PDA

View Full Version : Garden Reports

OBIO
July 25th, 2010, 15:01
Just wondering how other people's veggie gardens are doing.

Our tomato plants are so heavy with maters that I have had to add more stakes and a lot more ties to hold them up and to keep all the maters up off the ground. Have had 4 ripe tomatoes from the garden so far....another week to a week and a half and we will have maters ripening like crazy. Good thing we bought that small chest freezer a couple months ago...going to freeze a lot of maters. And the landlord will have more tomatoes than he will care to eat...so we will get a lot of maters from him as well. Deb's patio tomatoes are doing very well and will have a dozen ready for picking in a couple days with lots more to ripen.

Our pepper plants....not so good. Not a single green bell pepper and only a handful of yellow banana peppers. Now the landlord's peppers are bumper cropped like crazy..so many peppers that the weight of them has pulled the plants over.

Our Egg Plants never came up.

Cucumber plants..only 3 made it...they are just now getting blooms. We might get 12 to 18 cukes out of the 3 plants.

Bird House Gourds.....they are doing wonderfully. Some of the gourds are over a foot long already. The 4 plants will yield close to 100 gourds. Can't eat them....but once they dry and cure, we will decorate them and sell them to local nurseries and plant stores. Takes a year for them to be fully dried and cured.

OBIO

HouseHobbit
July 25th, 2010, 15:18
Well my tomatos are like yours, doing Great.
The green beans are doing very well, as is the sweet corn..
Leaf Lettce, is producing sallads everyday, (Has been for some time now)..
iceberg lettce is also doing well..
My egg plants are Okay nothing special right now..
Tobacco not bad, I should beable to keep my pipe full another year..
Hey, if nothing else, we can get together and have one really cool tomato fight..:jump:
I hope that your garden does you proud..:salute:

OBIO
July 25th, 2010, 16:40
You raise your own 'bacca? Cool! Our neighbor raised 'bacca when I was a kid...well, I say neighbor but he lived a mile and a half from us...which only put him 4 houses down the road from us. The smell of a barn filled with drying and curing 'bacca is something that just has to be experienced first hand. Like the smell of fresh baked bread...not something you can easily describe to someone who has never smelled that smell before. Not that drying and curing bacca smells like fresh baked bread...but it is a smell that just can't be described easily.

OBIO

jmig
July 25th, 2010, 17:01
My tomatoes have already run their course. We got one little one last week Probably the last one.

Willy
July 25th, 2010, 17:58
Tomatos seem to be doing okay. I don't eat 'em so I don't pay much attention to them
Sweet corn was a disappointment. Nice healthy looking stalks that just didn't put hardly any ears on.
Cantaloupes are doing good
Watermelons aren't ripe yet, but should have plenty
Just now starting to get some okra ready
Squash is doing good
Peas have come and gone.
Grass and weeds took over the carrots. I just really haven't much time to mess with them until it was too late.

HouseHobbit
July 25th, 2010, 20:28
You raise your own 'bacca? Cool! Our neighbor raised 'bacca when I was a kid...well, I say neighbor but he lived a mile and a half from us...which only put him 4 houses down the road from us. The smell of a barn filled with drying and curing 'bacca is something that just has to be experienced first hand. Like the smell of fresh baked bread...not something you can easily describe to someone who has never smelled that smell before. Not that drying and curing bacca smells like fresh baked bread...but it is a smell that just can't be described easily.

OBIO

Yes, I grew up in a family that grew Bacca, for a living.. I was 10 years old before I realized everyone didn't grow gardens, and bacca, and milk cows, or churn butter(by hand), or plow with mules..LOL..And stripped and hung tobacco..Always there was chores, but never too many..LOL..
I spent summers in kentucky on a farm that still used a wood cook stove, and had to draw your water from a well..But is was a loving place..
And I am sure I was quite a bit of fun to my grandparents there..
Hated it as a child, but now realize the Blessing in it..

To all who have had the pleasure of growing your own food, or hunting for your meat..
Or, Drawing water from a well..
BRAVO..:salute: