PDA

View Full Version : Most pointless gauge in FSX ever.

anthony31
July 27th, 2010, 01:13
So... I'm doing a bit of work on the aerodynamics and happily spinning my way into the big round thing. Of course, when doing this you have crash detection turned off so you don't have to wait for things to reload. Anyway, the g forces on impact are enough to set of the ELT.

Do we really need an ELT in FSX? Do we really need one that will set itself off when you crash with enough force to trip the g-switch?

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w356/anthony31VOZ/Sierra/073ELT.jpg

Cleartheprop
July 27th, 2010, 01:21
yes we do! Providing everybody else flying around monitors 121.5 or 243 MHZ on com 2...
Is it possible to test (trigger the ELT) and hear the actual signal on the radio ?
Wonderful addition!

anthony31
July 27th, 2010, 01:29
I can't do the audio signal I'm afraid. I'd have to learn C programming to do that. I'd have loved to have it beeping away if set off but I'm still only doing XML gauges. You can run the test sequence though (click on the right side of the button) and it will flash as it should and you can manually set it off (click on the left side). you can, of course, reset it if you accidentally set it off.

Cleartheprop
July 27th, 2010, 03:51
I can't do the audio signal I'm afraid. I'd have to learn C programming to do that. I'd have loved to have it beeping away if set off but I'm still only doing XML gauges. You can run the test sequence though (click on the right side of the button) and it will flash as it should and you can manually set it off (click on the left side). you can, of course, reset it if you accidentally set it off.

I guess it can be done. Unfortunately, I know nothing about programming or whatsoever.
It is a very nice touch that adds realism to the simulation.
Thank you for your excellent work.

empeck
July 27th, 2010, 05:30

There is a dll gauge that allows to start sounds from xml. I can't program in C++ too, and I've succesfully used it in my Pirat.

This should be it, but I'm not 100% sure, and can't check right now:

http://www.simviation.com/fsgauges_8.htm

XML Sound Gauges v2.1 by Doug Dawson.

idancesafetydance
July 27th, 2010, 08:21
ELT? BYOOO BYOOO BYOOO BYOOOO BYOOOO BYOOO BYOOO BYOOO BYOOOO.

The most annoying thing you'll ever hear when you join CAP.

Byooo byooo byooo byoooo byoooo byoooo byooo byoooo byooo

ryanbatc
July 27th, 2010, 11:36
ELT? BYOOO BYOOO BYOOO BYOOOO BYOOOO BYOOO BYOOO BYOOO BYOOOO.

The most annoying thing you'll ever hear when you join CAP.

Byooo byooo byooo byoooo byoooo byoooo byooo byoooo byooo

Or when you work ATC.... :banghead:

Roadburner440
July 27th, 2010, 13:17
I know. We see them driving around Mayport all the time with the big antenna trying to figure out what aircraft on the flightline got tripped... It is annoying as can be that is for sure when you are on the radio.

bobmay
July 27th, 2010, 13:59
Errr ....what's an ELT ?

ryanbatc
July 27th, 2010, 14:11
Errr ....what's an ELT ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Locator_Transmitter

anthony31
July 27th, 2010, 15:35
There is a dll gauge that allows to start sounds from xml. I can't program in C++ too, and I've succesfully used it in my Pirat.

This should be it, but I'm not 100% sure, and can't check right now:

http://www.simviation.com/fsgauges_8.htm

XML Sound Gauges v2.1 by Doug Dawson.

Yes, I know about that gauge. Lotussim use it in the L-39 to add sounds as well. I guess I'm just a bit funny. If I haven't made it myself I don't want to have anything to do with it :) .

There is a trick with XML gauges to get sounds and that is using the seatbelts and no smoking commands as these will produce a sound each time you toggle them and you can define them in the sound.cfg file. Fine if you are in a GA plane as you wouldn't be using these commands anyway. I already use the seatbelts trigger when a switch is flicked so I guess I could use the no smoking trigger to add the beeps to the cockpit sounds.

There was a scenery once that placed a crashed airplane and added an NDB so you could tune your radios into it to track down the ELT. Would be cool if you could do the same with an aircraft, get it to behave like an NDB so in multiplayer others could track you down. I have no idea how you'd do it though.

In the meantime I guess you could just tune your comms radio to 121.5 and go "beep beep beep" :icon_lol:

Wozza
July 27th, 2010, 22:31
Yes, I know about that gauge. Lotussim use it in the L-39 to add sounds as well. I guess I'm just a bit funny. If I haven't made it myself I don't want to have anything to do with it :) .

There is a trick with XML gauges to get sounds and that is using the seatbelts and no smoking commands as these will produce a sound each time you toggle them and you can define them in the sound.cfg file. Fine if you are in a GA plane as you wouldn't be using these commands anyway. I already use the seatbelts trigger when a switch is flicked so I guess I could use the no smoking trigger to add the beeps to the cockpit sounds.

There was a scenery once that placed a crashed airplane and added an NDB so you could tune your radios into it to track down the ELT. Would be cool if you could do the same with an aircraft, get it to behave like an NDB so in multiplayer others could track you down. I have no idea how you'd do it though.

In the meantime I guess you could just tune your comms radio to 121.5 and go "beep beep beep" :icon_lol:
Just get the switch to trigger an effect in a spare light channel or smoke system,then edit the effect to generate the sound.
Wozza

anthony31
July 28th, 2010, 00:03
That's a clever idea Wozza. You can fly the Sierra with the canopy open if you like so I may look into using that effect method to add some windnoise if the canopy is open and the aircraft is in flight.

SADT
July 28th, 2010, 01:10
Yes please!

BTW, does the Sierra have a nav radio on the standard model? or an AP?

Wozza
July 28th, 2010, 06:14
That's a clever idea Wozza. You can fly the Sierra with the canopy open if you like so I may look into using that effect method to add some windnoise if the canopy is open and the aircraft is in flight.
yeah I tried it before and didnt like the effect :) it really needs 3 or 4 different effects so the sound changes as the canopy is opened....dont forget to put an airspeed param in as well as it sounds funny when sitting still on the ground :D
another way was to use the global sound volume xml code to up the sound volume as the canopy is opened, it also has some drawbacks as all the sounds get louder
Wozza

Ken Stallings
July 28th, 2010, 17:51
So... I'm doing a bit of work on the aerodynamics and happily spinning my way into the big round thing. Of course, when doing this you have crash detection turned off so you don't have to wait for things to reload. Anyway, the g forces on impact are enough to set of the ELT.

Do we really need an ELT in FSX? Do we really need one that will set itself off when you crash with enough force to trip the g-switch?

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w356/anthony31VOZ/Sierra/073ELT.jpg

Well, if you are trying for realism, it is a gauge that exists on many aircraft. I have one on my C-310R. Of course, in this example, the switch is rotated 90 degrees left of where it should be, which is a bit strange.

Now, in FSX it may not mean much. But, in real life it allows the A&P a very convenient way to do the ground tests, and also for the pilot to turn it off if it trips unintentionally.

Cheers,

Ken

anthony31
July 29th, 2010, 16:50
Ken

Re: the ELT remote (from the manual:An RC200 remote control panel is available for installation in the cockpit in
order to enable the pilot to monitor and control the ELT status) being turned 90 deg. In my defence all I can offer is this:

Ken Stallings
July 29th, 2010, 18:34
Very strange! He had plenty of panel space to install it right side up, so the graphics were more readable.

Cheers,

Ken

SkippyBing
July 29th, 2010, 23:49
He had plenty of panel space to install it right side up, so the graphics were more readable.

Depends how you finish up after the crash!

kilo delta
July 29th, 2010, 23:58
Maybe the pilot has a bad crick in his neck...

http://namibsands.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/02_crick-in-the-neck.jpg

:d