PDA

View Full Version : Medals in stead of points..?

Ferry_vO
November 18th, 2008, 12:49
No more racing for fifth to win a title, if Ecclestone gets his way.. :

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-medal-system-coming-to-formula-1-ecclestone-says/

This actually sounds like a good idea..

Cazzie
November 18th, 2008, 14:53
Rubbish! Bernie needs to be committed! :banghead:

Caz

Ferry_vO
November 18th, 2008, 15:01
Rubbish!

Why?

At least now the guy with the most wins will be the champion at the end of the season. Points will still be counted, but only for the constructors' championship.

Panther_99FS
November 18th, 2008, 15:16
In my opinion, this medal system should be in A1GP vice F1....

wombat666
November 18th, 2008, 22:12
I agree with Ed, A1GP is the obvious choice for this type of award.

As for Effwun, the best way to go would be 12 points for a win, with the current score for the minors remaining in place, plus 1 point for fastest race lap and 1 point for pole.

Champions should be the racers with the most wins.
:kilroy:

Bernie needs to focus on other areas methinks!

'Bernie Ecclestone and wife Slavica are to divorce after 24 years of marriage, it has been claimed by British newspaper the Daily Mail – and intriguingly, most of the couple's £2.4 billion fortune is understood to be in her name.
The Formula 1 supremo's Croatian-born wife is reported to have moved out of the Ecclestones' £10 million marital home in London after the couple grew increasingly apart, with the former's workaholic lifestyle said to be to blame. Mrs Ecclestone is understood to have chosen to move out now as daughters Tamara, 24 and Petra, 19 are no longer living at home, and she is said to have already consulted a divorce lawyer.
“Bernie is totally focused on his work,” a source told the newspaper, “but you don't pull yourself up from nowhere to become one of the richest men in the land by being a pussycat.”
Most interestingly of all, the Mail reports that Ecclestone had signed over the bulk of his personal fortune to his wife – a 50-year-old, statuesque 6ft 2in former model whom he met at the 1982 Italian Grand Prix – after he made £1.9 billion from a bond issue in 1999, electing to place the money in off-shore trusts controlled by Slavica. That raises the prospect of a billion-pound divorce battle should the split prove to be final.
“Nearly everything is in her name,” another source revealed. “She is non-domiciled in Britain and therefore it made sense for tax reasons.”
Aside from their Kensington home, the couple also have a jet and small hotel in Gstaad, Switzerland, and a yacht named Petara after their two daughters. Their marriage has always appeared rock-solid, despite the incessant tabloid and paparazzi interest prompted by their 28-year age gap and ten-inch height difference.
Having now moved into a flat overlooking the Thames, however, Slavica told the Daily Mail: “I don't want to say anything. You can talk to my husband.”
:applause:

IanP
November 20th, 2008, 01:58
I still never understood what was wrong with the previous F1 points system of 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1.

I don't agree that necessarily the person with the most wins should get it, because if one driver scores, say, one or two wins in a season and doesn't finish the rest of the races, they definitely are not a better driver or team than one who comes second in every race, but never scores a win. There has to be something for consistency as well and the only way of doing that is points on high-placed finishes.

...or we could just do it the F1 way and engrave everything "Ferrari" before the start of the season, then work out how to get to the desired end result later! :censored:

Ian P.

wombat666
November 20th, 2008, 02:41
I was just talking to a friend (face to face in real time!!) about the 1982 season when the one and only Keke Rosberg won the championship.
He did at least manage one victory and missed out on a second by inches (Austrian GP, one of the best real F1 races I have seen) in a year which had several drivers scoring GP wins.

IMHO, 'Consistancy' is a virtue at Le Mans, the Spa 24 Hours and the Nurburgring 24 Hour enduro, while 'Outright Victory' should be rewarded for these dinky little 200K F1 events ............:kilroy:

Panther_99FS
November 20th, 2008, 04:46
I still never understood what was wrong with the previous F1 points system of 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1.
Ian P.

I agree - it was fine....

Ferry_vO
November 20th, 2008, 06:44

It was fine until a certain M. Schumacher was crowned champion in France; in the middle oif the season! To keep things interesting for longer the FIA adopted the 10/8/6/5/4/3/2/1 system. Now they are complaining that the driver with the most wins didn't win the title...

wombat666
November 20th, 2008, 22:27
It was fine until a certain M. Schumacher was crowned champion in France; in the middle oif the season! To keep things interesting for longer the FIA adopted the 10/8/6/5/4/3/2/1 system. Now they are complaining that the driver with the most wins didn't win the title...

Well, at leat the FIA and the Wombat agree on something!
:d
The old line "Winners should be Grinners" is one I firmly believe in.