PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Between Vista and XP Pro

ryanbatc
July 23rd, 2010, 09:07
READY TO PULL MY HAIR OUT!!!

ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Ok, so I'm trying to setup a program which runs on my smaller PC (runs XP Pro x86) which can connect to my main gaming rig (runs Vista x64), from now on I'm calling the small one "small" and my main rig "main."

I've gone through all the usual steps on both systems:

1) Firewall off
2) uac off on main
3) admin accounts on both system
4) simple sharing disabled on small
5) Both are connected to wired router, both IP's are 192.168.1.x (ie x=5 for small and 3 for main)

6)both are under WORKGROUP

And the really ******* annoying this is: some folders and files share no problems!!! ARGGH! My printer is connected to main and it shares with small and also my wife's laptop - zero issues....

I tried accessing test files from small on main - no joy. I tried the reverse - no joy. On small I get the usual annoying "you might not have permission" blah blah blah. On main "Windows cannot access...check the spelling of the name..."

Any guru's out there??? How can small see random files on main but main cannot access any files on small (except printer which is connected to main)

HELP??

n4gix
July 23rd, 2010, 10:27
You will need to set remote access permissions on BOTH main and small to allow each of them to share files and folders.

You need to set the permissions at the highest level folder, and can then have those same permissions apply to all of the sub-folders and files automatically.

In general you can share anything that is not system related, or contained within the ..\Program Files or ..\ProgramData folders.

ryanbatc
July 23rd, 2010, 10:37
In general you can share anything that is not system related, or contained within the ..\Program Files or ..\ProgramData folders.

Hmmm this could be my problem. While following the SB4 networked install it says to share your FSX directory and other data:

C:\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
X:\Microsft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X (your FSX folder)

I know other people have this working so there must be some way to do it.

How do I setup remote sharing?

modelr
July 23rd, 2010, 11:02
I'm having the same problem. I used to have three computers, all running XP, hooked together thru the same router I'm using now, all three had full permissions and access to each other. Now, I have a new Win 7 main machine, and a Vista Basic notebook small. The notebook has some access, but not total, to the main computer, while the main computer has NO access to the notebook. I can see both on my network, but I keep getting "No access permissions" errors, even tho I have set permissions on both, as well as permissions on drives and folders.

The printer is hardwired thru the router and is available to both. I'm flumixed.

ryanbatc
July 23rd, 2010, 11:59
The printer is hardwired thru the router and is available to both. I'm flumixed.

Yep ditto

I have like six different forum posts elsewhere in the internet world, one at anandtech - usually you can find some pretty savvy guru's there. So I'll let you know what I hear.

Milton Shupe
July 23rd, 2010, 14:08
Do you have permissions set on both the Sharing and Security tabs?

wingdinger
July 23rd, 2010, 14:17
After struggling for 2 days to network my FSX Win7 machine and my XP Home lappy so I could run AivlaSoft's electronic flight bag demo on the lappy, I came across the following in the comments section of one how-to. Worked like a charm. Seeing as how XP seems to be the bashful one, it might help a Vista user as well. From one "BIG JOE" :

"Tried all these options but it was only after a 1 hour 50 minute phone call with Microsoft Technical Dept that they found an answer. My Problem was that my Windows 7 PC could not access files or printers on my XP PC across a local area network (through a wired router).
Got error message saying “you don’t have authority to access XP PC – talk to Network Administrator”. I hope the following will help anyone with similar problems.
1. Make sure that both PCs are members of the same Workgroup – I called mine “WORKGROUP”.
2. Make sure that you share all the Folders and printers across all users on your network and check on the Permissions section of the Security Tab on the Sharing option that you have given access to “Everyone”.
3. Now this is Microsoft’s solution – you have to change one Registry entry on the XP PC.
4. Make a backup of your Registry before you start
5. On the XP PC Do Start/Run/regedit. Then do File/Export and save to your Desktop.
6 Now locate the following Registry entry:-
My Computer / HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa and change the Data Value of “RestrictAnonymous” to 0 (Zero).
7. Then save the new Registry.
8. Then Re-boot both PCs
9. Viewing the Network option using Windows Explorer on the Windows 7 PC and double clicking my XP PC, I could now see all my Shared Folders and Printers and following some of the instructions posted on this topic, I could even print to an old Mono Laser printer attached to the LPT1 port of the XP PC."

Hope this helps, Tom

ryanbatc
July 23rd, 2010, 16:18
After struggling for 2 days to network my FSX Win7 machine and my XP Home lappy so I could run AivlaSoft's electronic flight bag demo on the lappy, I came across the following in the comments section of one how-to. Worked like a charm. Seeing as how XP seems to be the bashful one, it might help a Vista user as well. From one "BIG JOE" :

"Tried all these options but it was only after a 1 hour 50 minute phone call with Microsoft Technical Dept that they found an answer. My Problem was that my Windows 7 PC could not access files or printers on my XP PC across a local area network (through a wired router).
Got error message saying “you don’t have authority to access XP PC – talk to Network Administrator”. I hope the following will help anyone with similar problems.
1. Make sure that both PCs are members of the same Workgroup – I called mine “WORKGROUP”.
2. Make sure that you share all the Folders and printers across all users on your network and check on the Permissions section of the Security Tab on the Sharing option that you have given access to “Everyone”.
3. Now this is Microsoft’s solution – you have to change one Registry entry on the XP PC.
4. Make a backup of your Registry before you start
5. On the XP PC Do Start/Run/regedit. Then do File/Export and save to your Desktop.
6 Now locate the following Registry entry:-
My Computer / HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Lsa and change the Data Value of “RestrictAnonymous” to 0 (Zero).
7. Then save the new Registry.
8. Then Re-boot both PCs
9. Viewing the Network option using Windows Explorer on the Windows 7 PC and double clicking my XP PC, I could now see all my Shared Folders and Printers and following some of the instructions posted on this topic, I could even print to an old Mono Laser printer attached to the LPT1 port of the XP PC."

Hope this helps, Tom

Already did all that but thanks for the try!

I can view all the folders on each computer... ie I can see all the shared folders from one PC stored on another PC but I just can't access some of them...