PDA

View Full Version : LOD 9?

Fibber
July 26th, 2010, 05:06
Trying to do some catching up,( traveling and having the shock of a very close friend suddenly pass away) and reading through some of the posts by MR, et al, I see references to a LOD9. I have only up to LOD 8. Is there a new LOD 9 floating around out there? If so, is it required for the new MR Marianas and if so where do I find it?

Jagdflieger
July 26th, 2010, 12:53
Fibber,

Yes, there is a bunch of LOD 9 floating around at the different sim sites. Not all of it is good and some may not "mesh" in with the new LOD 7 and 8 mesh and coasts by Rhumba, but if you place it higher up in the scenery higherarchy it works well for specific areas just like Maskrider has done for his new Marianna Islands scenery.

I generally keep Japan, the Philippines and South-East Asia covered in LOD 9 as well as the Alps in Europe.

I guess FSX can now utilize LOD 10. Don't know as I don't fly it, but that ought to be pretty detailed.

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Here are some shots of Central Honshu Island, Japan with LOD 9 mesh installed.

Fibber
July 26th, 2010, 13:42
Thanks for the info.
As regards my friend, he really was one of a kind. He could never do enough to try to keep a smile on your face. Even when we worked he would find humor in something no matter how bad. He was a story teller and had some real good ones. He did a stint as a jarhead door gunner in SNam in the early years. His bird was shot down and he was the only survivor of 14 on board. The VC found and searched that bird and ,as he put it, could count .They realized when they found a item with his name on it that they were missing one. He spent a week of playing hide and seek with them till he saw a pilot parachuting down from a lost bird. He found him and got out when SAR came for the pilot. As he put it that pilots first words to him was " where the h+ll did you come from!" He told the story humorously but admitted he was scared out of his wits.
He will be sadly missed, but not forgotten.

Devildog73
July 26th, 2010, 14:25
Semper Fidelis Marine! Rest in Peace.
Say hello to Chesty for me.

rhumbaflappy
July 26th, 2010, 15:34
Finding elevation data for mesh can be difficult.

The SRTM data that almost all mesh is made from is at the resolution of about 90 meters.

LOD 8 is about 152 meters, and LOD 9 is about 76.

That's why I made the mesh resampled to LOD 8 ( better to undersample it to keep it somewhat realistic ).... and the facts that LOD 9 would be hard to host anywhere ( huge file size ) while not adding a lot to the sim. In a combat sim, even LOD 8 is a bit too much.

And I also figured that if someone had a better data set than the SRTM, then LOD 9 could be saved for that. That was my dream, that people would take LOD5-sized areas, and completely rework the land-water masks, and the roads & shorelines, and then make detailed LOD 9 mesh, and bundle these as packages.

The default detailed areas for CFS2 mesh are LOD9... but the data is not very good. Microsoft didn't have the SRTM set to use then, and most of the pacific has no better mesh available.

The mesh of FSX is pretty good, but it can't be used ( or converted ) in CFS2.

Dick

Devildog73
July 26th, 2010, 16:17
Fibber,

Yes, there is a bunch of LOD 9 floating around at the different sim sites. Not all of it is good and some may not "mesh" in with the new LOD 7 and 8 mesh and coasts by Rhumba, but if you place it higher up in the scenery higherarchy it works well for specific areas just like Maskrider has done for his new Marianna Islands scenery.

I generally keep Japan, the Philippines and South-East Asia covered in LOD 9 as well as the Alps in Europe.

I guess FSX can now utilize LOD 10. Don't know as I don't fly it, but that ought to be pretty detailed.

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Here are some shots of Central Honshu Island, Japan with LOD 9 mesh installed.

Jagd,
Have you tried Rolf Keibel's wit'h MaskRider's scenery and Rhumba's 7 & 8?

Fibber
July 26th, 2010, 17:59
Thaanks for the explanation. I thought that I had read a earlier post by you concerning this LOD9 and that you thought it was too taxing on the CFS . That is why I was really starting to get lost on the subject.
DD I had RK's mesh in but took it out. Maybe I will try putting it in with Rhumbas 7&8 and MR's fields.

dvslats
July 29th, 2010, 01:34
The default detailed areas for CFS2 mesh are LOD9... but the data is not very good. Microsoft didn't have the SRTM set to use then, and most of the pacific has no better mesh available.

Dick
Hi Dick,
I have a quick question...for several years I've had Justin Tyme's LOD9 for the Pacific and Asia, but have only used it in Fs9.

On several occasions...tried using it in CFS2. The end results were always the same. Spikes that seem to rise up through the stratosphere.

Would there be some kind of conversion needed on the.bgl files so they would show properly in this ol' combat sim?

I had asked the question on the fsgenisis forum a few years back, but received no reply. They probably thought I was joking or nuts. :icon34: :icon_lol:
Back then my hope was to get a LOO9 for Taiwan.
Would doing something like this be possible?

Thanks In Advance, Dave

rohan
July 29th, 2010, 05:49
Dave,
that's a very interesting question, and I'm also interested in Dick's answer given that his mesh works very well in FS9.

Did you know that Josiah Haut did a LOD 10 mesh for Taiwan in FS2002 and CFS2 ? It's available at flightsim -
http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=48339

There's also a LOD 9 mesh but that's for FS9 -
http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=113461

hope that helps,
Ro
:ernae:

Jagdflieger
July 29th, 2010, 08:09
DD,

I'm operating in a computer challenged environment (past year and a half) so I haven't tried those combinations yet. I fully plan to when I get back in a few months.

Rohan,

I use LOD 9 mesh interchangeably between CFS 2 and FS 9 without any trouble. I use J.Haut's mesh all the time as I've found it largely error free and without spikes or other anomalies. As I understand it, FSX mesh is incompatable with earlier versions of MS flight sims.

rhumbaflappy
July 29th, 2010, 12:27
I don't have Justin's FS9 mesh, but his reputation is very good. If his mesh was made with the FS9 SDK's resample, it probably wouldn't work in CFS2.

As far as other LOD9 or LOD10 meshes, the question to ask is when was it made? If it was made before the SRTM data was available, it probably is not very accurate.

If you don't want accuracy, then you might as well just use the default mesh, LWMs and VTP1 lines. I could make LOD9 10 11 12 13... but if it is just fantasy, I'd rather not do it.

With SRTM, LOD9 is definitely pushing the limits. With mesh, more bumpiness doesn't mean it's better. And, if you're just hoping for prettier screenshots, then you'd be better off using FSX.

I've felt CFS2 was meant for combat, and LOD9 doesn't add much to the combat or navigational needs of the sim.

I only made the mesh because the simviation mesh that is so often mentioned is extremely flawed. The flaws were caused by the poor production of the mesh, not by the data used. My mesh doesn't have the same major flaws, so is useful for CFS2.

I have used my mesh is FS2004 and FSX. It works just fine, which just proves those products are backwardly compatible with the FS2000 SDK I used.

Dick

rohan
July 29th, 2010, 18:05
Dick,
thank you muchly for your input.

Jagd,
appreciate your comment about JH's mesh as I was hoping to be able to use his Scandinavian files when I have my new PC built and can start doing some serious CFS2 work.

:ernae:
Ro

dvslats
July 30th, 2010, 01:20
Dick,
i appreciate that info. Thanks. It was just a curiosity of mine.
Dv