PDA

View Full Version : Nhancer dead for now

Headwind
July 18th, 2010, 10:45
I was wondering what some of you might be doing at this point to eliminate the jaggies if you have installed the newest drivers for your nvidia card since nhancer will not work with the new drivers?

Using the nvidia control panel I cannot seem to get rid of all the jaggies no matter the setting. In game settings only, enhanced, or overwritten all seem to produce the same thing from 2x to 16xQ.

papab
July 18th, 2010, 10:58
I am staying with 197.45 drivers and the 2.5.9 Nhancer...
Works great! No jaggies!

Rick

falcon409
July 18th, 2010, 11:02
Honestly, I used NHancer for over a year and then quit using it because I found that after all the tweaking and setting everything according to Nick's tutorial, in the end. . .I got the same results by setting the sliders where I got the best out of my card and leaving everything alone and just enjoying the experience.:salute:

Alan_A
July 18th, 2010, 11:04
The best solution I've found is Nick Needham's, as posted in this thread (http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=34873&title=nhancer-for-25715-and-25721-updated).

It takes some experimentation - Nick recommends the 8xS settings but I found I had jaggies until I applied the 16xS profile.

Follow the instructions and see how it works for you.

Also - I understand NHancer 2.6 is in the works and it'll work with the new (257 series) drivers. So the NickN profile should be a temporary workaround.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: FAC257 - great minds, excellent timing!

FAC257
July 18th, 2010, 11:04
Headwind

I made the switch to the new Nvidia 257.21 drivers on my old 8800GTSOC vid card.

Using the the GeForce Profile Tool and the "C8xS" profile with these drivers I'm getting the same quality image that I was using my older drivers and Nhancer.

I just followed NickN's instructions:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=34873&title=nhancer-for-25715-and-25721-updated

The one set of aircraft that I can always use as a test for AA jaggies are the RealAir Tail Draggers. Unless I had Nhancer installed there was nothing I could do to get non-jaggy stripes on those aircraft.

Now with the 257.21 drivers and the Profile Tool, I'm getting the same quality of AA on those aircraft but without having to use Nhancer.

I'm into the second day of flying using the 257s + Profile Tool without Nhancer and so far I haven't run into anything I don't like.

FAC

Edit: Sorry Alan, we were posting at the same time. :)

Dain Arns
July 18th, 2010, 12:22
Honestly, I used NHancer for over a year and then quit using it because I found that after all the tweaking and setting everything according to Nick's tutorial, in the end. . .I got the same results by setting the sliders where I got the best out of my card and leaving everything alone and just enjoying the experience.:salute:

Same here.
Ripped it out after switching over to Jesus Altuve's FSX tweak.
I suppose for other games it might be useful.

Bjoern
July 19th, 2010, 10:59
I suppose for other games it might be useful.

Yep, it is.

I find the NVidia control panel way too user-unfriendly. NHancer is way better in that regard.

stansdds
July 19th, 2010, 12:12
I agree, Nhancer makes adjusting the video settings far easier, but I've wondered if using it slows the computer as it is basically overriding the settings in the Nvidia driver.

Bone
July 19th, 2010, 14:09
I used Nhancer for awhile, but it was just another fancy program that didn't do anything I couldn't otherwise do. Deleted because I don't do FLUFF.

Gizmo
July 20th, 2010, 04:20
Headwind

The one set of aircraft that I can always use as a test for AA jaggies are the RealAir Tail Draggers. Unless I had Nhancer installed there was nothing I could do to get non-jaggy stripes on those aircraft.

Hi Headwind

The reason you have jaggy strippes on the real air draggers is because non of there paint schemes are Mip Mapped,which forces FSX to load there full 1024 textures no matter what viewing distance you use,8xCSAA helps a little but to remove them totally you'll need to mipmap the dds files

Resaving them with DXTBMP (http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm)/NV's PS plugin or running them through imagetool using either programs mipmapping option will fix them up nice :)

Heres 2 compare shots so you can see the effects non mipped vs re-mipped schemes (both shots are with nv's standard MS8xAA) so if you find your fav schemes on various aircraft have jaggy lines no matter the lvl of AA your forcing check that they've been mipmapped because 99% of the time you'll find they havent ;)

laters Gizmo

gera
July 20th, 2010, 08:02
I used Nhancer for awhile, but it was just another fancy program that didn't do anything I couldn't otherwise do. Deleted because I don't do FLUFF.

Idem!!!!