PDA

View Full Version : Yet another request for what to buy (but not for me!)

Navy Chief
July 30th, 2010, 10:57
Ok here's the story. I have finally talked my retired Navy pilot friend, Fred Sanders, into buying FSX. The problem is his system is antiquated, and not capable of running FSX. He will want to buy a ready-made system.

Suggestions? I don't know exactly how much he wants to spend, but irrespective of that, I will provide him a few examples of what he SHOULD get.

Update: Fred just emailed me to say he "expects" to spend about $2000.00. So, with that in mind, maybe come up with ideas?

Thanks in advance. Just some links would be great!!!!

NC

Cazzie
July 30th, 2010, 12:33
Ok here's the story. I have finally talked my retired Navy pilot friend, Fred Sanders, into buying FSX. The problem is his system is antiquated, and not capable of running FSX. He will want to buy a ready-made system.

Suggestions? I don't know exactly how much he wants to spend, but irrespective of that, I will provide him a few examples of what he SHOULD get.

Update: Fred just emailed me to say he "expects" to spend about $2000.00. So, with that in mind, maybe come up with ideas?

Thanks in advance. Just some links would be great!!!!

NC

Chief, you should contact txnetcop, hey_moe, or harleyman. Any of them could build him a dynamite system for $2000.

If he'd prefer to order, check out Tiger Direct's gaming systems, this one will do FSX just fine I bet: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=31135&Sku=SYX-1040

Caz

kilo delta
July 30th, 2010, 13:04
Have a look in the "FSX Guides" section....loads of builds mentioned in there to suit most budgets.
:)

warchild
July 30th, 2010, 13:12
I'll second Caz's suggestion. TXnetcop, Hey_moe and herley are all genius's when it comes to fsx capable systems.

CybrSlydr
July 30th, 2010, 13:37
For $2k, you could build one helluva system!

Get a quadcore chip, 4 or more GB RAM, Windows 7, ATi 5870 1GB...

Mmmmm!

doublecool
July 30th, 2010, 14:52
Third Cazzie's suggestion...

My build was not only for FX, but family and a few engineer/drawing programs. Explained what my needs were and nothing but help...

PS: Thanks again Guys

txnetcop
July 30th, 2010, 15:40
$2000 dollars will build a lot of system. I can give you specs NavyChief but I do not ship outside of Texas. Maybe Harleyman still does or HeyMoe! The problem is warranty and shipping cost for an insured package. Harleyman has a pretty good setup for shipping out of state. You will have to ask him how he handles warranty. Should your friend want to build his own, even if he has never done it before, it is very easy to do these days and there is plenty of help in the forum of howto videos and online question answer. I have tons of howto video access and there is youtube. The great thing about building your own is no bloatware, you know what you can do to upgrade your system when the time comes, and the costs to build in the U.S. is very inexpensive. I will say it would senseless to build less than an i7Core system these days if you have a budget of $2000.
Ted

PRB
July 30th, 2010, 15:45
This thread is of great interest to me since my FS computer recently suffered a high altitude explosive decompression, followed by a flame out of numer two engine, followed by complete hydraulic system failure, followed by vanishing from radar over the Marianas Trench. As it were...