PDA

View Full Version : How many video cards?

PRB
July 31st, 2010, 18:17
Here is my old system:

MB: Asus P6T Deluxe (LGA1366)
CHIPSET: IntelŪ X58 / ICH10R
CPU: Core i7 920 2.66Ghz (LGA1366)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3/1333MHz Non-ECC Non-Registered Memory Module
VIDEO: NVIDIA 9800GTX+ 512MB Dual DVI (PCI-E) Video Card (2)
SOUND: ADIŪ AD2000B 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

I had two video cards, each with two video connectors. But I only have two monitors. If I removed one of the video cards, do I loose performance? In other words, do the two video cards chare video processing, even if only one of them has monitors plugged into it? If so, then removing one would result in a perfomance hit, right? Is that how it works?

I'm shopping for a new system and I'm leaning towards one honkin video card instead of two, but I'm not sure that's a smart "strategery"...

stansdds
August 1st, 2010, 03:14
I've never tried a dual monitor or dual video card set up, but I'll step out on a limb and say "yes", you will lose performance by running two monitors off of a single card instead of a pair of cards.

txnetcop
August 1st, 2010, 07:15
Yes you will! In fact the higher the resolution you run it you will see performance drop on most game software. Some software is optimized to run two monitors on one video card. What you might consider is moving to a GTX470/480 just make sure you have the juice to run it

Cazzie
August 1st, 2010, 07:47
I use two nVidia 9600GS cards in an SLI hook-up. One card does the vid work, the other is dedicated to PhysX.

Caz

PRB
August 1st, 2010, 11:31
Thanks, guys. That's kind of what I thought was happening. Shopping for a new computer these days is more complicated than it used to be. Lots of choices.

demorier
August 10th, 2010, 21:24
That's a pretty high spec computer PRB. Are you sure you need to mess with it at this stage ?

PRB
August 13th, 2010, 15:12
That's a pretty high spec computer PRB. Are you sure you need to mess with it at this stage ?

Well, it came with two video cards. The reason for this thread was that the computer started failing with BSDs and inability to boot. The problem turned out to be one of those two video cards. At present I have only one installed, and she runs like the same speed demon she was with two video cards, so I'll continue in this configuration for a while! Glad I didn't go out and buy a new computer after all!