PDA

View Full Version : Can't forward the ports no matter what I try

PilatusTurbo
November 18th, 2008, 12:57
I've been trying and trying to get the ports for FS forwarded on this Linksys WRT54G router, to no avail.

I've gone to portforward.com, tried their static IP, and tried so many router settings it's not even funny.

I can get onto netwings, but my buddy and I can't direct connect like we used to before the router. Get this, when he's in Netwings, I usually can't get in, and vice versa.

Anyone have a magic bullet that can get this worked out?

Thanks fellas:ernae:

Dangerousdave26
November 18th, 2008, 13:06
Yes we do PilatusTurbo

First what is your connection DSL or cable?

PilatusTurbo
November 18th, 2008, 14:08
I believe it's DSL; it's from Qwest out here in the AZ, and a telephone line comes out the wall to the modem, and then Cat 5 to the router. :ernae:

Dangerousdave26
November 18th, 2008, 14:51
Ok that is what I was looking for.

What you need to look for

What is the model of your DSL Modem?

Here is what could be happening. Normally today all DSL Modems are multifunction devices. Mine is a a Westell C90. It is a DSL Modem/Router/Switch. Looking right underneath it at the model number it says router right on it.

So the functions of this multifunction device are

Modem (changes the ATM signal to Ethernet)
Router (connects WAN wide area network (Internet) to your LAN local area network (Intranet))
Switch (even though my Westel C90 only has one port for the LAN it is still a switch)

So we know that we need to program port forwarding in our router to get the ports to specific devices what happens if you put another router on this Modem/router/switch to give yourself "Wireless" Internet access?

That's right we now have two LAN segments on our network and that is where you will tear your hair out.

We would have to log into the Router portion of the Westel (or whatever brand you have) and program port forwarding on ALL Ports to our other router. Then we could forward ports on the Linksys WRT54G router.

Really though don't do it that is a recipe for disaster. What you need to do is first test to see if both of your devices are acting as routers.

How to test this condition

Remove the cable that plugs from your Router to your modem (leave it plugged into the Modem)

Plug it into your PC Network Card

Allow your network card to obtain an IP address (DHCP)

If you are using Windows XP or Windows 2000 (sorry Vista or older Operating Systems you are on your own).

Go To Start and click Run

Type cmd in the open field

This will take you to a command prompt. Type ipconfig

This will display the following text

Quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\dd26>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.254
If your IP address displayed is

10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 (the typical range for LAN IP addresses)

Your Modem is functioning as a Router. Test your Internet connectivity and see if you can access the net. If you can your router is not needed and connecting multiple routers in this fashion will only lead to Major NAT Problems. The simple solution is to purchase a Plain Cheap Switch with the number of ports to support your home network. Plug one port into modem and the others into your computers. To add wireless capabilities buy a wireless access point (Not a wireless router).

Alternately you may get the IP address range 169.254.x.x if you do that means that the Network Card did not receive DHCP and your router is needed. Put it back in service.

If your modem is functioning as a router you can continue to use your Linksys WRT54G but your DSL Modem needs to be programmed to Bridge.

Bridge means that the Modem converts the ATM signal to Ethernet then passes all data directly out the switch port. It completely loses the router function. Some DSL Modems can still do the PPOE log in needed by your ISP others will not. When the Modem can not do the PPOE log on you must program it into your Linksys WRT54G Router. It will be a setting on your main setup page. You will need to know your username and password as well as any other settings already in your DSL Router. Be careful once you make changes you will lose all settings. Write everything down and take screen shots to save your self head aches in the future.

Check out this condition if this is not the case post some screen shots of your set up page and port forwarding pages from inside your router.

PilatusTurbo
November 18th, 2008, 15:42
No connection when directly connected to modem, so I think the router is required. I'm hardwired to the router, and another machine here (not mine) is wireless.

Here's the shot of the modem page with stuff like you're talkin about. :d

Should I go back to MS Network connections and un-do the static IP stuff, and have it automatically acquire an IP?

Dangerousdave26
November 18th, 2008, 15:50
Ok that screen shot is your modem. That definatly is a router. Look at the DHCP Page what does it say?

What does the LAN Page Say?

Notice lower on the page it has Advance port forwarding

And for the heck of it what is in the DSL Settings page..

Good job on deleting the personal identification information.:applause:

PilatusTurbo
November 18th, 2008, 16:11
Ok, after playing with this page, I had to call qwest to re-activate it. I think I may just try to forward the port through the modem, too, as well as with the Linksys. Maybe, just maybe...

Will I need to set up some static IP garbage manually?

Thanks on the personal info thing, just figured it's best to do. :ernae:

Dangerousdave26
November 18th, 2008, 16:16
No if you do not need Static IP addresses on your LAN don't use it.

In my case I use static because I run a flight sim server here. It makes it easier for my other computers to find the server if the address never changes.

In your case you don't need it why bother.

Try forwarding the ports to the other router but doing double NAT (Network Address Translation) is a pain. However if it works so be it.

Good luck :ernae: and good flying.

MaddogK
November 19th, 2008, 05:55
Does you modem have a 'bridged' mode ? Putting my DSL modem in 'bridged' mode is the only way I could disable the modems built in firewall, and as my linksys router could be rigged to logon automatically I just had to put my service account info into the router and IT logged the modem into the service. My linksys also assigns the IP to the computer based on what port on the router my computer is connected to (while the router is set to dynamically assign an IP number to the computer- poor mans static IP ???), so I could set the computer for a dynamically assigned IP address and the router assigns the same IP address EVERYTIME based on the port it's connected to, so setting the port forwarding in the router was simple as the assigned IP never changed tho it is set to dynamic.

Hope that helps.

EasyEd
November 19th, 2008, 06:53
Hey All,

This issue is probably exactly why I can never fly on;one as I always get bumped at netwings. I have a modem connected to a wireless router that anywhere from 1 to 4 computers are accessing at any particular time.

Yet my son never has had a problem with warcraft while FS never works. What is so fundamentally different between the two? My suspicion is it's another MS created barrier.

-Ed-

Dangerousdave26
November 19th, 2008, 07:29
Hey All,

This issue is probably exactly why I can never fly on;one as I always get bumped at netwings. I have a modem connected to a wireless router that anywhere from 1 to 4 computers are accessing at any particular time.

Yet my son never has had a problem with warcraft while FS never works. What is so fundamentally different between the two? My suspicion is it's another MS created barrier.

-Ed-

Right you are Ed

FS uses Direct Play part of Direct X for its multiplayer connections. Direct play requires that all users communicate to all other users directly (ports 2300 to 2400 slightly varies by sim). This requires forwarding of ports because different parts of DirectX function on different ports.

WOW is another story they are the first legalized Spyware on the market. I am not sure what their interface is for Multiplayer.