PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek Movie

Gdavis101
November 18th, 2008, 14:51
Have you guys seen the new trailer...? Looks pretty good.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Lionheart
November 18th, 2008, 15:12
Hey....! Looking good!

San Francisco Ship Yards.

It will be cool when we start putting huge craft in space. I hope I live to see it.

Bill

Panther_99FS
November 18th, 2008, 15:21
Kirk ruined a perfectly good Vette! :banghead::d

MCDesigns
November 18th, 2008, 15:26
Dang, wanted to watch it, but it requires quicktime :banghead: (refuse to install that again!)

I'm always up for a new Star Trek movie, and this looks like a nice one. If you go to the official site, there are some great images, they almost look like younger versions of the original cast and I love the detailed, slightly modern versions of the original uniforms, sweet!

I was a HUGE fan of the original series when I was young, had a model tricorder and phaser and my Mom made me an authentic looking outfit when I was 12. I remember William Shatner doing a speaking presentation at A&M and my parents took me and I dressed up for it, LOL.

Add another future must see movie to the list (next to Thor and the Captain America movies! LOL)

Panther_99FS
November 18th, 2008, 15:38
Dang, wanted to watch it, but it requires quicktime :banghead: (refuse to install that again!)

I watched it on my iPhone...:mixedsmi:

Dain Arns
November 18th, 2008, 16:10
Well, I have to say it, and it'll be offensive to some fans out there. My apologies up front... :173go1:

After seeing that trailer this past weekend, I no longer have an interest in seeing this movie next May. I am completely tired of the predictable, formula made, ripped off from "The Matrix" slow motion action scenes, only action oriented, plot lacking, over sexed, over-hyped and over-advertised, "re-imaginings" that Hollywood feels so compelled to strictly make these days. Frankly this looks like, in my opinion, just any other craptastic summer movie made in the last 10 years.

I don't think I was the only one who felt this way when they saw the trailer in the theater. Stunned silence is the best way to describe the audience reaction after they were completely pummeled with this trailer before the start of the Bond flick.

Yes, I'm old and crabby and I don't like my Star Trek universe changed for strictly monetary gain of a major motion picture studio. So, I'll stick to the remastered Original Series DVD's, they are wonderful, beautiful, well cast, and still have terrific stories to this very day. Good writing, that is why the original series has lasted nearly a half century so far, not mindless, action oriented, sexually overflowing drivel like what I'm seeing in this upcoming flick's preview. Yeah, we all know Kirk was the ladies man, but he was a gentleman first. I'm very disappointed in the downward direction Paramount has decided to take the "Star Trek Universe", in case it wasn't obvious to anyone at this point.

Again, sorry. This rant has been boiling in me since the weekend.
In the genre of Dr. Cox, "Flame away, Martha. I'm a big boy". :icon_lol:

:a1451: :a1451: :a1451:

DaveKDEN
November 18th, 2008, 16:47
Well, I have to say it, and it'll be offensive to some fans out there. My apologies up front... :173go1:

After seeing that trailer this past weekend, I no longer have an interest in seeing this movie next May. I am completely tired of the predictable, formula made, ripped off from "The Matrix" slow motion action scenes, only action oriented, plot lacking, over sexed, over-hyped and over-advertised, "re-imaginings" that Hollywood feels so compelled to strictly make these days. Frankly this looks like, in my opinion, just any other craptastic summer movie made in the last 10 years.

I don't think I was the only one who felt this way when they saw the trailer in the theater. Stunned silence is the best way to describe the audience reaction after they were completely pummeled with this trailer before the start of the Bond flick.

Yes, I'm old and crabby and I don't like my Star Trek universe changed for strictly monetary gain of a major motion picture studio. So, I'll stick to the remastered Original Series DVD's, they are wonderful, beautiful, well cast, and still have terrific stories to this very day. Good writing, that is why the original series has lasted nearly a half century so far, not mindless, action oriented, sexually overflowing drivel like what I'm seeing in this upcoming flick's preview. Yeah, we all know Kirk was the ladies man, but he was a gentleman first. I'm very disappointed in the downward direction Paramount has decided to take the "Star Trek Universe", in case it wasn't obvious to anyone at this point.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I noticed your from Brookings, SD there Dain. Just spent 30+ hours on a layover down in Sioux Falls yesterday (got back this afternoon).

Gdavis101
November 18th, 2008, 17:29

I am just glad to see Star Trek with some new life in it.

Dr. Cox is to cool!

Dain Arns
November 18th, 2008, 18:53
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I noticed your from Brookings, SD there Dain. Just spent 30+ hours on a layover down in Sioux Falls yesterday (got back this afternoon).

My heartfelt and deepest apologies. Oh, Soo Foo isn't that bad of a town I guess... :costumes:

I am just glad to see Star Trek with some new life in it.

Dr. Cox is to cool!

I agree. Any Trek is usually fine with me, but I felt a little bit of my youth die inside when I saw that trailer. This is the same guy that did "Cloverfield" by the way... :costumes:

I'd be ecstatic if I found out I was totally and absolutely wrong next May about this newest Trek movie, but my gut is telling me differently. I had this same gut feeling about the Tim Burton version of "Planet Of The Apes". Sorry to re-open that horrible old wound. Should have listened to my gut then. I knew Marky Mark was no Chuck Heston. :isadizzy:

MCDesigns
November 18th, 2008, 18:54
So curious Dain, any newer movies you like and what are they?

cheezyflier
November 18th, 2008, 19:45
dain, there is alot you said that isn't hard to agree with. (for me)
especially the part about marky mark :costumes:

Dain Arns
November 18th, 2008, 19:55
So curious Dain, any newer movies you like and what are they?

Maybe eating a bit of crow here. This year, I thought "Ironman" was okay, perfectly cast with Robert Downley, Jr.

The Batman flick, "The Dark Knight" was outstanding. Sad about Heath Ledger. But they finally got it right with that movie. Shows you can make a good superhero flick afterall when you have good writing.

I have recently gone to the movie, "Fireproof". Technically not a great movie, only made with a budget of $500,000, but the story was a good one, and original. Highly recommend it.

Last year liked "Hot Fuzz". Quintin Tarantino and Robert Rodriquez "Grindhouse" movies were enjoyable. The Edith Piaf biopic, "La Vie En Rose". Enjoyed "Charlie Wilson's War". Not great movies but still liked, "The Astronaut Farmer" (Guy builds own Mercury space capsule, goes to space, satisfied a personal fantasy there :icon_lol:) and "Mr. Bean's Holiday". Always been a Rowan Atkinson fan.

Otherwise I find myself having shifted to watching a lot of movies these days from the 1920's to 1980's on DVD. Actually right now watching season 5 of "Mission: Impossible", and re-watching the entire "Due South" series with my best friend. I have her and her youngest son hooked on the adventures of Constable Benton Fraser of the R.C.M.P. and his half-wolf Diefenbaker.

Okay that's way more about me than I want to go any further on about. Feel like its too much about me at this point. :costumes:

Willy
November 18th, 2008, 19:59
Heck the only new movie I've watched this year was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And I have to admit that once I started getting into it, I enjoyed it. But then I always was an Indy fan.

Dain Arns
November 18th, 2008, 20:06
Heck the only new movie I've watched this year was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And I have to admit that once I started getting into it, I enjoyed it. But then I always was an Indy fan.

I went to it. It was okay. No major complaints, you got what you paid for, and it paid off for entertainment. But it just seemed like Indy (Harrison Ford) was....tired. :costumes:

Gdavis101
November 18th, 2008, 20:10
My heartfelt and deepest apologies. Oh, Soo Foo isn't that bad of a town I guess... :costumes:

I agree. Any Trek is usually fine with me, but I felt a little bit of my youth die inside when I saw that trailer. This is the same guy that did "Cloverfield" by the way... :costumes:

I'd be ecstatic if I found out I was totally and absolutely wrong next May about this newest Trek movie, but my gut is telling me differently. I had this same gut feeling about the Tim Burton version of "Planet Of The Apes". Sorry to re-open that horrible old wound. Should have listened to my gut then. I knew Marky Mark was no Chuck Heston. :isadizzy:

Hmm, Cloverfield huh? I am still trying to figure what I watched there. I think I enjoyed the Southpark recreation of Cloverfield, giant hampsters attacking the citizens of Southpark.

Nonetheless, I am anxious to see the new Trek movie. If anything just to see the Enterprise and Leonard Nimoy in a cameo again on the big screen.

Dain Arns
November 18th, 2008, 20:21
Hmm, Cloverfield huh? I am still trying to figure what I watched there. I think I enjoyed the Southpark recreation of Cloverfield, giant hampsters attacking the citizens of Southpark.

It's rare anymore, but South Park still has its moments. :icon_lol:

Eoraptor1
November 18th, 2008, 20:30
I saw the trailer before Quantum of Solace. I'll reserve judgement until the film comes out. One thing that did catch my attention was that it looked like Spock was laying the smack down on Kirk. Fans will remember that this has happened before; after Kirk made a comment about Spock's Mama. In my neighborhood this does not do. I guess it's the same in deep space...

Dain, I do understand some of your trepidation, but you let Kirk slide on being a ho. The character was always very promiscuous; neck and neck with 007, and there were always plenty of scantily clad sex kittens bouncing around. He should really have children all over the galaxy. Interesting tidbit: According to Gene Roddenberry, in the original treatment for Star Trek the crew was 50/50 male/female, and there were women in command positions; the network poo-pooed the crew ratio because the audience would think "there was a lot of fooling around up there" and simply wouldn't believe men taking orders from women. They finally settled on a 30 percent female crew ratio. I have a theory that Kirk functioned as a bit of a doppelganger for Gene Roddenberry, but you have to have read Nichelle Nichols' memoir on the series to know what I'm talking about. Interesting tidbit #2: According to Ms. Nichols, she nearly left the show at one point over what I shall politely call "on-set melodrama" - but Martin Luther King Jr. made a personal appeal that she remain on the show so that young viewers could see a future where people of different ethnic groups worked together.

JAMES

PS The remake of Planet of the Apes did suck.

MCDesigns
November 18th, 2008, 20:35
Maybe eating a bit of crow here. This year, I thought "Ironman" was okay, perfectly cast with Robert Downley, Jr.

The Batman flick, "The Dark Knight" was outstanding. Sad about Heath Ledger. But they finally got it right with that movie. Shows you can make a good superhero flick afterall when you have good writing.

I have recently gone to the movie, "Fireproof". Technically not a great movie, only made with a budget of $500,000, but the story was a good one, and original. Highly recommend it.

Last year liked "Hot Fuzz". Quintin Tarantino and Robert Rodriquez "Grindhouse" movies were enjoyable. The Edith Piaf biopic, "La Vie En Rose". Enjoyed "Charlie Wilson's War". Not great movies but still liked, "The Astronaut Farmer" (Guy builds own Mercury space capsule, goes to space, satisfied a personal fantasy there :icon_lol:) and "Mr. Bean's Holiday". Always been a Rowan Atkinson fan.

Otherwise I find myself having shifted to watching a lot of movies these days from the 1920's to 1980's on DVD. Actually right now watching season 5 of "Mission: Impossible", and re-watching the entire "Due South" series with my best friend. I have her and her youngest son hooked on the adventures of Constable Benton Fraser of the R.C.M.P. and his half-wolf Diefenbaker.

Okay that's way more about me than I want to go any further on about. Feel like its too much about me at this point. :costumes:

Thanks Dain, we are the same age and I was curious what you did like. I actually disliked batman for the reasons you liked it, I want my superhero to not have internal conflicts, be in control and for the villain to not take center stage in the movie, but obviously I am a minority since it did so well at the box office. I agree with Ironman, great flick and look forward to the 2nd one

Out of my rather large DVD collection the movies I find myself watching over and over again are King Aurthur (Clive Owen), Kingdom of Heaven (Orlando Bloom), the Kingdom (Jamie Fox), Sense and Sensibility (chick flick, I know), Crossfire trail (Tom Selleck) and the first Jurassic park, LOL.

Panther_99FS
November 18th, 2008, 23:42
One thing that DOES bother me is that the bridge is entirely TOO MODERN! :banghead::isadizzy::banghead:

http://www.startrekmovie.com/downloads/images/d13_1024.jpg

jmig
November 19th, 2008, 03:52
Panther, How can a bridge built in the year 2500, or so, be TOO modern by today's standards? Actually, I think by that time there will be NO controls and bridges like we know today. Everyone will be connected directly to computers and just think maneuvers.

BTW Dain, I quit going to movies when they started having ads. I'll be damned before I pay good money to watch commercials before the movie. I may average one movie every two years.

Dain Arns
November 19th, 2008, 04:35
Dain, I do understand some of your trepidation, but you let Kirk slide on being a ho. The character was always very promiscuous; neck and neck with 007, and there were always plenty of scantily clad sex kittens bouncing around. He should really have children all over the galaxy. Interesting tidbit: According to Gene Roddenberry, in the original treatment for Star Trek the crew was 50/50 male/female, and there were women in command positions; the network poo-pooed the crew ratio because the audience would think "there was a lot of fooling around up there" and simply wouldn't believe men taking orders from women....

That was called, "The Sixties", man! :cool: :icon_lol:

Yes I know the network execs were aghast when the future Mrs. Roddenberry was Captain Pike's "Number One" in the Pilot. It's been rumored by J.J. Abrahms there will be no references to Captains Pike or April.

I have never claimed what Kirk was doing was okay, and I think the classic line by Dr. McCoy in "The Undiscovered Country", "What is it with you anyway?" pretty much sums it up. :costumes:

I definitely agree Kirk was Roddenberry's "alter-ego" at the time. Ian Fleming once admitted "James Bond" was his alter ego, and he actually seemed to live a bit like Bond in the bedroom it has been said. I always felt like Picard was the "later" Roddenberry, wiser and a bit older in life. More like the captain of a sailing ship who's been doing it for a while.

Dain Arns
November 19th, 2008, 04:39
One thing that DOES bother me is that the bridge is entirely TOO MODERN! :banghead::isadizzy::banghead:

Exactly. :isadizzy: I think that pic says it all.... :kilroy:

Looks like they are working out of a Las Vegas hotel... :costumes:

Panther_99FS
November 19th, 2008, 05:11
Panther, How can a bridge built in the year 2500, or so, be TOO modern by today's standards?

I should've said "too modern compared to the original series".....:mixedsmi:

DaveKDEN
November 19th, 2008, 06:21

Rememer, the story line has something to do with time travel (again). As such, I don't think that bridge is supposed to be that of the original series Enterprise.

Eoraptor1
November 19th, 2008, 06:33
That was called, "The Sixties", man! :cool: :icon_lol:

Yes I know the network execs were aghast when the future Mrs. Roddenberry was Captain Pike's "Number One" in the Pilot. It's been rumored by J.J. Abrahms there will be no references to Captains Pike or April.

I have never claimed what Kirk was doing was okay, and I think the classic line by Dr. McCoy in "The Undiscovered Country", "What is it with you anyway?" pretty much sums it up. :costumes:

I definitely agree Kirk was Roddenberry's "alter-ego" at the time. Ian Fleming once admitted "James Bond" was his alter ego, and he actually seemed to live a bit like Bond in the bedroom it has been said. I always felt like Picard was the "later" Roddenberry, wiser and a bit older in life. More like the captain of a sailing ship who's been doing it for a while.

No hate, Dain. I know exactly what you mean; a lot of these "re-imaginings" suck. I'm willing to reserve judgement, though; I remember how many of my brother nerds were up in arms about Battlestar Galactica, tearing their hair out, crying blasphemy as thought they were Jeremiah himself. Now, I personally think the re-imagined show is the equal, in purely dramatic terms, to any show currently on televison, and that includes the critic's darlings like Mad Men, which is also full of sex. We'll see, is all I'm saying. I also know what you mean about the battering ram trailers, but the studios only have a few minutes to grab your attention, and let's face it, sex sells. When Phoebe Cates came out of the pool in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, she had my COMPLETE attention. I can't even listen to the Cars anymore without coming to attention.

JAMES

PS Panther, I was watching Alien yesterday, and noticed how all the Nostromo's science fiction supercomputers with their old-school CRT monitors seemed, well, quaint... I have a very good friend who doesn't seem to have anything good to say about Sigorney Weaver; but she fails to realize what Lt. Ripley means to a nerd.

cheezyflier
November 19th, 2008, 06:58
I have a very good friend who doesn't seem to have anything good to say about Sigorney Weaver; but she fails to realize what Lt. Ripley means to a nerd.

that woman is just nasty! ew! yuck! ptui!

Silver Fox
November 19th, 2008, 08:51
I've been a fan since 1966 (yes I was only 4), and the new movie looks fine so far. My biggest complaint is the fact that Enterprise is being assembled in the San Fransisco navy Yard instead of orbit. My second biggest worry is that in the apparent fight between Kirk and Spock there doesn't appear to be a loose duranium rod around... and we all know Kirk isn't supposed to fight without a loose duranium rod available to turn the tide of battle!

I have no problem with a younger, wilder, Kirk being less gentlemanly when he gets the girl. The redesign of Enterprise, including the bridge, looks fine. The original was built in the 60's and only works in the mind of the original fans. The re-imagined version looks more like something that could develop into the bridge of Enterprise-A or D. By comparison, and objectively, the original looks like something that some film students put together from scrap while filming a school project.

There are a few formulaic requirements that must be met:

1. Kirk gets the girl... and then chooses Enterprise instead.
2. Spock struggles with his humanity
3. A nameless red-shirted ensign dies a tragic, senseless death which causes Kirk angst.
4. Enterprise exceeds design specifications to save the crew.
5. McCoy needles Spock about being Vulcan.
6. Thinly veiled social commentary and examination of current events form the backbone of the storyline.

Moses03
November 19th, 2008, 09:11
I'm a huge fan of the original series (I don't even like the remastered versions), but this looks like crap. Apparently in the future, all our armed forces (re the Federation), are 19yr old ex-swimsuit & catalog models. Gosh, why not work the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus into the movie? Maybe they predicted the future correctly in LOGANS RUN. You do get sent to carousel when you turn 30!

N2056
November 19th, 2008, 09:24
See more here! http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/star_trek_insp.html

MCDesigns
November 19th, 2008, 09:32
LMAO, love the expendability one Robert

Moses03
November 19th, 2008, 09:34
Great find Robert! :icon_lol:

Panther_99FS
November 19th, 2008, 09:38
You'da' thunk that after a few missions, the "red shirts" would've held a revolt - refusing to beam down to the surface...:d

Panther_99FS
November 19th, 2008, 09:40
Apparently in the future, all our armed forces (re the Federation), are 19yr old ex-swimsuit & catalog models.

True and if Kirk is a CAPTAIN, boy he sure is young....

On the other hand, maybe everyone started out in COMMAND positions on a starship as Ensigns...:icon_lol:

Eoraptor1
November 19th, 2008, 09:58
that woman is just nasty! ew! yuck! ptui!

I see that she has been using her powers again. I don't hold it against you, Cheezy; you're under the influence of an extremely powerful being. You probably even think this posting was your own idea.

JAMES

Eoraptor1
November 19th, 2008, 10:02
Apparently in the future, all our armed forces (re the Federation), are 19yr old ex-swimsuit & catalog models. Gosh, why not work the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus into the movie? Maybe they predicted the future correctly in LOGANS RUN. You do get sent to carousel when you turn 30!

That's A LOT of programming, Moses. I watched about five minutes of The Hills with one of my teenaged cousins and found it so completely vacuous thought I was on dramamine...

JAMES

Lionheart
November 19th, 2008, 10:07
Dang!!

I didnt see Trailer number 2!

Had to watch it about 5 times. Then watched it over by dragging the mouse slider, taking screenshots.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its more like Star Wars 'pace' and high details that Lucas uses in quick glimpses but done with Star Trek.

Impressed!

Snuffy
November 19th, 2008, 10:12

I watched it on my iPhone...:mixedsmi:

Welp I didn't watch it either for the same reasons as MCDesigns, and I refuse to own an iPhone. I don't hate Apple, I just refuse to support them.

Dain Arns
November 19th, 2008, 15:13
No hate, Dain. I know exactly what you mean; a lot of these "re-imaginings" suck. I'm willing to reserve judgement, though; I remember how many of my brother nerds were up in arms about Battlestar Galactica, tearing their hair out, crying blasphemy as thought they were Jeremiah himself. Now, I personally think the re-imagined show is the equal, in purely dramatic terms, to any show currently on televison, and that includes the critic's darlings like Mad Men, which is also full of sex. We'll see, is all I'm saying. I also know what you mean about the battering ram trailers, but the studios only have a few minutes to grab your attention, and let's face it, sex sells. When Phoebe Cates came out of the pool in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, she had my COMPLETE attention. I can't even listen to the Cars anymore without coming to attention.

Battlestar Galactica, agreed. One where they got it right. But look at the reason, good writing.

Sorry, but just to throw in sex to sell a movie. Its too easy, too cliche'. Its wrong.
Of course there was never anything wrong about Phoebe Cates in Fast Times... :costumes:
(Forgive me, Jesus)

Dain Arns
November 19th, 2008, 15:14
Rememer, the story line has something to do with time travel (again). As such, I don't think that bridge is supposed to be that of the original series Enterprise.

Uh huh. Maybe Patrick Duffy will wake up in the shower at the end... :costumes:

GT182
November 19th, 2008, 17:08
McD, the trailers Gdavis linked to are for HD. Click on the bottom of that page... "Visit The Official Website" and you will see the 2nd Trailer start. No need to install any new QuickTime files. :d

This s=is a movie I've got to see, even if the Bridge looks too modern. :costumes:

Quantum of Solice get a bad review but it make over 70 millin the fist weekend it was out. So much for reviews.... I have read or heard a review I could trust. ;)

And now, back to your regularly scheduled replies. :ernae:

magoo
November 19th, 2008, 17:20
It can't be too modern....mini skirts are back in uniform. Gotta like that...

JO_Wingnut
November 20th, 2008, 08:14
The bridge looks like it should have, based on the time frame that the show depicted. The set making technology has advanced to a point that the future can be depicted. Those old early Star Trek days, only had flashing lights, switches and lighted buttons available when they made the sets. Look at the other science fiction programs made around the same time. They had similar kinds of instrumentation, and they were supposed to have taken place in the future as well. I think the new bridge looks like it came from the future, as it should.

Donnybrooke
November 20th, 2008, 09:32
Yeah, and in thirty years people will be saying how old and quaint THIS bridge looks.

Looks like James Dean as "Kirk". :icon_lol:

Cratermaker
November 20th, 2008, 10:30
The franchise made fun of the look of the old series in an episode of DS9 when they went back to Kirk's era.

One of the characters mentioned how they liked "classic 23rd century design".

I think they also made reference to the short skirt uniforms.

Craig Taylor
November 20th, 2008, 13:01
I saw some of the props from the original series at NASM about 14-ish years ago. They were literally made in someone's garage (or at least looked like it) - just painted wooden blocks with shiny bits of plastic or metal glued on. You could even sit in Kirk's command chair, which had about as much padding as the first generation of military HMMWVs (I can only hope the latest variants have better seating :costumes:). Anyway, with the bar set so low everything else has to look better. :d

Edit: I should have said what a fantastic job the lighting and effects engineers must have done to pull of what they did back in the '60s on such a low budget. :ernae:

simkid22
November 20th, 2008, 13:20
http://www.filmwad.com/fw_images/2008/01/17/uss_01.jpg
(link to higher res image http://bigyellowtaxi.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/enterprise.jpg )
At first I didn't like the new ship but from this view a lot of the original shines through. This will probably give away how much of a Trekkie I am but the new nacelles seem out of place. The top clear section seems to fit in between ships of The Motion Picture and The Next Generation. At least another refit after the Constitution Class refit for the motion picture. I wish they just keep the nacelles from The Original Series ships with the bland top. On the bright side the Bussard collectors (the red spinning things on the front of the nacelles) look awesome! (maybe someone else out there understood what i said? :redf:) Oh well cant wait to see the new ship in action!

Wozza
November 20th, 2008, 13:46
Hi
Is it me or :) In the first trailer the voice over for "space the final frontier" sound like Optamas Prime :D
I do like the 2nd trailer,for the last 8mths Ive been collecting all of the orig series episodes.I should have the full set by the time this movie hits cinema's

Dain In literature there are only 7 basic stories,there are also 36 sub plots by the time your in ya 30's to 40's ya seen em all ;)
The trick is for Hollywood to stop relying on SFX and get back to basic story telling,see if its possible to get all of the sub plots into one film.
To date the only film Ive ever seen come close,is the orig "witness for the prosecution"
Wozza

JO_Wingnut
November 20th, 2008, 13:53
Lol, those nacelles almost look like 747 fuselages attached to the booms. Sheesh. I think I prefered the refit nacelles.

Odie
November 20th, 2008, 14:02

My son (25 years young) and I always get into a friendly debate regarding the Original series that I grew up with and the Next Generation that he grew up with. It's the usual things, Kirk vs Picard, NCC1701 vs NCC1701-D, etc. And it'll rock along until I remind him that without the Original series, there wouldn't be a Next Gen ! :costumes:

An afterthought: You know you're getting old when you see the re-re-re-mastered DVD's of the Original Trek coming out !!!!

Dain Arns
November 20th, 2008, 15:10
Dain In literature there are only 7 basic stories,there are also 36 sub plots by the time your in ya 30's to 40's ya seen em all ;)
The trick is for Hollywood to stop relying on SFX and get back to basic story telling,see if its possible to get all of the sub plots into one film.
To date the only film Ive ever seen come close,is the orig "witness for the prosecution"
Wozza

I was referring to the Hollywood film formula of one basic story and 7 sub plots. A move up to the Literature formula would be refreshing...

Dain Arns
November 20th, 2008, 15:20
http://www.filmwad.com/fw_images/2008/01/17/uss_01.jpg
(link to higher res image http://bigyellowtaxi.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/enterprise.jpg )
At first I didn't like the new ship but from this view a lot of the original shines through. This will probably give away how much of a Trekkie I am but the new nacelles seem out of place. The top clear section seems to fit in between ships of The Motion Picture and The Next Generation. At least another refit after the Constitution Class refit for the motion picture. I wish they just keep the nacelles from The Original Series ships with the bland top. On the bright side the Bussard collectors (the red spinning things on the front of the nacelles) look awesome! (maybe someone else out there understood what i said? :redf:) Oh well cant wait to see the new ship in action!

Okay. Well. Sure, I'm going to sound like a complete tool when I say this, but that's nothing new. :costumes:

Here we go! I am a big fan of SciFi hardware, and this takes my vote for ugliest Federation starship design, ever. :eek: :barf: Looks like what would happen if you crossed a 70's Japanese battery operated toy and a Hallmark ornament together. I really do hope this is all just some weird time-travel fantasy movie. I think I am actually being traumatized by the more I see of this....

I can't believe they are making a movie that is starting to make Star Trek V: The Final Frontier look good.... :icon_lol:

Eoraptor1
November 20th, 2008, 16:26
My son (25 years young) and I always get into a friendly debate regarding the Original series that I grew up with and the Next Generation that he grew up with. It's the usual things, Kirk vs Picard, NCC1701 vs NCC1701-D, etc. And it'll rock along until I remind him that without the Original series, there wouldn't be a Next Gen ! :costumes:

An afterthought: You know you're getting old when you see the re-re-re-mastered DVD's of the Original Trek coming out !!!!

I can tell you very clearly why I like the original series better. First off, this is nothing against the newer series. I liked them all, and thought they all got better as they went along. I felt that Enterprise got especially harsh and unfair treatment online from my brother nerds. They seemed (to me) to have decided not to like it when it was in pre-production, and then became invested in that decision like they were sticking to Wedding Vows. Besides the sentiment I have for TOS for being the series I literally grew up with, I felt that in TNG in particular, the cast was so Morally Correct in every instance that they were sometimes barely recognizible as human. This was greatly facilitated by having an empath on the bridge, which I think killed a lot of dramatic potential. Just think for a moment how much more incisive your personal interactions would be if you knew what everyone intended. Now, this is what some people want from their (fictional) heroes, and I recognize that, but to me a major part of the human experience is in the Clay Feet. Give me whiskey driniking skirt-chasing James T. Kirk any day!!!

Hit your son with that, Odie, and let me know what happens.

JAMES

PS I read in an old issue of TV Guide I'd been holding on to in which a somewhat frustrated Garrent Wang says that Rick Berman instructed the Voyager cast to tone down all their emotions in order to sell the alien characters. If accurate, and not a post-cancellation gripe, this explains a very great deal...

Gdavis101
November 20th, 2008, 18:24
I have always been an Old Series kind of guy, grew up watching the reruns and saw each movie about a half dozen times. I enjoyed TNG, but it was never the same. Like I said before, the new movie breathes new life in Star Trek and at this point I think I will take it anyway I can.

N2056
November 20th, 2008, 18:38
I remember when I was a kid, and I had to beg to stay up late to watch it every week! :costumes:

Panther_99FS
November 20th, 2008, 18:48
True and if Kirk is a CAPTAIN, boy he sure is young....

On the other hand, maybe everyone started out in COMMAND positions on a starship as Ensigns...:icon_lol:

*Update*

I see the character of Christopher Pike is in the movie. Hopefully this means that Kirk is just a crewmember on board the Enterprise and not her Captain :mixedsmi:

Snuffy
November 20th, 2008, 18:51
I'll catch it on HBO when it comes out.

Dain Arns
November 21st, 2008, 04:24
*Update*

I see the character of Christopher Pike is in the movie. Hopefully this means that Kirk is just a crewmember on board the Enterprise and not her Captain :mixedsmi:

Your right. I remember seeing a picture of Pike now....

Except after Kirk graduated from the academy, his first ship was the U.S.S. Faragut. He never served with Pike.

Think my geekiness is showing... :redf:

:costumes:

Panther_99FS
November 21st, 2008, 04:30
Your right. I remember seeing a picture of Pike now....

Except after Kirk graduated from the academy, his first ship was the U.S.S. Faragut. He never served with Pike.

Think my geekiness is showing... :redf:

:costumes:

However,
Since Pike was an Enterprise Captain, perhaps Kirk is still serving under him in this movies...

Eoraptor1
November 21st, 2008, 05:56
However,
Since Pike was an Enterprise Captain, perhaps Kirk is still serving under him in this movies...

Kirk is definitely NOT a Captain in this retelling. Go HERE: http://www.trektoday.com/news/201108_01.shtml

Be sure to visit the links near the bottom of the page marked "here, here, here, and here." BEWARE OF SPOILERS...

JAMES

JO_Wingnut
November 21st, 2008, 07:44
I'm a big time Star Trek Geek, and I frankly have been watching the series of shows since the very beginning. I never got especially attached to any specific series, I like them all, including the Enterprise series. I've been waiting for this movie for a while, and can't wait to see it. I've had the chance to meet many of the stars that have been on all of the series, including most of the original series cast. I even was at a 50th birthday party for one cast member of DS9, JG Hertzler (General Martok of the Klingon Empire).

Lionheart
November 21st, 2008, 09:42
I am a Star Trek TNG fan. Loved that series. The 'mechanics' of the sciences all seemed more believeable to me in TNG.

But, I have to say, Subcommander DePahl really opened my eyes in the new series Enterprise. When it hit SciFi channel, I became a big time fan. Not as great as TNG, but real close. (Cool seeing how they were learning the basics of the transporter system).

Bill

Silver Fox
November 21st, 2008, 10:05
The new Enterprise looks like it logically fits between NX-01 Enterprise and NCC-1701A Enterprise.

That is bound to upset Trekkies because the series "Enterprise" violated Star Trek canon so often. Enterprise got short-shrift from the Trekkies and was doomed before it ever had a chance, far too much bad press was circulated around before the series found it's feet.

Trekkers (if you don't understand the difference... why are you reading a 3 page thread?) are more forgiving. It's the vision of Star Trek that is important, not the look. Canon be damned, some of it never made sense anyway! The first Romulan/Terran war was fought with sublight ships? How would that work, and will NCC-1701JXVBBDFG Enterprise be on hand to tell the combatants (when they finally meet) that the Romulans and Terrans have been allies for 10,000 years? As a Trekker myself, I only hope that the new movie corrects the flaws in canon, let's not add new mistakes into the mix. Enterprise should be the starting point... if established canon doesn't mesh with what was shown in Enterprise then fix it or "Star Trek" it away.

btw Bill, it was Subcommander T'Pol. The "T'P" start to a Vulcan female's name is common, if not universal. Think of the Vulcan radical/future matriarch T'Pau or Spock's betrothed, T'Pring.

Prowler1111
November 21st, 2008, 10:32
I can't believe they are making a movie that is starting to make Star Trek V: The Final Frontier look good.... :icon_lol:

Amen to that, brother..not a treekie, but a follower of the Force..but i never miss a good sci fi+good effects flick.....

Prowler

Silver Fox
November 21st, 2008, 11:34
You know, the worst part of a new Star Trek release is that it involves not one wait (for the movie's release)... but two waits.

Until the DVD release there isn't a good chance to see what jokes the production staff have played with systems displays, plaques and other barely seen material.

Since TNG it's been fun to look for those jokes... now it's going to be awhile before I get a chance to find them. There are some classic easter eggs in those displays like the one bathroom on 1701D, the Medical Status display that has a readout for "Medical Insurance Remaining" (it flatlines and you're dead) or the Engineering Display that had a selection for "Tonight on HBO". :icon_lol:

Gdavis101
November 21st, 2008, 12:36
I am a Star Trek TNG fan. Loved that series. The 'mechanics' of the sciences all seemed more believeable to me in TNG.

But, I have to say, Subcommander DePahl really opened my eyes in the new series Enterprise. When it hit SciFi channel, I became a big time fan. Not as great as TNG, but real close. (Cool seeing how they were learning the basics of the transporter system).

Bill

I enjoyed Enterprise too, it had good plots and good characters. I think the fan base put to much emphasis on CANON rules for the show and that is why it didn't last and the fact the network it was on jerked it around on its schedule so much no one really knew when it was going to be on. I used to watch TNG and Voyager, but DS9 bored me to tears.. Still watched it though, just because it was Trek.

I would have really like to have seen some made for TV movies for Enterprise, I think it really had alot more story to tell.

As far as the New Enterprise, I like.. I remember the first time I saw the Enterprise D, I thought it looked pretty awkward compared to that of the Enterprise from the movies and it took some time for it to grow on me. Now, the Enterprise from TNG movies was pretty cool..

Eoraptor1
November 21st, 2008, 17:49
As far as the New Enterprise, I like.. I remember the first time I saw the Enterprise D, I thought it looked pretty awkward compared to that of the Enterprise from the movies and it took some time for it to grow on me. Now, the Enterprise from TNG movies was pretty cool..

I never met an Enterprise I didn't like, from the NX all the way through to the -J, but I always thought the coolest ship was the K't'inga Class Klingon battlecruiser. I never took to the TNG Klingon ships. I also really liked the new Romulan Warbirds from Nemisis, even though I thought the movie was somewhat muddled.

JAMES

PS Why are the control panels on Federation starships always blowing up? Don't they have circuit breakers in the 24th Century?

Gdavis101
November 21st, 2008, 18:12
Nemesis was a sad way to end TNG saga. I had always hoped for one more movie, one more grand finale from them..

Silver Fox
November 21st, 2008, 21:37
Agreed that Nemesis was not a good way for the saga of Picard, et al, to end... the story doesn't seem to end there naturally. I always thought they would go down fighting the Borg or some similar massive threat.

Lionheart
November 21st, 2008, 22:03
I agree as well...

I remember back in their first TNG movie, when they blew up NCC-1701D (Galaxy Class from TNG) and crash landed the saucer section on that planet.. I was so pissed. I almost walked out of the movie.

Every now and then, there is a cool 'drum drum drum' sound from TV or a song, and I think of the reactor core making that cool sound, lolol.... Warp 9+ was boom-boom-boom in rapid order, while Warp 3+ was a slow dooom.. dooom.... doooom.. Sort of like a steam engine on a sailing ship... (or project Aurora Borealis, streaking accross the skies over the Atlantic at high atmosphere, her concussion reaction engines ripping the sound barrier to pieces, reaking out the fishing boats down below).

:d

Bill

EDIT: Those music thumper cars with the powerful sound systems driving down the road near the house at night were the notorius ones that reminded me of warp core reactors going 'thump' in the night. :D

Dain Arns
November 22nd, 2008, 06:02
I agree as well...

I remember back in their first TNG movie, when they blew up NCC-1701D (Galaxy Class from TNG) and crash landed the saucer section on that planet.. I was so pissed. I almost walked out of the movie.

Every now and then, there is a cool 'drum drum drum' sound from TV or a song, and I think of the reactor core making that cool sound, lolol.... Warp 9+ was boom-boom-boom in rapid order, while Warp 3+ was a slow dooom.. dooom.... doooom.. Sort of like a steam engine on a sailing ship... (or project Aurora Borealis, streaking accross the skies over the Atlantic at high atmosphere, her concussion reaction engines ripping the sound barrier to pieces, reaking out the fishing boats down below).

:d

Bill

EDIT: Those music thumper cars with the powerful sound systems driving down the road near the house at night were the notorius ones that reminded me of warp core reactors going 'thump' in the night. :D

Three times I've teared up while watching a Star Trek movie:

Kirk's inspection tour of the Enterprise, in Star Trek:The Motion Picture. Wow she looked great.

The Enterprise self-destructing in Star Trek III: The Voyage Home. I still get verklempt.

The Enterprise-D crashing in Star Trek: Generations, although the Enterprise-E was a lovely replacement.

:costumes: :costumes: :costumes:

Eoraptor1
November 22nd, 2008, 09:00
Here's a link to my Google search results for the Enterprise-J. http://www.google.com/search?rls=GGLJ%2CGGLJ%3A2006-35%2CGGLJ%3Aen&hl=en&q=NCC-1701-J&aq=f&oq= I have associates who didn't believe there was such a ship. (Enterprise was beneath them.) If I remember correctly, a 30th Century Temporal Agent takes Jonathan Archer on board to watch a pivitol battle between the Federation and the Sphere Builders in the 27th Century.

JAMES

Panther_99FS
November 22nd, 2008, 09:24
Did you watch the movie "Star Trek: Of Gods & Men"...:ques:

Dain Arns
November 22nd, 2008, 11:06

Don't know who that was directed at. I'll comment, seen it. Love it. Like to enjoy more of that tasty stuff. :d

Silver Fox
November 22nd, 2008, 11:24
It's funny, but every Star Trek fan I've ever spoken to "heard" the computer on NCC-1701A say "4". It's not in the soundtrack, but that doesn't seem to matter.

From five to zero, no command in the universe can prevent the computer from fulfilling its destruct order.

I remember a gasp in the audience when I first saw it... the fans knew that Enterprise was dead.

Eoraptor1
November 22nd, 2008, 11:59

Just finished watching. Thanks for the heads-up, Panther. Some of the fan films are BETTER than the multi-million dollar Hollywood offerings. Yes, I said it.

JAMES

Dain Arns
November 22nd, 2008, 12:35
Just finished watching. Thanks for the heads-up, Panther. Some of the fan films are BETTER than the multi-million dollar Hollywood offerings. Yes, I said it.

JAMES

:applause: :applause: :applause:

MCDesigns
November 22nd, 2008, 14:15
I never met an Enterprise I didn't like, from the NX all the way through to the -J, but I always thought the coolest ship was the K't'inga Class Klingon battlecruiser. I never took to the TNG Klingon ships. I also really liked the new Romulan Warbirds from Nemisis, even though I thought the movie was somewhat muddled.

Agreed, always loved the style of the Klingon ships much more than the federation ones

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8267/klingonktingastarboardum7.gif
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5307/klingonktingaforwardbe6.gif

My fav was always the bird of prey

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7158/klingonbirdofpreyforwarpl7.gif
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4773/klingonbirdofpreyportof0.gif

Gdavis101
November 22nd, 2008, 15:09

Spent the afternoon watching it, very cool. I had seen the first three episodes they did, but I had forgot all about that one.. Nice cast!

Lionheart
November 22nd, 2008, 21:59
I love the Bird of Prey ship. What a beauty! Wild when she has her wings up. That should be attack mode, but then it couldnt land... arrgh..

Bill

Eoraptor1
November 24th, 2008, 12:37

Panther,

Watched it again yesterday after football. Wasn't that T'Pring conducting the wedding ceremony at the end? Didn't she want Stonn for herself? I guess even on Vulcan relationships don't always work out. Spock warned her...

JAMES

Panther_99FS
November 24th, 2008, 16:36
Not sure really....:redf:

Eoraptor1
November 24th, 2008, 17:06
Not sure really....:redf:

Reviewed the credits, and it IS the same actress, Arlene Martel, but she's listed as "Vulcan Priestess" so we don't know one way or the other if she's meant to reprise her role as Spock's ex.

JAMES

Eoraptor1
November 28th, 2008, 14:39
The Star Trek trailer has been updated. The "real" Mr. Spock now appears at the end...

GO HERE: http://www.trektoday.com/news/251108_03.shtml

JAMES

Dain Arns
November 28th, 2008, 14:54
Like someone else noted in another forum, this has to be a Star Trek 'fantasy' film. We all know from watching the original series, Kirk couldn't drive a shift. :costumes: