PDA

View Full Version : Urban autogen patch for Orbx FTX PNW (public beta)

dswo
August 2nd, 2010, 02:48
I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds promising: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=24558.0

John Venema: "We're delighted to invite all PNW customers to publically test part of the PNW.003 release. This small patch is a sub-component of the PNW.003 release due later in the year, and will provide you with much improved peformance in large city and urban areas such as Seattle, Vancouver and Portland."
Downloads for (a) patch and (b) restore: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?board=142.0

Patch reports: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?board=142.0

Dain Arns
August 2nd, 2010, 04:54
I'll try it.

One of my favorite pads to land on is the Portland Trauma Center scenery over at HC.
It meshes nicely with PNW, but at 4-6fps in Portland, it makes it...."interesting" to land on. :icon_lol:

deimos256
August 2nd, 2010, 07:52
I guess I'll have to give this a try. I been away from fsx since around march and found pnw unflyable around busy areas. I guess I'll redownload pnw and try it out when I get home from work.

NWarty
August 2nd, 2010, 09:10
Hope this helps.

Landing anywhere near Seattle or Portland in the F1 Mustang or complex add-on is frustrating with single-digit frames. My hardware is no slouch.

NWarty
August 2nd, 2010, 12:23
Okay, good news to report! :wiggle:

Current system setup is an i7 920 oc'd to 3.6, GTX260, 6 GB of DDR3 on a 1TB drive. I've got most sliders right, except autogen at "dense", mesh at 5m and mid 2x water. Frame lock set to "unlimited". Running REX clouds, UT2 at 55% for both Commercial and GA, 12% car traffic, 20% boat and leisure craft.

- With the F1 Mustang I was getting 6-7 FPS on the ground at KSEA, daytime with fair weather.
- With the Beta 3 patch, I'm getting 14-15 on the ground and MUCH smoother.

The heaviest hitting aircraft add-on and heaviest hitting scenery add-on are now flyable together :jump:

ryanbatc
August 2nd, 2010, 13:11
Hope this helps.

Landing anywhere near Seattle or Portland in the F1 Mustang or complex add-on is frustrating with single-digit frames. My hardware is no slouch.

My system is but I can't really fly big cities anyway in PNW... I've also noticed I can't touch PNW if I'm running the FPS limiter bat file either... so I have to use the default fsx.exe to run FSX while flying PNW arrgh

Dain Arns
August 2nd, 2010, 13:25
No change here at all.
In fact I think it was worse by about 4-8fps.
Ground textures were all blurry too. :frown:

falcon409
August 2nd, 2010, 16:02
Same here Dain, virtually (no pun intended, lol) no change. I even adjusted the autogen per cell and tree per cell numbers in the FSX.cfg and it had no effect. Areas out side of Seattle and Portland I really enjoy, but those areas, with the overwhelming amount of autogen packed in there. . .nothing is going to make that super smooth without a very high end system.:salute:

deimos256
August 2nd, 2010, 17:05
didnt change anything for me. I have never had FPS issues it was always blurries, and even after a ram upgrade nothing changed. Pretty frustrating really, Come to think of it thats why i took my little FSX break

txnetcop
August 2nd, 2010, 18:36
No change for me either but I wasn't having any real problems with Q9550 and the Nvidia GTX260OC anyway. I have my frames locked at 32 in PNW and it falls to 22 depending on my approach in Portland and SEATAC with most everything pushed over to the right. I have my AI turned up to 100%. Turning this down would give me more consistent frame rates. The big difference for me was OCing from 3.8 to 4.2Ghz!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

falcon409
August 2nd, 2010, 19:03
No change for me either but I wasn't having any real problems with Q9550 and the Nvidia GTX260OC anyway. I have my frames locked at 32 in PNW and it falls to 22 depending on my approach in Portland and SEATAC with most everything pushed over to the right. I have my AI turned up to 100%. Turning this down would give me more consistent frame rates. The big difference for me was OCing from 3.8 to 4.2Ghz!
Ted
Good Grief. . . .nobody likes a showoff Ted, lol, lol.

ryanbatc
August 2nd, 2010, 19:10
What exactly does this patch do?

Just it does remove the amount of houses and trees per cell?

falcon409
August 2nd, 2010, 19:15
What exactly does this patch do? Just it does remove the amount of houses and trees per cell?
I don't believe so. . .and I only say that because when I went into my FSX.cfg file to check those numbers, they were still where I had put them and decreasing those numbers by more than half, made no difference.

DaveKDEN
August 2nd, 2010, 19:32
I think it's helping for me. Maybe my (getting older) system is better served by this patch than those with better specs.

ryanbatc
August 2nd, 2010, 19:35
Dave what are you running? My system is old too... I've noticed after a little investigating that houses really kill performance in PNW compared to default scenery. I can fly around those dense forests fine but when the houses and buildings show up bad things happen.

koorby
August 2nd, 2010, 20:29
All that this patch does is reduce the amount of streetlights that are annotated on the landclass texture tiles. Anyone getting lower FPS after installing the patch is at odds with the vast majority of testing reports we've received. Purely from a polygon pushing point of view you have to get better FPS with the patch installed.

Needless to say, if your hardware is marginal in the first place, the patch probably won't do much to help.

DaveKDEN
August 3rd, 2010, 06:27
Dave what are you running? My system is old too... I've noticed after a little investigating that houses really kill performance in PNW compared to default scenery. I can fly around those dense forests fine but when the houses and buildings show up bad things happen.

Dell Dimension XPS-630i;
Intel Q6600 o/c'd to 3.0GHz, 4 GB RAM, 768MB GF 8800GTX, Win VISTA Ultimate 32 bit, full install of FSX + Acceleration.

falcon409
August 3rd, 2010, 06:35
All that this patch does is reduce the amount of streetlights that are annotated on the landclass texture tiles.
That would have been good to know before testing. . . .if it was noted somewhere on the Orbyx site then my apologies. Had I known that, I wouldn't have bothered as the big FPS hits come from the buildings and trees and I seldom fly at night which I assume is when those objects would have the most impact.

As I mentioned in my report though, my system is on the edge as far as squeezing out any performance improvements from any patch. My Vid Card is over the hill and my CPU needs to be upgraded also.

Aviator32
August 3rd, 2010, 09:23
Made a noticeable difference for me. PNW is much smoother now.

txnetcop
August 3rd, 2010, 10:34
Good Grief. . . .nobody likes a showoff Ted, lol, lol.

Uhhhhh....sorry.....I'll go to my room now:173go1:LOL

deimos256
August 3rd, 2010, 11:17
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but would upping my ram from 4 to 6 gig have any effect?

txnetcop
August 3rd, 2010, 11:35
If you are using Win7 64 bit there could be some benefit.

koorby
August 3rd, 2010, 15:06
That would have been good to know before testing. . . .if it was noted somewhere on the Orbyx site then my apologies. Had I known that, I wouldn't have bothered as the big FPS hits come from the buildings and trees and I seldom fly at night which I assume is when those objects would have the most impact.

As I mentioned in my report though, my system is on the edge as far as squeezing out any performance improvements from any patch. My Vid Card is over the hill and my CPU needs to be upgraded also.

Those streetlights take a hit 24/7, since their polygons are still displayed during the day.