PDA

View Full Version : SF8 Engine Start Tutorial Video

skyblazer3
July 23rd, 2010, 06:39
Hello All,

Here is a short video on how to manually start the Section F8 F-86 Sabre in FSX. The real tutorial begins at 1 minute, 20 seconds. Before that point, it is shameless propaganda for the FSX Skyblazers aerobatic team. This start procedure does not follow the checklist 100%, but it is pretty close. This procedure will ensure that you have a properly functioning Sabre without engine fire or incident.

Here is the link to the video on our site where you can see it in slightly larger dimensions:
http://skyblazers.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=79

Here is an embed if you don't want to leave SOH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cowtk-hHTYo

Future videos will cover formation takeoffs, basic formation flight in the Sabre, and Formation landings.

Cheers,

Chris Eells:salute::salute:

modelr
July 23rd, 2010, 11:33
Well done, Chris.

Very informative. Looking forward to more.

Bone
July 23rd, 2010, 11:52
That was fun to watch. But, he forgot to give the Crew Chief the "disconnect external power" hand signal, lol. That was a nice touch, putting the yellow GPU in the tutorial. He probably pulled the chalks on the walk around, so I won't quible over that:)

falcon409
July 23rd, 2010, 12:05
Great video Chris. . .however, right off the bat I have a problem. As you mention in the video, the throttle is set at the idle position. No matter what I do, it will not go into detente for the off position. Using the mouse is convoluted enough because things don't always move in the direction you think they should when using a mouse, however I can drag the throttle down, but not right. Consequently the minute I get the RPM's moving at a sufficient rate I have the engine fire warning lights and horn going off which will not shut off until I reload the airplane.

You seem to have no problem setting the throttle, what's the secret? lol

skyblazer3
July 23rd, 2010, 12:20
Ed, that throttle can be frustrating! I guess what i forgot to mention in the video is that your physical throttle must also be at idle, and if you bump it at all before the engine start you will get the fire. You must keep your throttle at idle, and then click and drag the throttle down to cutoff. Then click and drag it outboard once you have about 15%RPM. After you get the start, you can either bump your physical throttle to get it up to idle, or advance the throttle around the horn with a mouse.

I don't like the mouse option, because, as you say, it does not always do what one would like. The fuel system for this Sabre is programed to the mixture controls, so I guess you could use key-board commands for mixture full, or mixture cut. I have the mixture set to an axis on my X52 throttle, and so that's what I use to start and stop the engine.

Let me know if you have any luck, if not I'll think about your situation some more. I flew with a guy once who had a lot of engine fires, and it turns out the resolution on his throttle was poor, and it was advancing up to idle without him realizing it, so he had to physically hold back his throttle until he had the start.

Best of luck,

Chris

falcon409
July 23rd, 2010, 18:38
Chris, the mixture could be it. I have a set of buttons on my CH Throttle that handle Mixture and it's possible that it's set somewhere in between. I won't get to check it til tomorrow probably because my granddaughter is here tonight and she has the computer for the evening. lol:salute: