PDA

View Full Version : Retiring from flight sim

bushpilot
July 23rd, 2010, 09:03
Last week I uninstalled FSX. Yesterday I sold my copy of FSX. Now I'm trying to sell my joystick and throttle console. Guys, I'm going cold turkeyhttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon10.gif.

Some random personal thoughts:

In the last six months I've been thinking how strange this hobby has become to me personally. I've spent loads of money on addons I have no time to fly anymore. If I buy a new addon it will sit on my HD and collect dust. I don't remember when was the last time I completed a whole flight from start to finish. That's just crazy. I remember when I got to this hobby (FS2000) everything was cool and exciting. I remember the time of FS2002, when I first time sat on a VC. It was crappy VC by todays standards, but I've never been as excited as in the first flight in Cessna 172 VC over Hong Kong. I remember learning how to use autopilot. I remember my first succesfull ILS landing, which got me chills. Just don't get those vibes anymore, and I think it's a bit sad.

Anyways these days I get more pleasure sitting by the runway watching planes come and go.

Thanks to all the developers for making great addons, all enthusiastic virtual pilots for nice communities where I've spent countless hours. And thanks for everyone who has supported my painting hobby by making nice comments and downloading them.:salute:

I think it all was worth it, but now it's time to move on.

Cheers

(ps. the canopy, the darn canopyhttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon10.gif)

Deano
July 23rd, 2010, 09:09
Dear Mr Bushpilot, am I not able to convince you to stay in FS with all our latest products for free, surely that needs consideration.

"(ps. the canopy, the darn canopy)"

You must be thinking my same dreams :D

huub vink
July 23rd, 2010, 09:13
Hi Pekka, thanks for the company over the years and perhaps we'll meet again in the future.

Take care!
Huub

PS And you don't need to have a (combat)flightsim instaleed to visit this place once in a while.....;)

skyblazer3
July 23rd, 2010, 09:32
Pekka,

A decade of flight sim service is nothing to scoff at. Although I'm a new-comer here at SOH, it's been great reading your posts and trying to learn from your writings. I understand your feelings about the simulator. If it wasn't for the multiplayer component and being able to fly with such fine aircraft with such fine people I don't think I would hang around either. Best of luck in your future hobbies.
:salute::salute:

Chris Eells

hurricane3
July 23rd, 2010, 09:56
Although I haven't made my mind up for sure ,I have been thinking the same thing.I'am retired now and have the time but,I'am not a computer programer and don't want to be one.
I've put in hundereds of addon planes and scenery into all my flight sims but rarely fly,I
ve been flight simming since the old Commador 64 days( I know thats not spelled right),but now I'am overwhelmed by all the addon scenery and what I should use to make things more realistic and what is compatabel with what.
After putting all this work into the sims only to have an hd crash or corrupeted file mess up your whole sim or computer ,is it worth it?I'am still no better at landings that when I first started,maybe its me,maybe I wasn't cut out to be a sim Pliot ,maybe it's my joysick,I don't know.
And to back up everything to and external hd can be almost as daunting as starting from scratch.I have everything backed to CD but it would take months of work to replace every thing.
I was hopeing having the time to flight sim would help my depression but so far it hasn't.
I'am not saying for certain I'am giveing up but right now I'am very discouraged.
One thing I have found is that there are no finer people on earth than flightsimmers. People who will bend over back wards to help and give their time to help and make new planes and scenery.
I wish to thank all those who have taken their time to help me in the past. I may decide to hang in there and if I do you'll be hearing lots of questions from me again,but if not then break a leg,happy flying
:salute:

Nick C
July 23rd, 2010, 10:09
Going to miss your repaints Pekka, take care and drop by know and again to let us know what you're up to. :salute:

flyingip
July 23rd, 2010, 10:21
Think of us! And atleast I have a Royal Navy SkyRaider now :salute:

Chacha
July 23rd, 2010, 10:25
Pekka,

How I enjoyed your work...
Sad to see you go ...
Come and visit us more often on some days just to say hello..
You and all your paints will surely be missed!

~Chacha

ryanbatc
July 23rd, 2010, 10:25
Have fun!! Maybe try some real flying?

fsafranek
July 23rd, 2010, 10:49
Too late to ask now but what is the story behind the ice bound ship in your signature?

Have appreciated your participation over the years. Best of luck.
:ernae:

Lateral-G
July 23rd, 2010, 10:55
bushpilot,

Good luck with what ever your new hobbies may be.

I can certainly understand about the time aspect. I spend lots of time configuring the files for aircraft just the way I want, adding new skins, tweaking configs, etc. but a disproportionate amount of time actually flying the damn things.

Finding a solid block of time to sit in front of the sim and actually doing a COMPLETE flight is almost non-existent for me. There are too many other competing issues in a day for my time.

I still enjoy the flight sim, but like you the thrill seems to be gone these days.

-G-

Henry
July 23rd, 2010, 10:58
Dear Mr Bushpilot, am I not able to convince you to stay in FS with all our latest products for free, surely that needs consideration.

well ive bee thinking about the same
does that apply to me also:173go1:
in all seriousness i have been involved in this community
for close to 18 years
i have seen many talented people come and go in that time
all are always missed
so please come by and chat or you will be missed deeply
actually i have not fired up any flightsim myself
in the last 6 months either
but thats another story
appreciate your talent and your being:ernae:
H

AndyE1976
July 23rd, 2010, 11:04
Good luck bushpilot and thanks for all you've contributed.

I completely understand the addons vs actually flying thing, I find I'm buying or downloading aircraft and then giving them very little actual flight time. I'm trying to be more discerning in my purchases and spend more time enjoying the effort that went into these products and learning how to use them properly.

This afternoon I took the FCS Lancaster for a flight from Gandar intl - default FSX scenery and all and just headed north to BGBW, I think sometimes in the pursuit of the next greatest thing we forget what we have already and how good it actually is.

JorisVandenBerghe
July 23rd, 2010, 11:24
Good luck! I did the same in November last year...just like Panther, my main interest now is photography. Perhaps you could do the same and start taking pictures of airplanes ;) ?

Bone
July 23rd, 2010, 11:34
If you're going to retire, custom dictates that you'll get the Water Salute.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/0052714.jpg

Cleartheprop
July 23rd, 2010, 11:38
I am sad to read that. Your work will be missed.
But it is only a hobby... :wavey:

Lionheart
July 23rd, 2010, 11:40
We're going to miss you Pekka.

I too rarely finish a flight. I dont remember the last time I had a fun flight. It was just one, and the one before that was long ago. Mostly I just test and test, bend polys and bend polys. I cant stay away from it though. I take breaks so I dont burn out.

Please dont be a stranger. Come in once and a while at least and say hello....

Bill

gera
July 23rd, 2010, 11:45
Goodby amigo, thanks for the moments you shared with us. I believe its a question of diversity..

I have many hobbies and dedicate time to each one so I will not get bored with one. just look: Astronomy (10 inch telecope) 37 years,:solid wood model aircraft construction, 51 years:electric ho trains, 45 years, traveling 55 years: reading 60 years; flying 16 years then sold my Cherokee, computers since I graduated in 1968, women since I can remember( at least watching now!!) years, my wife 45 years, my grandsons (8) since 19 years ago, collecting old model magazines 40 years, Flight siming since the Commodore 64....how can I get bored with any of them??? No way!!!!!...itīs just a question of variety, I would probably triple these if I had 66 more years on line:wavey::wavey::wavey:!!!!......Bon Voyage.

Note: My two sons and one daughter are part of the baggage so they donīt count as hobbies.....they are my jewels and reason for life on the planet earth.

Mithrin
July 23rd, 2010, 12:02
I know how you feel, the sim has lost it's shine for me too. Yet as suggested you could always just lurk around here. I haven't been flying for a while either but I still like to check the boards.

Stay safe!

Sundog
July 23rd, 2010, 12:27
Happy trails, er airways to you!!!:salute:

wilycoyote4
July 23rd, 2010, 12:32
I agree with bone, water cannons salute (USAF photo), thanks for your work :applause:

bushpilot
July 23rd, 2010, 12:32
Hehe guys i gotta answer some questions:

Deano: You bet (the canopy thinghttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon10.gif), and thanks for the generous offer but it would be a crime to let those beasts collect dust.

fsafranek: Icebound ship is Icebreaker USS Atka. Just a beautiful picture. The pic is featured in the album cover of Rosenrot by German band Rammstein.

About my repaints: they will be still available, can be found here, avsim, aussiex, and all those hideous pay-per-download sites that illegally host them. Not gonna miss those sites.

About new hobbies; I have one and it's probably about as opposite as you can get from flying: divinghttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon10.gif

I'm sure I will be visiting here now and then. One of the coolest forums everhttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

Rattler
July 23rd, 2010, 13:00
Sometimes ya just gotta take time to Stop and Smell the roses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzZqje04vLE :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

roger-wilco-66
July 23rd, 2010, 13:21
I also did that a couple of times, but I always came back :wiggle:

If you do that, you're gonna have to skip FSX Solomon 1943, if I may add that. It is at about 90% and close to the second (and last) beta...

Cheers,
Mark

stansdds
July 23rd, 2010, 13:32
I've given up or nearly so on flight sims, but I always come back. I do try to keep my payware to a bare minimum and fortunately, with all the wonderful freeware that is now available, flight simming has become a relatively inexpensive hobby. I'm sorry to see you go, but if you change your mind, we will be here.

Cazzie
July 23rd, 2010, 13:33
Going to miss your work Pekka, but I can identify as for two years now, I have stepped away from the scale modeling arena. I just got burned out, but the ever increasing prices and the increasing output of expensive large 1/32 kits and very little output of inexpensive small 1/72 scale kits, my scale of choice.

Should you step back in this arena, I hope all of us are here to greet you. Stay tuned, lurk if you will, but have a healthy, prosperous life my friend. :ernae:

Bjoern
July 23rd, 2010, 13:40
Too late to ask now but what is the story behind the ice bound ship in your signature?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenrot

Good luck with whatever you're going to do now, Pekka! :ernae:

spotlope
July 23rd, 2010, 13:50
I'm sorry to see you go Pekka, but I understand what you mean. Even the best of hobbies can get stale after a while. Take some time off, and who knows... you might find yourself missing it one day.

Regardless, thanks for your contributions. It's been a pleasure knowing you, even if only online. ;)

OleBoy
July 23rd, 2010, 13:51
Pekka,
I have contemplated getting away from it myself. For one, it's a money pit that never fills. I swear I have a 1000 planes. Do I fly them all? NOPE. I used to spend my free time searching Avsim, Flightsim and every other site I could find for goodies. It was amazing what was there. I flew and tested every single one. Now, and for the most part they are collecting virtual dust on numerous disks and an external drive. I use to be heavy into repaints, modifications, tweaks and refinements that bettered the experience. What can I say, I enjoyed it. I was addicted!!
...Now, FSX has my attention. All the detail just pulls me in. In one word, AMAZING. Considering the time of year and the great outdoors opening it's arms wide and inviting me in, I stopped flight simming to shake natures hand once again. It's a beautiful place to escape reality. When summer is over I'll be simming once again and getting the best experience while flying in a virtual summer.

I don't know if I have any of your repaints, but I think it's absolutely possible I do. And, I thank you for all you have shared for me to enjoy.

Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest possibility. Because that's what life is all about.

Be well....be safe.....have fun!!

OleBoy

Fireball6
July 23rd, 2010, 14:20
All my best wishes for you pekka and many thanks for all your great repaints :ernae:

Dirk

jmig
July 23rd, 2010, 14:55
Pekka, I for one hope you eventually change your mind and come back. I find that I don't fly enough. I am always working on or dumping money into my cockpit.

However, when I have had the time to fly, I have often had special moments in which the line between simulation and real flying became so blurred, I felt I was back in the cockpit once again.

Any hobby can be a money pit. However, even if you bought just about every new add-on that came out you would approach a real airplane or boat. Nor would you come close to country club membership and golf.

Sascha66
July 23rd, 2010, 14:58
Hope you will return... one sunny day.

heywooood
July 23rd, 2010, 15:25
seen these a thousand times - trust me - ol' Pekka will reload FSX and there will be others who will say the same thing...

Naki
July 23rd, 2010, 16:02
All the best Pekka..love your NZ Tiger Moth repaints.