PDA

View Full Version : OT - Is this for real? Russian Carrier bolter

centuryseries
July 24th, 2010, 10:33
It looks real enough, and if it is, talk about dangerous!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8DFu-6sag&feature=related

clmooring
July 24th, 2010, 10:39
looks real to me. whether it was intended or not, who knows?

Railrunner130
July 24th, 2010, 11:25
I've seen a few Indian AF Su-30MKIs while they were on their way to Red Flag a few years ago. Based on what I saw those guys do, I'm pretty sure this is real.

Matt Wynn
July 24th, 2010, 11:32
talk about AoA passing a carrier! :icon_lol: someones going back to ground school on that one...

Navy Chief
July 24th, 2010, 11:38
Now THAT would be something to see in person from "Vulture's Row"!

NC

kilo delta
July 24th, 2010, 12:20
That pilot's got skillz....

...to be able to pull off a Pugachev's Cobra at ~1.5 feet over a moving carrier deck!

;) :d

deathfromafar
July 24th, 2010, 12:41
He's lucky! The hook came very close to grabbing the wires when he pitched up so aggressively which also pushed the tail down close to the deck. Had the hook grabbed a wire(a Hold-Off), that would have likely been a fatal crash. If any off you do not have the video series called Challenge of Flight (sub series-Carrier Quals), get a copy of it. You'll see a number of Hold-Off hook grabs that result in serious or fatal crashes. Looks to me he was a little bit low on power at close/ramp trying to settle back into glideslope but the problem with that is that a jet of that size and weight will continue sinking for a few moments even after power is added to dampen the excessive sink rate. He did what he had to do to get out of a dangerous situation by adding power and pitching up but he almost over did it!

srgalahad
July 24th, 2010, 14:58
Some interesting additional bits on this one... note the Tbilisi-class carriers do not use a catapult, even for the Su-33.

/v/7QHk30Zt7yg

Ken Stallings
July 24th, 2010, 16:53
All I can say for certain is that it does not look fake. So, if it is real, the pilot came within inches of death. The tailhook came within several inches of snagging a cable and that would have pile drived the jet back onto the carrier deck and resulted in a fireball, a dead pilot, and possibly injured or dead ship crew!

When jets have thrust to weight ratios of greater than one-to-one, maintaining and extreme angle of attack like this is possible -- just not something you desire to do that close to the ground!

Completely separate from the issue of the cable and the hook, if you have a sudden loss of thrust -- you die soon! You have zero altitude to push the nose down and setup glide speed. Further, at such an extreme AoA, chance of flameouts are increased. So, the maneuver makes it more likely to encounter the result that kills you!

Ken

warchild
July 24th, 2010, 19:53
comparing it to many of the videos i've watched, and the behaviour of my own work, the plane is definately capable of doing this and a lot more, but i believe that the majority concensus here is correct.. The guy or girl, got darned lucky. i'd chalk it to being a possible newbie in the cockpit.. Having seen several su-33 videos taken in the cockpit, i can only surmise that the plane is a real bear to fly. The pilots are working that stick continually, even when not in a maneuver. its got a real hair trigger and you would practically have to be a Zen master to really handle it right..

warchild
July 24th, 2010, 19:59
So, the maneuver makes it more likely to encounter the result that kills you!

Ken

Not as likely to happen in an su-33. there are air vents located in the bottom of the intakes and other technologies that were designed in to counter high angle flameouts.. I'm not saying it doesnt happen mind you, just saying that sukhoi learned from the mig 29 and did their homework.. the su-33 is a remarkable plane all in its own right.. The SU-37 takes it into a whole new category.

TeaSea
July 25th, 2010, 05:11
Not sure I understand what the purpose of such a maneuver would be....

kilo delta
July 25th, 2010, 09:00
Not sure I understand what the purpose of such a maneuver would be....

The aviation equivalent of this..

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2009/06/roy-rogers-and-trigger.jpg

Bone
July 25th, 2010, 09:32
The aviation equivalent of this..

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2009/06/roy-rogers-and-trigger.jpg

Alot more than you know, KD! Trigger came way too close to dragging his Tailhook accross a cactus. That's happened to other horses, and the resulting chaos spelled shear doom for the rider!

Matt Wynn
July 25th, 2010, 09:57
to Fly Pugachevs Cobra or any intense manouvre in the Flanker series you must first disengage the AoA limiter and the G-Limiter, then the aircraft really gains life, it can (for a few seconds) fly backwards with enough entry speed, literally cobra onto it's back gain lock and fire or if you had a guy trying to go guns you can use it to Kulbit and get on the chasers 6, truly wonderful aircraft... why i prefer my Eastern Block kit to western block...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JjNj3TWO_Q0&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JjNj3TWO_Q0&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Bone
July 25th, 2010, 10:11
to Fly Pugachevs Cobra or any intense manouvre in the Flanker series you must first disengage the AoA limiter and the G-Limiter, then the aircraft really gains life, it can (for a few seconds) fly backwards with enough entry speed, literally cobra onto it's back gain lock and fire or if you had a guy trying to go guns you can use it to Kulbit and get on the chasers 6, truly wonderful aircraft... why i prefer my Eastern Block kit to western block...

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/JjNj3TWO_Q0&hl=en_GB&fs=1 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Oh, what a machine. Maybe someday we can get a flightsim model that'll do all of that.

warchild
July 25th, 2010, 10:16
Oh, what a machine. Maybe someday we can get a flightsim model that'll do all of that.

been working on it for three years. I aint about to quit now :)..

Matt Wynn
July 25th, 2010, 10:33
been working on it for three years. I aint about to quit now :)..

am i still your test pilot there? :icon_lol: you know me and this thing Pam... it's a love affair if ever there was one...

warchild
July 25th, 2010, 11:36
you better believe you are ::lol;; sheesh.. no way i'm losing you dude.. i just gotta figure out why the accumulated maneuvers slowly take the planes behaviour into complete insanity.. i'm thinking its the joystick and i'll be getting a new one ( mechnical instead of digital ) in a week and a half and testing it out to se if it happens again. theres also a lot of isues with stability but again tht may be a joystick issue..

Matt Wynn
July 25th, 2010, 12:09
send over your latest and i'll see what i can do in the skies with the girl :salute: 'Smoothie' reporting for test flight duties... *pulls on international orange flight suit* i'm guessing what you can do will be simple compared to my flying, shame FS doesn't do backwards flight too well :(

peter12213
July 25th, 2010, 12:12
I can honestly say I believe its impossable to recreate the flight dynamics of the SU37 in fsx, the sim just can do it!

I bet that 33 pilot was fairly clenched when that happened on the original video!

warchild
July 25th, 2010, 12:20
i'm guessing what you can do will be simple compared to my flying, :(
::ROFLMAO:: ANNNNND the man tosses down the gauntlet ::LOL:: will do and get yoyu those files.. also have a little (little?? ) video i'm editing in a few minutes to show you where the girl is now.. :D

warchild
July 25th, 2010, 12:21
I can honestly say I believe its impossable to recreate the flight dynamics of the SU37 in fsx, the sim just can do it!

I bet that 33 pilot was fairly clenched when that happened on the original video!
I know "I" was when the one i'm working on did it in sim...
its not so much a matter of impossibility, its a matter of thinking outside the box in the right way, and therein lay the devil of all tricks..

Matt Wynn
July 25th, 2010, 12:22
you know me Pam.... :icon_lol: make sure the FDE has the AoA and G-Limiter set in OFF *demonic Laughter* the girl will never have had it so good, although i'm going to run up a hefty fuel bill, oh and i'll restart the paintkit also and get some JFTC colours onto her :salute:

Bjoern
July 25th, 2010, 12:58
Maybe someday we can get a flightsim model that'll do all of that.

Maybe with external sim-engine plugins...

If I wanted to do a Flanker, I'd choose the original Su-27UB. The single seater is just too ugly for my taste.

warchild
July 25th, 2010, 15:32
Maybe with external sim-engine plugins...

If I wanted to do a Flanker, I'd choose the original Su-27UB. The single seater is just too ugly for my taste.

I thought the same thing ( which is why its taken me three years ),, I was wrong..
I know this is cross posted but please watch. and please forgive my obvious lack of cinematic skills .. at least the music fits :)..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2weQFRBYw

Bjoern
July 25th, 2010, 16:11
I thought the same thing ( which is why its taken me three years ),, I was wrong..

Hmm...seems MSFS flight engine is much more capable than I thought.

Anyways, nice work Pam!

warchild
July 25th, 2010, 16:35
Thanks Bjoern.
to be honest, I think i'm fighting one of flight sims limitations. I wasnt sure until this very morning that it could be made to work. The main physics are... well, bizarre, and frustrating. Everything we think should be in an airplane, doesnt exist with this one. what does exist are the forces you find inside a storm cloud, and how to make that translate to an airplane is STILL a mystery to me. I feel like a first grader again..
I know many people will find this to be a physically ( and perhaps philosophically ) ugly plane, but the capabilities are in that design, and that design alone. form follows function. To me, because of that, this is maybe the most beautiful aircraft on the face of the earth. A true eagle amidst a bunch of birds. Now! Will someone please make an fsx native model of it for me to marry the completed flight model too?? Please??