PDA

View Full Version : Making things easier for myself, yard work-wise.....

Navy Chief
July 24th, 2010, 12:49
After my divorce last Sept., I started making changes around the house/yard in order to make things easier to take care of. One thing I am in the process of doing, is removing all the shrubs/plants all around the exterior of the house. Everything. I plan to put cypress mulch down, and end up with a clean look.

Problem is how to kill off the grass/weeds that are currently there? I found the following article, and wondered what you folks thought?

http://landscaping.about.com/od/alternativestograss/a/how_kill_grass.htm

NC

FAC257
July 24th, 2010, 13:12
NC

Not sure if it would be a problem in your area but thick paper and cardboard in contact with the ground can attract and become a food source for termites. Subterranean termites would have a field day with that in this area.

Since your not going to be using any plant material, very thick plastic sheeting or vinyl might be a better choice.

One thing to be very careful is the use of commercial weed killers around dogs. One of the more common ones used are products containing 2,4-D. Studies are showing that this chemical is being linked to very serious long term health issues in dogs.

FAC

pilottj
July 24th, 2010, 13:20
When I was landscaping, we used weed fabric in most cases. You can cut holes in it for plants you want to keep. Then put bark or mulch or gravel or whatever you want on top of it. Now for walkways, use conveyor belt material if you can get your hands on some...nothing will penetrate that. Cover it with gravel, stones..etc We used to do some landscaping for UPS and they would give us used rolls of old belting. It is perfect for walkways and driveways.

Cheers
TJ

Navy Chief
July 24th, 2010, 13:44
What I am wanting to do is kill off all plants up against the house, all around it. I see your point about not using newspaper, as it would attract termites.

I guess just removing all that I can to begin with, and then burying some plastic should do it.

NC

OleBoy
July 24th, 2010, 13:55
I have used plastic and weed barrier. Plastic makes the ground sweat and literally cooks what is under it if the weather is hot where you live. Weed barrier is ok, but if you plan on your efforts of all the work, get a higher grade that lasts longer.
....I have learned that the optimum weed (everything) barrier, is what the paper mills use for running paper and pulp. It's called "wire". It's a herring bone weaved mesh that is used for belting. If you can get your hands on some of that, that is the best you can ever have. I have had it in the flowerbeds in all my homes, with 2" minus river rock to cover it. Nothing will grow through it!! But water will penetrate it for the areas where you have plants that you do want to keep.

If you have a friend that works at a Paper Mill, they have just become your best friend ;)

And yes. Best means is to remove all you can. Roots and all

Navy Chief
July 24th, 2010, 13:59
When I lived in Jacksonville, FL, I could have gotten stuff from the paper mill. No such places where I live now though,............

NC

Curtis P40
July 24th, 2010, 14:07
If your going for that "maintenance free" thingy. Small rocks or gravel, they might cost alittle more than the mulch, but you only have to do it once.

Have fun

Bjoern
July 25th, 2010, 13:32
If your going for that "maintenance free" thingy. Small rocks or gravel, they might cost alittle more than the mulch, but you only have to do it once.

Doesn't work that well in my backyard; still have weeds popping out in between.

I was thinking about pesticiding everything that's green and then covering the soil with mulch. And somehow seal the gaps between the stones that make up the ground.

OleBoy
July 25th, 2010, 14:12
Doesn't work that well in my backyard; still have weeds popping out in between.

I was thinking about pesticiding everything that's green and then covering the soil with mulch. And somehow seal the gaps between the stones that make up the ground.

Best approach is to get all the weeds out that you can, then, on the thought you don't have pets, use a product called "Casaron". It comes in granule form and can be spread easily (use gloves and wash hands afterwards) read the cautionary statements and abide by them.

HouseHobbit
July 25th, 2010, 14:39
Hey, just get a Goat..
let him eat the weeds and stuff you don't want all summer, then in the fall..
EAT THE GOAT..
WIN/WIN...
No weeds and a nice meal later...:jump:
Speaking of food have to go..:wavey:

Bjoern
July 25th, 2010, 15:04
Best approach is to get all the weeds out that you can, then, on the thought you don't have pets, use a product called "Casaron". It comes in granule form and can be spread easily (use gloves and wash hands afterwards) read the cautionary statements and abide by them.

Thanks for the hint, but I can already get my hands on weed exterminators if I want to.

Knowing people in the agricultural business is a good thing. :)

Navy Chief
July 25th, 2010, 16:27
Actually, the people we bought the house from used to raise goats here. I have the barn, etc..., but no desire to take on any more animals!!!

NC

cheezyflier
July 25th, 2010, 18:43
concrete! :applause:

Snuffy
July 25th, 2010, 19:09
Hey Pete.

Might I suggest you pour concrete around your house and paint it green, or install astroturf. ;)

That makes yard work about as easy as it gets!

:wavey:

Navy Chief
July 26th, 2010, 03:48
Hey Pete.

Might I suggest you pour concrete around your house and paint it green, or install astroturf. ;)

That makes yard work about as easy as it gets!

:wavey:

Oh, believe me I have considered concrete or astroturf. Were it not for the expense, I would have done so a long time ago...........

NC

stiz
July 26th, 2010, 10:07
pull up what you can (only the heads need pulling really) level the area out as best ya can, then get some garden lino (heck even tarp is good, just use something that wont disintergrate) then just put gravel/chippings on top. Hey presto gravel/chippings and no weeds as they cant grow through, you can also cut out holes for any plants you want to keep :)