PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my hands on one!

Piglet
July 27th, 2010, 19:55
Just wish it was mine!!!
Just purchased by one of our customers, already got about 200 pics. You know it's gonna be an upcoming project...
.137821378313784http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

DennyA
July 27th, 2010, 20:20
Tooo fun!

Think you'll be able to finagle a ride from the customer?

(If you do, don't forget your recorder for engine noises. :)

Sundog
July 27th, 2010, 20:34
Didn't you make one of these way back when you first started IIRC? I'll certainly be looking forward to what you'll be able to do with such a great reference.

Ferry_vO
July 28th, 2010, 02:08
Sweet! :applause:

(But I hope it's behind the C.3605 in the queue though... ;) )

calypsos
July 28th, 2010, 03:04
What a nice little aircraft the Bulldog is, I have had several flights in them over the years, a little like a GT-I version of small GA aircraft. That photo looks like it has a CFS scheme too, rather attractive.

kilo delta
July 28th, 2010, 03:26
Fantastic news,Tim!!!!!!!!!!!:ernae:

There's one based at my local field too...in full RAF livery too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/GeeTI/EIAB/DSC_0113.jpg

Bone
July 28th, 2010, 06:04
Interesting tail code XX. Macao? The two Bulldogs here have tail numbers that are pretty close, too...XX540 and XX550.

peter12213
July 28th, 2010, 06:33
Sweet! :applause:

Agreed I hope so too!

wings4521
July 28th, 2010, 06:42
Bone,

the XX tail code is that aircraft's military id no for British mil ac. standard is 2 letters and 3 digits with no 2 a/c having the same no.

kilo delta
July 28th, 2010, 07:02
Bone,

the XX tail code is that aircraft's military id no for British mil ac. standard is 2 letters and 3 digits with no 2 a/c having the same no.

Yep..as wings says.

It's pretty rare to see an RAF liveried/regged a/c based on an island where EI-xxx is more commonplace :d

Bone
July 28th, 2010, 07:15
Ah, thanks. It's interesting that a civil owned aircraft would still be allowed to carry a mil code in lieu of the civil registration number.

IanP
July 28th, 2010, 07:30
They have a civilian code too, it's just that unlike the US, where an aircraft carrying a military ID (e.g. a period liveried Mustang) has to also carry the N number, in the UK and Ireland, they are just registered that "military painted aircraft showing code QE-D and P9999" = "G-SQED"

It means that people can still complain when they get buzzed and the owner can still get tracked very quickly, but the historical livery can be kept intact as well.

Ian P.

Bone
July 28th, 2010, 07:34
Thanks. I'm always learning something good and of interest around here.

SkippyBing
July 28th, 2010, 07:55
They have a civilian code too, it's just that unlike the US, where an aircraft carrying a military ID (e.g. a period liveried Mustang) has to also carry the N number, in the UK and Ireland, they are just registered that "military painted aircraft showing code QE-D and P9999" = "G-SQED"

It means that people can still complain when they get buzzed and the owner can still get tracked very quickly, but the historical livery can be kept intact as well.

Ian P.

I believe technically each aircraft has to apply to the CAA for an exemption and they consider it based on the specific livery it's going to be painted in, not that I can think of an example where it's been denied.

kilo delta
July 28th, 2010, 08:27

Ian P.

Yep..."550" above is registered as G-CBBL (http://www.demobbed.org.uk/aircraft.php?type=278)...those markings may be on her in tiny lettering somewhere, must take a closer look next time I'm at the field. :)

Bjoern
July 28th, 2010, 08:58

Dito for the early "Wan-oh-nain". :d

fsafranek
July 28th, 2010, 09:03
Built an Airfix kit of one of those decades ago. Always thought it was an interesting little plane. Looking forward to this one. I think Sweden also used them. Recall a camo scheme.
:ernae:

vampire163
July 28th, 2010, 09:18
You know it's gonna be an upcoming project...

:jump: SWEEEEEEET!!!!

The only plane I've actually done some aerobatics in, over the Ards Peninsula, out of Belfast City Airport with the Air Cadets, many moons ago. I've been dying for someone to make an up to date Bulldog! :wiggle:

warchild
July 28th, 2010, 12:24
Its cute. i want to cuddle it and give it a baby bottle :::LOL:: seriously.. it looks like a great little plane.. I'll be looking forward to it :)

Naki
July 28th, 2010, 13:12
Built an Airfix kit of one of those decades ago. Always thought it was an interesting little plane. Looking forward to this one. I think Sweden also used them. Recall a camo scheme.
:ernae:

I also built an Airfix kit (I wonder what happened to it?)...actually if I recall correctly the PSS Bulldog was the very first add on aircraft I put in FS... Sweden did use the Bulldog (in camo) along with Jordan, Kenya and Malaysia (IIRC).

I am really looking forward to this one.

Railrunner130
July 28th, 2010, 16:16
Didn't Tim do one already? A new one would be cool!

If I recall correctly, it was a blast for a piston aerobatic airplane.

XX540 and XX550 would indicate to me that they were probably in a block of aircraft that was sold to the civilian world. I assume XX is for the Bulldog type. I'm not sure where they came up with the three numbers, but it would appear that 540 and 550 are only ten airplanes apart on the production line. Any insight into this?

kilo delta
July 28th, 2010, 16:31
Yep..."550" above is registered as G-CBBL (http://www.demobbed.org.uk/aircraft.php?type=278)...those markings may be on her in tiny lettering somewhere, must take a closer look next time I'm at the field. :)

See the link in my post above Railrunner130.

Afaik, RAF serials are set aside in blocks/batches and the XX part of the serial is related to the year they were ordered? For example there are many BAe Hawks, Sepecat Jaguars and Aerospatiale Gazelles bearing the markings XX--- .

Naki
July 28th, 2010, 16:31
Railrunner ..off this web site http://www.ukserials.com/

"the U.K. is currently using a system of 2 letters followed by 3 digits that began in 1940 with AA100. Certain letters are generally not used as they look too similar to others, and some letter combinations are not used for a variety of reasons. The numeric part of the serial was traditionally between 100 and 999, but in recent years they have started at 001 in order to get more use out of the current system. "Blackout Blocks" were incorporated into all serial batches in order to disguise the true quantities of aircraft ordered or in service, but this practice has now ceased, however serial numbers are being allocated to even more simulators, again this is to allow maintenance records on these high-tech training devices to be kept up-to-date."

XX540 and XX550 are the military serials when they were first allocated to the RAF. On the above site checking XX540 and XX550 against the manufacturers serial number they were closely delivered together but not neccesairly ten aircraft apart as there would appear to have been an aircraft produced for another service in there.