PDA

View Full Version : This makes me so sad... There must be a curse on this place...

grunau_baby
July 25th, 2010, 02:06
I lived there, just streets away from yesterday disaster until last year. And whenever it came to news from Duisburg it was always like Hells Angel street fights, Maffia killings, etc. And now this!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38393697/ns/world_news-europe/
The article describes it very well. The big questions to me are (I know what the situation looks like at the place! This tunnel even felt depressing when you crossed in a car.):
1. How can you expect 1.5 million people and only offer a party ground for around 500.000
2. On former parades it was always celebrated in the city center itself, which means enough spaces and streets for the crowd to spread. This time it was a closed off area with only ONE (yep, smallish) entrance (which was also the exit)! Unbelievable.
This was so predictable even for an amateur who is not into professionally planning events!

But again, I enjoyed my 6 years in this city, liked the people there (very unpretentious) and the atmosphere (student/university-town). This was another big chance for the place to rise itīs image. It saddens me - beyond the grief I feel for the victims and their families - that the city comes off in a bad light again! I still feel for the place...a very sad day indeed! This really haunts me.

Alex

txnetcop
July 25th, 2010, 03:17
That was some pretty poor planning and this is a tragedy.
Ted

KOM.Nausicaa
July 25th, 2010, 03:25
Terrible tragedy -- it's all the headlines in Germany today.

jmig
July 25th, 2010, 03:40
It is a tragedy! So senseless!

TeaSea
July 25th, 2010, 05:01
Very tragic and unfortunately it will happen again.

Planners routinely misjudge the effects of a large crowd and crowd dynamics.

Most venues are made with those things in mind, however even a slight modification of the flow can lead to disaster (I'm thinking of the Who concert years back).

Clearly this location was not capable of hosting this type of event.

Bone
July 25th, 2010, 07:29
That's a huge amount of dead and injured people...an airliner could crash and not have that many victims! What a tragedy.