PDA

View Full Version : Maam-Sim's upcoming Yellow Peril!

Tim-HH
July 20th, 2010, 06:40
Hi,

just take a look at these great pictures: >MAAM-SIM Goes Native FSX !< (http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=290097) :jump:

Greetings
Tim

mal998
July 20th, 2010, 06:50
Wow...what a beauty!

CybrSlydr
July 20th, 2010, 06:51
Well, I gotta say I'm disappointed they went with that for their first FSX plane.

A radial engined bi-plane?

Not my cup of tea...

Quicksand
July 20th, 2010, 06:55
One word....... WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

peter12213
July 20th, 2010, 07:01
Well, I gotta say I'm disappointed they went with that for their first FSX plane.

Not my cup of tea...

Agreed me too!

cheezyflier
July 20th, 2010, 07:01
and yet another model comes out before the native fsx briefing time that was promised how many years ago? cue the guy who will come in with some statement about how they're only so many guys who model part time, etc ad nauseum.

Ian Warren
July 20th, 2010, 07:16
This would have to show the best detailed engine ive seen in Flightsim ! :salute:

Edit : another look .. im sold !
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Bomber_12th
July 20th, 2010, 07:20
Well I am just ecstatic! Been craving a highly-detailed N3N since the first time I got into flight siming. It's great to see all of the attention to detail going into this aircraft!

Cleartheprop
July 20th, 2010, 07:22
Fabulous!

OleBoy
July 20th, 2010, 07:30
One word. WOW!!

I think the authenticity and realism is fantastic!!
...I think this is an excellent first model. Nothing wrong with a vintage era biplane. I recall more often then not more modern aircraft were getting developed/released and I was thinking the very same thing.

MAAM-SIM, very impressive. Can't wait to see more progress. :)

bkeske
July 20th, 2010, 07:48
Very nice indeed.

This last couple weeks I've been flying nothing but my various bi-planes (with the Auster A-IJ, Piglet's Mite, and ASA Cub thrown in), and have been having a fantastic time getting out of my modern aircraft and panels for a while...sans autopilot...I don't have any interest on flying modern stuff at this time, and have acquired a real re-appreciation for 'simple flying' once again.

So, right now, this sounds great to me, and cannot wait to get my hands on it....I'll patiently await their other offerings.

gera
July 20th, 2010, 07:50
Best detailed model I have seen in the last three years or more, a relic...the makers are absolute artists....Wow!!!!!

gera
July 20th, 2010, 07:51
Very nice indeed.

This last couple weeks I've been flying nothing but my various bi-planes (with the Auster A-IJ, Piglet's Mite, and ASA Cub thrown in), and have been having a fantastic time getting out of my modern aircraft and panels for a while...sans autopilot...I don't have any interest on flying modern stuff at this time, and have acquired a real re-appreciation for 'simple flying' once again.

So, right now, this sounds great to me, and cannot wait to get my hands on it....I'll patiently await their other offerings.

May I suggest you fly my last two missions with any biplane???.....thanks

gera
July 20th, 2010, 07:53
Agreed me too!

Sure is my cup of tea, chocolate and coffee!!!!...

italoc
July 20th, 2010, 07:56
I have no words ....... :jump::jump::jump:
Hurry up ..... cant wait :wiggle:
Magnificent quality, details, (ah ... the rivets :applause::applause:)
Italo

bkeske
July 20th, 2010, 07:58
May I suggest you fly my last two missions with any biplane???.....thanks

Thanks Gera, I do not typically fly missions...in fact, never have, but perhaps I'll check them out. Thanks for the heads-up.

PutPut
July 20th, 2010, 08:07

Not my cup of tea...

And What, pray tell, is wrong with a string bag with a round engine? :applause:

Paul

pbearsailor
July 20th, 2010, 08:18
This is my cup of tea, too. I really look forward to this. :salute:

A long long time ago, I had my first solo in a Cessna 150 when I had around 8.5 hours. My dad soloed in 1943 in a Stearman with almost exactly the same hour total. He had to be way better than I was.

-steve

gajit
July 20th, 2010, 09:06
And my cuppa as well. logged an hour P2 at Compton Abbas and loved it.

Snave
July 20th, 2010, 09:43

Not my cup of tea...

Whew! Thought I was the only one! :salute:

PRB
July 20th, 2010, 10:15
That cup of tea looks just fine to me! Fantastic. Can't wait for release.

Roger
July 20th, 2010, 10:26
Fabulous!!!

Helldiver
July 20th, 2010, 11:00
Of all the airplanes the Navy flew around us during the war, the N3-N was the most noticed since they were constantly flying low, making touch and goes at Beverly airport. It's just great that you people at MAAM are taking the time and effort to keep alive this great old bird. It's seldom indeed that someone puts the added effort to make an honest airplane. For those kids that don't appreciate a true aircraft, I'll leave them to their oil burners. But this is a true airplane in every sense of the word. Marvelous workmanship!

JAllen
July 20th, 2010, 11:24
As they said this is a project to break into FSX with. It will be a learning experience For the guys at MAAM. From the look of it this 'test bed' is a great indication of what we can expect when their B25 and C47 are released. I have all the aircraft MAAM has done for us and the N3N will not be an exception. WOW bring it on!

robcap
July 20th, 2010, 11:51
I know how much it takes to get this kind of detail into a model. And knowing Jan and Hansi, they will go through great lenghts, to present you a bar raising model in FSX.

Cheers, Rob

Ferry_vO
July 20th, 2010, 12:01
Looks excellent!

:applause: :jump: :ernae:

FAC257
July 20th, 2010, 14:47
The little local grass strip airport in town only has about 6 or so aircraft that are actually based out of the field.

This N3N is one of them. I've only seen it rolled out once a year during the annual breakfast fly-in. Normally it's tucked in the hanger right next to the owners home.

FAC

mikew
July 20th, 2010, 14:55
Magnificent! Exceedingly magnificent!

Mike

falcon409
July 20th, 2010, 15:03
The little local grass strip airport in town only has about 6 or so aircraft that are actually based out of the field.

This N3N is one of them. I've only seen it rolled out once a year during the annual breakfast fly-in. Normally it's tucked in the hanger right next to the owners home.

FAC
Yea, we had one in the hangar at the FBO I used to work for and it would sit in the corner for months on end collecting dust and pidgeon crap, lol. Then the owner would call from Dallas out of the blue and say he was on his way to fly for an hour or so and could we tow it out and get it ready? lol

The battery was dead, it needed a complete wash job and it was like 4 in the afternoon on a Friday and I was just leaving to go home, lol. . .sure, no problem, lol.

stansdds
July 20th, 2010, 15:11
Holy....... WOW!!!!

The detail!

When MAAM-SIM does something, they sure do it right!

Really looking forward to their FSX native B-25J. I know it's in the works and will be while, but if the N3N is any indication of how the FSX native B-25 will look... :jump:

MudMarine
July 20th, 2010, 15:12
My cup of tea is anything MAAM does because I know my money spent there is going to a outstanding cause! Bring it on MAAM!!:jump:

Milton Shupe
July 20th, 2010, 16:03
My cup of tea is anything MAAM does because I know my money spent there is going to a outstanding cause! Bring it on MAAM!!:jump:

Agreed! Right on. Excellent details and texture mapping and textures. Wow! I cannot imagine the work that went into all the details. Great job! :applause:

heywooood
July 20th, 2010, 16:32
count me in too...

a keystone of the foundation of US Naval aviation and a venerable beauty of a biplane

modelr
July 20th, 2010, 16:38
Beautiful. Count me in. :applause:

bkeske
July 20th, 2010, 17:04
Had time to really look through all the progress shots....man-o-man....this model is really incredible....sure to be a favorite in my hanger. May actually have to take this baby across country after it's release.

crashaz
July 20th, 2010, 18:01
Fantastic work!

A sure buy!!:wiggle:

Javis
July 21st, 2010, 06:14
Thanks, guys ! :salute:

Nice surprise seeing our first native FSX born being welcomed with such enthusiasm here at SOH. Thanks for the HU, Tim ! :)

Goes without saying that we understand it's not everyones' cup of tea but unlike the Kaydet and Tiger Moth the N3N has only been done once for an earlier FS version and like Helldiver also mentioned it still is a pretty iconic airplane particularly re the Navy ( thanks Bob :salute: ) and its been sitting there in the MAAM hangar for years winking at us.

On top of that we thought it would be a good exercise to get acquainted with all intricaties and possibillities that come with native FSX design. A comfortable breeding ground for rebuilding our DC-3, B-25 and Turkey so to speak.

Thanks once again for the nice comments, gents ! :)

On behalf of Maam-Sim,
Cheers,
Jan

italoc
July 21st, 2010, 06:15
I have purchased all MAAM's a/c (BT/DC3/TBM) but since DX10 they sit in a corner
Really looking forward to the next "native FSX" hoping it's DX10 compliant !!!!!
Anyway I'll get it when available :wiggle:
Italo

Javis
July 21st, 2010, 06:39
Really looking forward to the next "native FSX" hoping it's DX10 compliant !!!!!

Thanks, Italo, we'll sure look into that too. Up front, can you give a short description of the difference between DX9 and 10 when it comes to FSX... ?
Are there any other advantages over DX9 apart from VC shadows ?

Cheers,
Jan

mal998
July 21st, 2010, 06:48
There are lots of mixed reviews on DX10. Some see differences and many don't.

Unfortunately most of us can't or don't run DX10 because of all the anomalies that come along with it....i.e., flashing runways, missing afterburner effects, weird looking shadows, etc.

I would imagine at this point most are running DX9.

gera
July 21st, 2010, 11:44
I think someone left DX10 half done or a mixture between a burro and a camel...more or less.

Dexdoggy
July 21st, 2010, 13:41
That plane is a thing of real beauty!

falcon409
July 21st, 2010, 13:47
Thanks, Italo, we'll sure look into that too. Up front, can you give a short description of the difference between DX9 and 10 when it comes to FSX... ?
Cheers,
Jan
I'm with Mal998 and gera on this one Javis. . .there is no overall advantage to running DX10. I think it was blown way out of proportion when FSX was first released showing "doctored" screenshots of what DX10 was going to do for the sim. It never happened and probably never will, for this sim anyway. I know some use it, but as a whole, I'd say it's a dud.

Roger
July 21st, 2010, 13:51
If all the material used in the mdls is Fs10 then it will work in Dx10. VC shadowing only occurs in Dx10 but it isn't always successful so it's up to Jan if he decides to impliment it.

robert41
July 21st, 2010, 15:25
Great news. Looking forward to this.

modelr
July 21st, 2010, 16:26
I'm with Mal998 and gera on this one Javis. . .there is no overall advantage to running DX10. I think it was blown way out of proportion when FSX was first released showing "doctored" screenshots of what DX10 was going to do for the sim. It never happened and probably never will, for this sim anyway. I know some use it, but as a whole, I'd say it's a dud.

Windows 7 comes with DX11. Since I installed it when I built my new unit, I never used, saw DX10, so don't know the difference, but I like what I see on mine. Haven't had any troubles with any of the anomolies usually spoken about, yet.

italoc
July 22nd, 2010, 08:44

Cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan
mainly "no textures" (then flashing runways, sometime "strange" VC, .....)

Advantages ........ mmh ........ dont really know ...... to me it is just a matter of lazyness to clic the option, close the sim, reopen the sim to go from DX9 to DX10 an viceversa !!!!!:wiggle::wiggle:
Italo

Javis
July 22nd, 2010, 09:53
Ok, thanks for the DX10 story, guys. Never used it myself, i seem to understand that it doesn't work with XP which i am still using. I am lined up in sequence for a new system though which will run on W7 64. I understand now that this OS can handle DX10 as well as DX11 ?.....

I did see some video's comparing DX9 with DX10, a.o. DX10 water seems to look very nice indeed.

Btw, all material used with the N3N models is FSX so i suppose that'll take care of DX10 ( or DX11 ) compliance ( thanks, Roger :))

I will try VC shadows too of course but i haven't been that impressed with it mostly due to the jaggy edges i saw in a few videos... If only we could have internal shadowing like it's done in ROF... Wow!! :)

cheers,
Jan

robcap
July 22nd, 2010, 13:34
It seems when you compile your plane with the FSX SP2 SDK, it will be DX10 complient by default, whenyou follow the texture doctrine.
Cockpit shadows will work OK with an open cockpit, like with the N3N. When modelling a closed cockpit, it's a different story..... Don't know the details about that though. It seems all polys must be "closed", which I think means the interior model "outside" poly must be one part.

R.

italoc
July 23rd, 2010, 06:18
Ok, thanks for the DX10 story, guys. Never used it myself, i seem to understand that it doesn't work with XP which i am still using. I am lined up in sequence for a new system though which will run on W7 64. I understand now that this OS can handle DX10 as well as DX11 ?.....

I did see some video's comparing DX9 with DX10, a.o. DX10 water seems to look very nice indeed.

Btw, all material used with the N3N models is FSX so i suppose that'll take care of DX10 ( or DX11 ) compliance ( thanks, Roger :))

I will try VC shadows too of course but i haven't been that impressed with it mostly due to the jaggy edges i saw in a few videos... If only we could have internal shadowing like it's done in ROF... Wow!! :)

cheers,
Jan

Hi Jan
Just to let you know: I am running on W7-64 and all is OK !!!!
Let us know when your baby is ready to fly
Ciao
Italo

mal998
July 23rd, 2010, 06:41
For those who are running Vista 64 bit (I am), and have been downloading updated files from MS, you are most likely running DX11, as I am.

Warrant
July 23rd, 2010, 07:19
Looks great, but would have liked an FSX TBM Avenger more

SkippyBing
July 23rd, 2010, 07:50
Reference DX10, you have to choose the DX10 preview option to use it in FSX, no matter what OS you're using. Otherwise it'll still run as DX9, i.e. it won't use the new features available with DX10 (and therefore 11) even if the OS can handle it.

For the self shadowing all the objects have to be solid, i.e. you shouldn't delete polygons you can't see and thereby break the surface.

Personally I thought the self-shadowing is a bit too jagged, plus DX10 seems to introduce as many issues as it adds features so I still delete hidden polygons to make the model smaller.

The model's looking really good incidentally!

bazzar
July 23rd, 2010, 15:31
Lovely subject Jan and beautifully executed as always. My turn to be jealous...:salute:

Wouldn't worry about DX10, FSX doesn't really cope and as there are no foreseeable patches, it's only going to get worse!

Better to wait for the AH multi-commercial/combat, unlimited frame rate, unlimited detail sim we are releasing next week.....:running:

Javis
July 24th, 2010, 23:37
Cockpit shadows will work OK with an open cockpit, like with the N3N. When modelling a closed cockpit, it's a different story.....

Hey Rob, you mean with an open cockpit you *can* still remove poly's of VC parts that can't be seen ? ( i mean, there's hardly a VC part of which i did NOT remove superfluous poly's... )

Groeten,
Jan

Javis
July 24th, 2010, 23:41
Just to let you know: I am running on W7-64 and all is OK !!!!

Good to know, thanks! :salute:

Let us know when your baby is ready to fly

You bet! :)

Ciao,
Jan

Javis
July 24th, 2010, 23:54
For the self shadowing all the objects have to be solid, i.e. you shouldn't delete polygons you can't see and thereby break the surface.

Is that why we mostly see irky behaviour of external shadowing ?.... I often think an external model looks better without shadows...

The model's looking really good incidentally!

Thanks! :)

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
July 25th, 2010, 00:17
Lovely subject Jan and beautifully executed as always. My turn to be jealous...:salute:

Thanks, Bazz. ;)

Wouldn't worry about DX10, FSX doesn't really cope and as there are no foreseeable patches, it's only going to get worse!

Yes, too bad, huh.... good looking shadows can do a LOT for the feeling of 'being there', can't they... ( just stepped out of my NFS/Shift Reventon to let out some build up steam. The shadowing in these NFS/Shift car cockpits looks truly amazing! :icon_eek: )

Do your BOB planes support VC shadowing, Barry ?

Better to wait for the AH multi-commercial/combat, unlimited frame rate, unlimited detail sim we are releasing next week.....:running:

Alright! Looking forward to that !! :d

Cheers.
Jan