PDA

View Full Version : Which add-ons go on which drive ?

Paul K
July 18th, 2010, 02:39
I've been asking this on a couple of flight sim forums, and no doubt there is a wealth of expertise and experience here too...

I'm about to do a complete reinstallation of FSX and all the associated scenery add-ons. I have a dedicated drive for FSX, D: ( a 300GB Velociraptor ) in addition to my normal 600GB OS drive C:

My question is...should I put my scenery add-ons on the FSX D: drive, or can they go on C: without any framerate / loading time impact on FSX ?

Here's the scenery add-ons I have:

Horizonsim Generation X Version 2 VFR Photographic Scenery

VFR London

Megascenery Las Vegas and Honolulu - Oahu

Additionally there are some small items of freeware scenery, such as Dave Garwood's Duxford and Mike Dalgleish's St Kilda

Any help, hints and tips gratefully received. REX, FTX, GEX and many other X's are in the pipeline, so advice on where I install them would also be welcome.

AndyE1976
July 18th, 2010, 11:55
I have mine setup with FSX and the aircraft on my OS drive (C:) and I have a 1tb drive for scenery as it tends to be quite large.

My future setup will have 3x 300gb velociraptors in RAID0 for scenery to improve load times and possibly a fourth (or an SSD) for FSX (which may also be put into the same RAID array).

For your setup I'd probably put FSX and the scenery on your 300gb drive, that way you are not having FSX compete with the OS swap file access.

stiz
July 27th, 2010, 05:25
i've found that as long as you use internal pluged HDs and not external USB ones you shouldnt see any hit in load times etc :)