PDA

View Full Version : Carenado 182RG Paint Kit

falcon409
July 18th, 2010, 08:17
Is anyone aware of a "real" paint kit for this airplane? I downloaded the one from the website, but it's just a set of blanks which are fine if you're doing simple stripe designs, but for full color changes to the fuselage and wings it's worthless. What I'm looking for is a layered paint kit.

Lionheart
July 18th, 2010, 12:13
Is anyone aware of a "real" paint kit for this airplane? I downloaded the one from the website, but it's just a set of blanks which are fine if you're doing simple stripe designs, but for full color changes to the fuselage and wings it's worthless. What I'm looking for is a layered paint kit.

Ed,

Can you email them and see if you can get the layered version? Find out who did the graphics painting. It was probably Dimitri. See if you can email him directly and get the layered versions.

However, now that I think about it, if they were texture baked on the outside, (which they shouldnt be, but what if) then it may not be a layered version that the factory (Carenado) worked with to begin with.

Bill

falcon409
July 18th, 2010, 12:23
E-mail sent Bill!

I've already started a layered kit on my own in anticipation that one wouldn't be available. By the time I get an answer it should be done so one way or the other I'll have a kit to work from.:salute:

Dimus
July 18th, 2010, 12:26
Falcon, to my experience there is no layered paintkit available for Carenado planes, just the blank white one, which I have used for the 152 and 172. Moreover, several sections are mirrored which is a major PITA if you have items in the paint that need to be different right and left or if the registration number does not fit in the tiny little space Carenado has allowd for for the starboard side.

Otherwise I thing that the white base they are offering is quite good and you can work easily on top of it adding colour in layers, even large areas of it, using the "Multiply" option (at least that is what I use in photoshop). You also need to be careful in aligning lines, if any between front and aft sections.

Good luck with it and looking forward to your repaints.

falcon409
July 18th, 2010, 12:51
Falcon, to my experience there is no layered paintkit available for Carenado planes, just the blank white one, which I have used for the 152 and 172. Moreover, several sections are mirrored which is a major PITA if you have items in the paint that need to be different right and left or if the registration number does not fit in the tiny little space Carenado has allowd for for the starboard side.

Otherwise I thing that the white base they are offering is quite good and you can work easily on top of it adding colour in layers, even large areas of it, using the "Multiply" option (at least that is what I use in photoshop). You also need to be careful in aligning lines, if any between front and aft sections.

Good luck with it and looking forward to your repaints.
Thanks Dimus,
Below is an image of the livery I'm doing, which is the Nevada State Police "Cruiser". As you can see, using the "multiply" option won't work here as the base paint color is very dark. I need the rivets and lines to lay on top of this and not underneath as in a flat layer.

falcon409
July 18th, 2010, 15:29
Well, this sucks, lol. The main focus of this livery is the very cool Nevada State Police Logo and striping on the vertical stab. . . .which, because of the way the textures are made, won't work as they only have a single texture for both sides of the stab. . .brilliant.:rocket::banghead:

falcon409
July 18th, 2010, 19:51
I did get a quick reply from Carenado concerning the paint kit and they sent along this link:
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=283391&hl=tutorial
This is an excellent video done by Bill Womack showing how to make the best of blank texture paint kits where no layering is available. So anyone who has Photoshop will benefit from this video tutorial. . . .however I don't use Photoshop, I use Paint Shop Pro, lol. The one function he uses to "burn" the color onto the blank in order to show the underlying rivets and lines. . .doesn't work the same way in PSP.

Anyway, I've built my own layered kit and am moving ahead with the livery. I also found a way to get around the odd practice of mapping everything with it's own texture except the vertical stab, thus making it impossible to do anything other than graphics on the tail. . .nothing that's "right reading" because it won't be on the opposite side.:banghead:

Dimus
July 19th, 2010, 01:17
I have seen this video falcon and followed some of his suggestions.

That livery is great but I don't think that the registration it will fit in the space reserved by Carenado for the stbd side. Also you will probably not be able to put the "Highway Partol" sign on the nose as it will show mirrored on the other side.

Good luck with it, I'd love to see the end result.

AckAck
July 19th, 2010, 06:42
I think you can also use multiply on the original layer to get the rivets and shadows - make it the top layer above your paint layer, then multiply the rivet layer. Conversely, you can invert the original layer, and screen it to make the rivets lighter...

To me, that works better than multiplying the paint layer, which results in color changes, etc.

BRian

falcon409
July 20th, 2010, 11:17
I have seen this video falcon and followed some of his suggestions.
That livery is great but I don't think that the registration it will fit in the space reserved by Carenado for the stbd side. Also you will probably not be able to put the "Highway Partol" sign on the nose as it will show mirrored on the other side.
Good luck with it, I'd love to see the end result.
Hi Dimus. . .well I've trashed the repaint. It surprises me in a way that a really nice payware airplane like the 182RG and a company with the decent reputation that Carenado has would do such a poor job of mapping textures. I realize that Cessna (for one) lacks a lot of creativity in their liveries. . .after all, the toughest thing their paint shop has to worry about is what color to make those two stripes "this time", lol. Even with that, a correctly mapped texture set would be a nice incentive for repainters to go to work and come up with some really nice liveries. This "blank Texture" idea is for the birds.:salute:

JoeW
July 20th, 2010, 11:41
I have run into this also .................

It's best I keep my trap shut ...................
:running:

falcon409
July 20th, 2010, 11:46
I have run into this also .................It's best I keep my trap shut ...................:running:
I'm just venting is all Joe, lol. Not like I'll quit flying the plane cause I can't do a decent repaint, but it is frustrating.

Dimus
July 21st, 2010, 03:08
Hi Dimus. . .well I've trashed the repaint. It surprises me in a way that a really nice payware airplane like the 182RG and a company with the decent reputation that Carenado has would do such a poor job of mapping textures. I realize that Cessna (for one) lacks a lot of creativity in their liveries. . .after all, the toughest thing their paint shop has to worry about is what color to make those two stripes "this time", lol. Even with that, a correctly mapped texture set would be a nice incentive for repainters to go to work and come up with some really nice liveries. This "blank Texture" idea is for the birds.:salute:

I am mostly frustrated by the fact that the textures are mirrored. If they could provide different port and starboard sides for wings and fuselage I would be OK. I believe they did that with their latest releases.

spotlope
July 21st, 2010, 06:22
They seem to be learning with each release, and like Dimus said, the latest releases are vastly more paintable. The 185 and Bonanza have almost no mirrored textures, so that shows they're moving in the right direction.

OleBoy
July 21st, 2010, 19:03
I also wanted to do a repaint or two for the Carenado C185. But the blank texture sets are (being polite) for the birds. I just don't understand how such a beautifully modeled aircraft can have the limitations, limited. There are literally hundreds of great schemes that I'd love to see available. But as Falcon says, the layered kit has to be made piece by piece. Not to mention that the texture sets are just a dissected mess. I'm not criticizing the models one iota. They are top notch.

Alky
July 22nd, 2010, 12:15
When I do a blank Carenado texture, I cut away the white fuselage parts from all the hardware, gear etc. and make it a seperate layer. this is what it looks like in layers...
1) hardware layer
2) White fuselage parts (multiply format)
3) paint on this layer and add additional layers for stripes logos or whatever.
4) Off white or some other color as a background so you can distinguish layer 2

Cutting away the fuse can be a bit tedious, but with the above you have your layered paint kit :)

kilo delta
July 22nd, 2010, 16:18
When I do a blank Carenado texture, I cut away the white fuselage parts from all the hardware, gear etc. and make it a seperate layer. this is what it looks like in layers...
1) hardware layer
2) White fuselage parts (multiply format)
3) paint on this layer and add additional layers for stripes logos or whatever.
4) Off white or some other color as a background so you can distinguish layer 2

Cutting away the fuse can be a bit tedious, but with the above you have your layered paint kit :)

Care to share yours? Which models? :)

falcon409
July 22nd, 2010, 17:55
As mentioned early on in my thread, I built a layered paint kit with individual layers for rivets, panel lines and shadows, the problem with "multiply, is that in many cases it changes the color to something other than what you want and unfortunately the "burn" option that I observed in Bill's tutorial does not always work. At any rate, the 182RG was mapped in such a way that aside from trading stripe colors and only adding "N" numbers in a very limited area, it's not worth painting really.:salute: