March 8th, 2009, 14:03
Hey Bill, Is it any closer? I have some routes in Papau New Guinea, Rangiroa, and the States that need a Kodiak. Some water landings, some tight mountain airstrips, and all that.
:woot::woot::woot: