PDA

View Full Version : I closed this

Ickie
July 31st, 2010, 02:02
I closed this because of an error in the data base cannot see pst #16 post

Thread: Fatal Error message on FSX launch...need some help (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=40244&pagenumber=)

Dain Arns
July 31st, 2010, 02:38
Odd.

I can see past #16 with Firefox. :kilroy:

guzler
July 31st, 2010, 03:12
I've had this on another thread. It shown up as someone adding to the thread on the summary page, but when I went to read it, there was no recent posts ??????????????????????

Lionheart
July 31st, 2010, 04:35
He had posted some XML code in trying to diagnose his XP/FS9 issue he is having. The XML must have had ill effects with navigators and perhaps the forum software.

BaSys had asked Lateral to put them in 'Code' brackets. I think Lateral just missed doing that.

Showed up fine in Safari. :d

alpine
July 31st, 2010, 04:38
Hi, Ickie

itīs just the internet explorer, firefox works fine! Itīs a pitty, because that was the most helpfull and informative thread for me!

Cheers, Thilo

n4gix
July 31st, 2010, 08:39
I closed this because of an error in the data base cannot see pst #16 post

Thread: Fatal Error message on FSX launch...need some help (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=40244&pagenumber=)

That's strange, I'm using IE and can see it fine! :ernae:

Ickie
July 31st, 2010, 09:57
I tried crome and still cannot view past #16 and its strange it will not let me edit #16 to fix the code.

Ken Stallings
July 31st, 2010, 10:17
I was curious why that thread got locked, but figured that since it was perfectly civil that it had to be some other issue. Unfortunate that in the effort to help people, the methods themselves would cause unexpected harm to the forums.

Ken

Ickie
July 31st, 2010, 10:25
the code should have been placed into brackets or in notepad and uploaded, these forums use xml code so it caused a problem

Moparmike
July 31st, 2010, 14:08
It's not just vBulletin's forum software that gets mucked up by posting XML (even when posted in "code" brackets. There are a couple other forums softwares out there that get buggered up by XML too...since, as Ickie posted, they use XML themselves.

It is a stinker of a problem to deal with. the best solution I've found is to copy the code/file in question and attach it as a TXT file instead of pasting it into the reply form itself...seems to be the safest way to get unadulterated code to others. Sometimes the CODE tags work, but every now and then even that doesn't prevent the forum from getting mucked up by posted code.

Lateral-G
July 31st, 2010, 14:54
I was the OP, sorry for not knowing how to post xml code.............

-G-

Moparmike
July 31st, 2010, 15:00
Not too big of a problem. I bet that CODE tag is the most often unused one on every forum (even over on the computer geek programming forums, half of the code bashers don't know it exists either).
And like I said in my last reply, sometimes it's not foolproof either.

Just something to keep in mind the next time around.

It's all good....

n4gix
July 31st, 2010, 17:44
Not too big of a problem. I bet that CODE tag is the most often unused one on every forum (even over on the computer geek programming forums, half of the code bashers don't know it exists either).

Until the forum software used at flightsim.com was updated to the latest version, the [code] tags there worked perfectly!

Now the darn forum software mangles up the XML scripts and any C/C++/GDI+ posted. Imagine my difficulty since I moderate the Panel and Gauge forum there!

Oddly enough, the forum software used at AVSIM manages [code] perfectly, even preserving the formatting... :ernae: