PDA

View Full Version : Staying in or go outside... ??

Javis
August 1st, 2010, 18:03
One of the things i enjoy most with FS is the External View mode i.e. Spotview, Fly-by or Tower view. One of the things i missed most in earlier FS versions was a Fly-By view ( which happend to be present in other, militairy flight sims ) I was therefore bolted over with extacy when Anticyclone's 'Active Camera' was released and, a.o., gave us this ' Fly-By' view. ( i still think AC's Fly-By view is way better than FSX Fly-By view, alas Anticyclone gave up support for AC with FSX...:frown: )

Before going into details ( like f.i. a clever option to get another great AC feature, i.e ' Approach View', back into FSX ) i thought it would be interesting to see how many of you actually use these various External View modes, including Replay. For a long time already i am aware of the fact that it's not exactly "a Law of Medes and Persian's" that every FSimmer uses these options just because the're there...

Many simmers don't seem to care about External Views ( let alone view ones take-off or landing in Replay mode over and over again, like i do.... ) simply because they find it unrealistic, which it is of course.... They prefer to 'stay inside', from boarding their virtual plane to parking it at the destination, like they would with the real thing.

So in what camp are you actually...?? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Jan

Navy Chief
August 1st, 2010, 18:10
I really enjoy the external spot views, especially on landings...... Flying with just internal view is ok, but I truly appreciate looking at the aircraft in flight.

NC

mikew
August 1st, 2010, 18:16
I'm definitely an external view, watch replay several times kind of guy. I like to do re-paints so the external view is a must. I fly GA or smaller military exclusively and do usually follow procedures for take off and landing and definitely use the VC during those times but when cruise altitude is reached I find myself in spot view more often. Hey that's part of the fun of FSX being a simulator. I can step out into thin air and fly along!

Mike

heywooood
August 1st, 2010, 18:21
of course I want to fly the plane from inside the cockpit

and who doesn't want to view their approach and flare to touchdown from outside the aircraft?

how else can you fully appreciate this flight simulator if not to take advantage of that ability?

bkeske
August 1st, 2010, 18:37
I use external locked spot view during flight, primarily because I take screen shots during every flight (don't ask how backed-up I am with editing all those shots). I also typically replay about 300-500 seconds after parking, again, to take screen shots of the approach and landing.

Why? Well, primarily because all these shots after edit are my screen saver.....and .....well....I enjoy them :wiggle:

It never ceases to amaze me that I can sit and watch all these shots 'go by' when the screen saver kicks in, and I swear, I can almost remember each flight....and these are going back a few years now. Well, at least I think I can....ahhhh....memories....It is also a reminder of my sim in various states, and perhaps some aircraft I have not flown in a while. :kilroy:

Javis
August 1st, 2010, 18:45
Dang! I forgat to check the 'multiple choice' option... :redface:

and who doesn't want to view their approach and flare to touchdown from outside the aircraft? how else can you fully appreciate this flight simulator if not to take advantage of that ability?

That happens to be exactly my uhhh... view, but particularly at Avsim i noticed a lot of FSimmers don't give a hoot about an external model. I can imagine this might be different overhere, just thought it might be interesting to check it out..

cheers,
jan

tanocapo
August 1st, 2010, 18:47
I'm stuck to VC as a drunk man to a post!! I only change to an external view in my pushback as if i were a marshal.
I'm recently using the repeat function. Not that i didn't know how to use it or where it was, but now i'm taking the best of it, in conjunction with FSC Flight Analysis.

Best regards,
Ignacio

heywooood
August 1st, 2010, 18:55
Dang! I forgat to check the 'multiple choice' option... :redface:

That happens to be exactly my uhhh... view, but particularly at Avsim i noticed a lot of FSimmers don't give a hoot about an external model. I can imagine this might be different overhere, just thought it might be interesting to check it out..

cheers,
jan

I suppose I could imagine a very narrow focus flight training simulator where that would be ideal...no option for an external view as it would be unnecessary and without resources being 'wasted' on the external 3d model, more could then be spent on systems and flight dynamics or environments or whatever.

but that is not what FSX is about

Dain Arns
August 1st, 2010, 18:57
I don't get that wrapped up about the outside of the box.
Give me a quality VC and I'm happy.

robert41
August 1st, 2010, 18:57
I often use spot view to get a better look at the scenery and aircraft when flying. Sometimes I will use replay in tower view to watch a good landing or an aerobatic flight. Otherwise I fly in the VC.

Javis
August 1st, 2010, 19:17
and who doesn't want to view their approach and flare to touchdown from outside the aircraft?

We'll probabely see when this poll has ended.. :)

But HOW do you view your approach and landing externally ?....

And are you happy with that ?...

cheers,
jan

falcon409
August 1st, 2010, 19:25
. . . .But HOW do you view your approach and landing externally ?. . . . cheers,
jan
"Tower View" in most cases. I agree that the "Approach View" in AC was the very best, I really missed that along with the VC movements available. Too bad they gave up the ghost with FSX.

I also use the external view, mostly for screenshots, but my total flying time is spent about 90% in the VC. Back in FS9, when I first started flying, I used FSNavigator to fly the approach and landing. . .it was from watching those replays that I learned how to land. After I got beyond that initial "let someone else fly the plane" mode, I started using the Instant Replay to critique my landings. . .it's a great tool for spotting things you are doing wrong on approach or landing.

heywooood
August 1st, 2010, 19:42
We'll probabely see when this poll has ended.. :)

But HOW do you view your approach and landing externally ?....

And are you happy with that ?...

cheers,
jan

I have a horrible method - I switch to the external fly-by view just as I come over the boundary or fence...

I tried FRAPS but as I have a lower end machine, I cant afford to give up the FPS that it costs...

I would LOVE it if FSX had a track recording system like Il2 had or like RoF has -
seriously - why doesn't it ???

Sundog
August 1st, 2010, 20:06
When I'm flying, maneuvering, I'm usually in the cockpit. Sometimes when I maneuver, I'm in external view, if it isn't very agile maneuvering, or if I'm pulling sustained G's, since FS has you blacked out at 7g's which is one of my pet peeves with FS.

When I'm taking screenshots, definitely external, when I'm on autopilot, I'm in external view enjoying the look of the aircraft and enjoying the scenery and looking for great lighting for screenshots. I should say, as long as I know I don't have to do any active cockpit work for NAV, etc.

If the exterior of an aircraft I have isn't very well done, I probably won't fly it much because it "bothers" me when it's wrong. But I'm kind of pathological in my appreciation for aircraft. :isadizzy:

I guess for me it's about half and half. Although, I can forgive a not accurate cockpit much easier than I can a not accurate exterior.

cheezyflier
August 1st, 2010, 20:30
i'm outside at least 90% of the time, and i almost always view my landing. i like seeing when i do well. it's rare, and that makes it a treat! :icon_lol:

truth is, one of the only planes i fly from inside is piglet's AA-5B.

robcap
August 1st, 2010, 21:59
Dang! I forgat to check the 'multiple choice' option... :redface: Indeed, so I check out the external model and the scenery, from all angles, while in flight. Sometime I check my landings from the outside view.

R.

cajj1
August 2nd, 2010, 02:49
This is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. So many FS developers both free and payware make amazing internal and external models. If I've paid 20 odd quid for a model why wouldn't I want to use the external view as well as the internal?

bazzar
August 2nd, 2010, 04:07
If you have access to the SDKs and the knowlege and patience to do it, the FSX camera views available in the CFG are almost infinite and can add so much extra to your experience.

You can set up anything from watching the tyres as they hit the deck to great approach angles and unusual viewpoints all around the aeroplane.

If there is a particularly interesting animation on your aircraft, set a camera view where you can see it operate and the airspace around you. The choices are limitless. Camera views can be set for panning or fixed cameras, different lenses and angles of tilt and pitch. It's a lot of fun and a great way to explore your new purchase.

cheezyflier
August 2nd, 2010, 07:54
i wish i could do that. fs9 has some of the most retarded "tower views" imaginable.

Tweek
August 2nd, 2010, 08:21
I only fly from the cockpit when I 'can be bothered', seeing as it requires setting TrackIR up, and using it, while fun, tends to be a little more stressful. So if I just want to slouch in my chair and have a quick dart about the sky, I'll just settle for locked spot view and the hat switch.

Also, tower view is great for pratting around, working out what looks good in display sequences, and generally admiring the external model of an aircraft. Not to mention viewing replays of stuff you've been doing whilst using the cockpit view.

tracyq144
August 2nd, 2010, 11:07
I use both, of course. I love watching takeoffs and landings using the external views. To me, one of the most graceful parts of flight is seeing an aircraft, no matter what size, slipping in for a landing.

A couple of things maybe someone on this board could help me with, though, is that in flyby view, my scenery goes straight into the crapper! Also, is there a way that "my" viewpoint can be made stationary in relationship to the a/c? Presently, it seems as if I am in a slower plane, not at a fixed point in space. (Wondering if the latter may be causing the former?)

Odie
August 2nd, 2010, 13:25
I stay outside the plane....a lot! So much so that the seat should be on the wings! The only time I'm in the pit is take-off and landing.

Roger
August 2nd, 2010, 14:55
I stay outside the plane....a lot! So much so that the seat should be on the wings! The only time I'm in the pit is take-off and landing.

Same here. I often add auto-pilot to aircraft that don't have it so I can sit outside (gradual transition of course) and soak up the plane and scenery...I have no ambitions to be a virtual pilot.

HighGround22
August 2nd, 2010, 15:30
Dang! I forgat to check the 'multiple choice' option... :redface: . . . .Yeah, I figured sump'n like that happened, since I had more than one answer that applied.

skyblazer3
August 2nd, 2010, 15:40
My friends and I go to both extremes. We record each of our flights using FS Recorder, and then play them back.

For example, last night, we flew four Section F8s F-86 in four different korean war paints. We synchronized the start of our recorders, and flew the entire flight from the VC with our graphics turned down. We flew out of George AFB over to Barstow field and did some formation passes in a diamond and finger-four. We then flew back to George in an echelon and broke into a landing.

After the flight we all left multiplayer (staying in a teamspeak) and jumped into single player to play back our flight in synchronization with one another. We set up at Barstow and watched the F-86s peek over the horizon and (now with our settings on high) we could enjoy the scenery and 3d models without having to worry about low frames while flying. Because our FS Recorder files were started at the same time, we can advance and rewind them in synch with one another and comment on exactly what we are seeing. It's like having a warbird air show every night.

We view the replay from the ground using a VC-less aircraft and a slight modification to the camera.cfg file... but you could just as easily watch it from the tower view or from spot view. Throw in some AI sounds and some of your favorite music on a play-list and you really have something beautiful.

I highly recommend FS Recorder for this sort of thing. Some people use it to practice formation flying off of themselves, but for me the best use is to see these wonderful aircraft from the ground. The best part is that we have a record of each flight and can watch particularly exciting flights over and over.

in short.... I think flying is best done from the VC..... but in FSX we can have total concentration on the flying, and then a total appreciation for the aesthetics of the model using FS Recorder.

Chris Eells

Javis
August 2nd, 2010, 17:24
Sounds fantastic, Chris ! :cool:

Javis
August 2nd, 2010, 17:28
This is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. So many FS developers both free and payware make amazing internal and external models. If I've paid 20 odd quid for a model why wouldn't I want to use the external view as well as the internal?

I've seen people asking how to remove the external model.... they fly only with a panel or VC and think the external is just a waste... ( not here, mind you... :d )

Javis
August 2nd, 2010, 17:45
Thanks for all interesting replies,guys. It seems like External view is pretty much in favour here as opposed to our Avsim collegues ( atleast a couple years ago, i do not frequent Avsim that much anymore) but then again they probabely ain't anticipating the next Grumman Cat, Spitfire or P-51 iteration like we do overhere. What's the fun in viewing another Airbus or Boeing SoandSo,'eh ?.... :p: ( just kidding, actually the sight of a 747 or 777 taking off or landing in 'Approach View' is something truly spectacular ! :icon_eek: )

While it seems that it's only Falcon and me really missing Active Camera in FSX, something i was interested in to know and one of the reasons i posted this poll ( i should've added " did you use Active Camera in FS9 Yes/No " but it's my first poll so i hope i am excused ) i believe now that you all might be interested in this little mod to the FSX Cameras.cfg.

It gave me back my beloved AC 'Approach View' and it was the first thing i added to my freshly installed FSX on my brand new monster machine.I just can't enjoy FSX without it.

It is actually setup by a clever young guy by the name of Tom i met at Avsim, already a few years ago. As you probabely know there is a totally useless default Camera setup by the name of 'Runway' and it's this view that Tom modified to serve as 'Approach View'. Yep, and, at some points it is even better than AC's 'Approach View' as you have not only one camera at hand but as much cameras as there are runways at any particular airport. Even if there is only one runway you still have two cameras at your disposal.

And they are not 'static' like AC's Approach View but you can move yourself along the runways (or any place around an airport) to your heart's content. You can do this by using the Ctrl/Shift/Enter/Back key combinations and will probabely take some effort to get used to.

SO if you like to give it try ( highly recommended) open up your FSX Cameras.cfg ( might wanna make a copy of it first) and find [CameraDefinition.009]. Cut that and replace with this :

[CameraDefinition.009]
Title = Facilities Runway
Guid = {607C4520-CA6F-4135-AE10-8BF28838068F}
Description = This is the description of the runway view.
Origin = Fixed
InstancedBased = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
TargetCategory = Container
Track = Track
ShowAxis = Yes
AllowZoom = Yes
InitialZoom = 1.0
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
Transition = No
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Runway
CycleHideRadius = 7
ClipMode = Spot
CycleHidden=Yes

Don't forget to save it.

At your next landing ( or take-off) go into Replay mode (check Repeat Replay Continuously) and view first from the Tower View ( just so you can appreciate what's coming next ) when next Replay starts right click your screen and select 'Runway' from the pop-up menu. Click the runway that corresponds with the airport ID and Runway nr. you're landing at or taking-off from.

Et voila, you're walking around in the neighbourhood of the chosen runway, use Ctrl/Back, Ctrl/Enter, or Ctrl/Shift/Back,Ctrl/Shift/Enter to get closer or move to the other side of the runway so you'll have 'the sun' in your back. If you keep pressing the key combo you'll go very fast, you can always use Ctrl/Space to stop the motion instantly. If you want to make yourself taller: Shift/Enter, sit down on your knees and pray : Shift/Back.

Also try all other runways available, you can use those to setup more cameras along the runway and just hit 'A' to cycle through all cameras as your plane comes in and settles down on the runway. Just like in the movies.

If you've got some aircraft spotters blood running thru your vains you wouldn't want to miss this. RW spotters will be totally envious ! :ipepsi2:

Btw, Tom is not only making clever changes to the FSX Cameras.cfg or flying his beloved P-51 virtually only. Some extra nice videos here of his tutorial flight in the back seat of 'Crazy Horse', a TF-51D Mustang flown out of Stallion 51 in Kissimmee Florida. I'd say a must for all P-51 aficionados here ( if you haven't seen those 20 times already of course :d ) :

Part 1 : http://youtu.be/0vapvp_YvSc
Part 2 : http://youtu.be/eoUF2MfDSiI
Part 3 : http://youtu.be/xpaGwxdvs74

Cheers,
Jan

skyblazer3
August 2nd, 2010, 17:46
Not a waste at all! Even if you don't fly formation, the external model is critical for those who fly on multiplayer at all. I can't imagine what virtual air lines would do without external models to know who was taxing where and to be able to spot folks in the pattern.

PRB
August 2nd, 2010, 17:53
While actually flying, the majority of time is spent in the cockpit. However, after each flight I view 120 seconds of the replay to watch the landing, from outside. Very cool. Also, when online, it's fun to get screen shots of your plane and the rest of the gaggle, in formation, well, a loose formation, well ok, we're just all flying in the same general direction, winging toward adventure and generalized skulldugerry and mayhem.

Txmmy83
August 3rd, 2010, 02:50
as FSX Aerobatic Pilot I often Fly plane from external views or Tower Spot view like a RC Plane which is lot of fun

Best Regards
Tom

Bjoern
August 3rd, 2010, 12:25
External: For screenshots and "pre-flights".

Replay: Never.

skyblazer3
August 3rd, 2010, 21:38
Jan,

Is there a way to configure that approach camera so that it does not move, but rather stays fixed on the runway?

I like it very much, but with time it spirals away from the field and I am unable to control it with the keys you suggested using.

Chris

Javis
August 4th, 2010, 16:43
Jan,Is there a way to configure that approach camera so that it does not move, but rather stays fixed on the runway? I like it very much, but with time it spirals away from the field and I am unable to control it with the keys you suggested using.Chris

Hey Chris,

You mean nothing happens when you use any of the key combo's ?...

They are the same as the default VC eyepoint movement keys. ( check if they are set correctly in Settings/Controls/Buttons-Keys/Views/Eyepoint ) Do they work for you ?....

After you have used any of the key combo's to move around it is important to hit Ctrl/Space. It should stop all motion of the camera ( default reset eyepoint )

Cheers,
Jan

skyblazer3
August 4th, 2010, 18:33
Jan,

It turns out that my head-tracking software was to blame.... If I disable free-track then I can stop the motion and all works out. Thanks for the information -- it is a very nice feature.

Chris

fsafranek
August 4th, 2010, 22:21
Seems like two polls in one. I picked that I use the instant replay but I also spend a lot of time in external view. I love watching the aircraft move against the background. That's why I paint them.
:ernae:

Javis
August 5th, 2010, 18:23
It turns out that my head-tracking software was to blame.... If I disable free-track then I can stop the motion and all works out. Thanks for the information -- it is a very nice feature.

Ok, good to know, Chris ! :)

cheers,
jan

Javis
August 5th, 2010, 18:29
Seems like two polls in one. I picked that I use the instant replay but I also spend a lot of time in external view. I love watching the aircraft move against the background. That's why I paint them.
:ernae:

Yeah, i know, Frank, sorry, my first poll.... can't edit these things, atleast i don't think so... :redface:

cheers,
jan

Javis
August 5th, 2010, 18:37
.... or Tower Spot view like a RC Plane which is lot of fun

It is ! I do that a lot too ( have RealFlight for the 'serious' RC stuff though.. :) )

cheers,
jan

Daube
August 9th, 2010, 05:25
When I pilot the plane, I stay in the virtual cockpit.
When I take screenshots, I use both the virtual cockpit and the various external views, but with the simulation paused, so that I can take my time to get a good angle of view.

I never use the Replay functionnality, at least not the native one. I use FS Recorder, but only for formation flights.

Snuffy
August 13th, 2010, 04:02
Its probably all my own fault that I go outside more frequently than I should as I don't own a tracker. I find manipulation of views inside the pit to be cumbersome and detracting from the sim, as I have to take my eyes off the screen and look at the keyboard to make sure I'm pressing the right keys to get the right function. Especially in non click-able pits.

If the pit is click-able and I can access all the toggles, buttons, arms, and what have you, with my mouse, I find myself more frequently inside. The A2A B-17 is one of the few aircraft I jump outside with any more ... sure I like to take a look at what my plane looks like in flight, but the pit of that bird is so immaculately done that I hate leaving it.

I probably should invest one day in a tracker ... lol!