PDA

View Full Version : IRIS Christen Eagle II shots

anatolpopov
July 27th, 2010, 01:41
Some fun flying with two Eagles.
13734137371373513736http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

ryanbatc
July 27th, 2010, 11:33
Very nice! How does this compare to the newly released Pitts?

anatolpopov
July 27th, 2010, 23:58
Well I haven't bought Pitts yet.

Txmmy83
July 28th, 2010, 02:05
Comparison:

it is hard to compare the IRIS with Addictive Simulations but I will try

Model:
IRIS Christen Eagle: 2 Bladed Double Seater & 3 Bladed High Performance Single Seater
Addictive Simulations Pitts S1: 2 Bladed Single Seater

Inflight handling (Extreme Aerobatics):
IRIS Christen Eagle: Possible & very failure forgiving
Addictive Simulations Pitts S1: Possible but plane is generally a bit more nervous than IRIS Christen

VC:
IRIS Christen Eagle:
Addictive Simulations Pitts S1:

can't decide which is better on that ocassion both are awesome

Frame rates:
IRIS Christen Eagle:
Addictive Simulations Pitts S1:

Addictive Pitts is a fair bit better on resources

Sound:
IRIS Christen Eagle: Good Sound Pack
Addictive Simulations Pitts S1: it is included but does not sound like a Pitts or any other Aerobatic Plane

Conclussion:

Both are great additions to every FSX Hangar
where the Addictive Pitts really Lacks a good sound but I think is not a deal breaker since sounds are replaceable with better one

Best Regards
Tom

Merkava
July 28th, 2010, 07:44
Addictive Simulations Pitts in FSX is not aerobatic plane. It can't make the "knife" and other aerobatic manuvers. It's just some sort of something fast flying and qwick rolling thing.
IRIS Christen Eagle in FSX much more aerobatic. Almost perfect. But has some visual modelling problem... For someones minor, for others important.

Naki
July 28th, 2010, 13:07
Comparison:

Inflight handling (Extreme Aerobatics):
IRIS Christen Eagle: Possible & very failure forgiving
Addictive Simulations Pitts S1: Possible but plane is generally a bit more nervous than IRIS Christen

Tom

Wouldnt the real Pitts be a "nervous" or twitchy aircraft?

As for Knife edge flight ..other users are reporting that the Pitts can do Knife Edge flight - check out the Avsim review.

warchild
July 28th, 2010, 14:31
appearance problems with the Iris model?? hmm.. probably because David was working with the original Christen blueprints which would have had to have been shrunken before scanning in..
Also, considering they were the original, they may have been from a time before the publicly released blueprints existed..

Merkava
July 28th, 2010, 19:12
Wouldnt the real Pitts be a "nervous" or twitchy aircraft?

As for Knife edge flight ..other users are reporting that the Pitts can do Knife Edge flight - check out the Avsim review.

I don't make my opinion from some review. I like to make my own. And I can't make Knife on Pitts. I can "fly on side" but with huge lost of altitude and CAN NOT keep it on level in this manuver, how much power and "nose up" I try to add. It's NOT Knife. On IRIS Eagle - I can do it as I have to do.

Merkava
July 28th, 2010, 19:18
appearance problems with the Iris model?? hmm.. probably because David was working with the original Christen blueprints which would have had to have been shrunken before scanning in..
Also, considering they were the original, they may have been from a time before the publicly released blueprints existed..
I don't mean geometry. I mean some smooth and polygon problems on tail section and under cabin. The reason maybe is in bad optimisation method from hi-poly model to optimised for FSX model.
You can see it in these images.

Naki
July 28th, 2010, 19:34
I don't make my opinion from some review. I like to make my own. And I can't make Knife on Pitts. I can "fly on side" but with huge lost of altitude and CAN NOT keep it on level in this manuver, how much power and "nose up" I try to add. It's NOT Knife. On IRIS Eagle - I can do it as I have to do.

No problems, of course you make up your own mind if you cant make it knife edge you can't, but I have read elsewhere on other forums and the reviewer on Avsim stated that he can knife edge the Pitts. Same with sounds, some are reporting bad sounds others are saying its good, but I guess its depends on your set up to a certain extent. I am trying to gather get some informed opinion on the Pitts as I was thinking about getting it.

Merkava
July 28th, 2010, 19:42
No problems, of course you make up your own mind If you cant make it knife edge you can't, but I have read elsewhere on other forums and the reviewer on Avsim stated that he can knife edge the Pitts. Same with sounds, some are reporting bad sounds others are saying its good. I am trying to gather get some informed opinion on this aircaft as I was thinking about getting it, but I guess its depends on your set up to a certain extent.

Maybe, maybe. Maybe sometime somewhere I can find some realism and controlls setup for correct aerobatic on this VERY GOOD legendary Pitts. Maybe problem is in my settings.
I don't say that it Pitts is bad. :) I just very miss about aerobatic in FSX. This section is almost empty. :( That's why I waiting maybe more then I have to.
Old good aerobaric Flight Unlimited... Where are you? :(

Naki
July 28th, 2010, 20:02
Yeah I know what you mean - a really top notch aerobatic aircaft is missing from my hanger. I may just decide to keep flying Tim's Zlin (which is a lot of fun) and use that as my aerobatic ship - but the Pitts does look good. Sibwings are bringing out a Pitts (may have to wait a while!) as well which no doubt will look fantastic but they will have to nail the FDE for me to seriously look at it and not have all the dramas over their Bird Dog which had bad FDE when it first came out , although the Bird Dog is one one my favourite aircraft in its its patched v2 form.

Anyway I have let thread drift and this is suppose to be about the Iris Eagle and the pics above...the Eagle does look great (and the pics are nice) but my preference is for a Pitts.

warchild
July 28th, 2010, 23:45
I don't mean geometry. I mean some smooth and polygon problems on tail section and under cabin. The reason maybe is in bad optimisation method from hi-poly model to optimised for FSX model.
You can see it in these images.

Ahhhh, yeahh.. I can see that.. thanks for clarifying it.. i've never seen an eagle up close, so i've never had anything to compare Davids work too beyond the blueprints, but the image makes it apparent.. Still though, it aint too bad.. :)..

Ken Stallings
July 29th, 2010, 18:40
I know this was a hoot and a half aircraft in FS2004. So, to see it now for FSX is really sweet!

Ken

warchild
July 30th, 2010, 09:33
Regarding the Knife edge. even in real life, the eagle doesnt really knife edge. no plane does, and thats because the aircrafts main lifting surface is seting at a ninety degree variance from the source of gravity.. Lift is pulling you sideways, gravity is pulling you down. To cpmpensate, bith the Pitts and Eagle have to "fly" on their propellors, using the engines power to keep them relatively in the air, but you still lose altitude. If you observe the Eagle, you'll see shes actually quite nose high during a knife edge. The Pitts would be also..
Now, i dont know what went into designing the flight characteristics of the Pitts. I DO know what went into the Eagle..
The Eagle wasnt done to be a payware aircraft. It was done for Mr Christen who is very old now, for his grand kids. I put hundreds of hours into that plane. Josh put in Thousands of hours. I know, I was there practically next to him through the entire process.. The plane was built entirely on love. Maybe thats the difference..

Pam

bstolle
July 31st, 2010, 01:11
> even in real life, the eagle doesnt really knife edge. no plane does...

??? IMHO knife edge defines just the attitude of the plane, not the flight path. (e.g. knife edge spin)
Even the rather big C-27J Spartan can do a long knife edge pass...the same goes for the Pitts and the Eagle (for a short time) if you start with enough speed..
planes like the Edge have no problems in mainting a horizontal flight path during that maneuver

>.. Lift is pulling you sideways, gravity is pulling you down. To cpmpensate, bith the Pitts and Eagle have to "fly" on their propellors, using the engines power to keep them relatively in the air, but you still lose altitude. If you observe the Eagle, you'll see shes actually quite nose high during a knife edge.

Well even to fly straight and level at a 'normal' attitude you have to 'fly' on the propeller ;)
Knife edge is not a maneuver where you are 'hanging' on the prop.
The reason for the nose high attitude is that the fuselage (and the vertical tail) are providing the lift in that case.
On the Pitts the engine is just to weak to overcome the drag from the lift producing fuselage to maintain a level flight path....

Wing_Z
July 31st, 2010, 01:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-4yJeekY54

bstolle
July 31st, 2010, 01:56
Now that's really impressive. That's the first time I see that one can use the ground effect from the fuselage, LOL!
Would be interesting to know what engine sits under that cowling!

anatolpopov
July 31st, 2010, 04:32
Click this link and visit Skip Stewarts home page.

http://www.skipstewartairshows.com/

I don't find info about motor but it reads that plane have 400 horse power.