PDA

View Full Version : Australian Pilot Chatter Version 1 is Released

erufle
July 17th, 2010, 09:54
Well it's done but not perfected. Now you can have a complete Australian install in CFS2. About 2/3 of the scripts we recorded arevery good, but another 1/3 of them need to be replaced because they are too long or I just can't get them to sound right. You have to understand that there is very limited space in a gvr file and you've got to play with the recordings awhile to get them to sound like they are coming from a radio. That's why I'm calling it version 1. It will be re-released after I do some more editing. Please listen to the recordings with Martin Wright's SplitGVR (of course, you can install the files and fly the sim, DUH!!!) and let me know what needs fixed, but only if you have a great Australian accent and don't mind doing some recording for me. And please, be kind to me trio of mates what did the recordings; RC Tony, and Matt. :wavey::wavey::wavey: Which reminds me, if any of you guys have been holding back some of the recordings get them sent to me right away so I can start work on version 2. You never know, what sounds bad to you may sound delightful to us Yanks.

If you are wondering why I did not wait until everything was perfect before releasing, you must understand that these language packs are a community project. I sent out the first recording assignments (last fall?) and things seemed to take off. Many people volunteered, but stuff happened. Some people found their recording equipment didn't work as well as they thought, others had computer failures, and yet others had health issues. Still, thanks to all who volunteered even if it did not work out. My point is, many of you Aussies might think it is too late and this is a done deal, but it's not. I am only 67% happy with version 1. I got permission from Franz Von baron to use some of his English scripts if I needed, but I think most of us Yanks can tell the difference between a Brit and an Aussie. Therefore, the only way to get the other 34% up to snuff is to have all you Aussies try it out and hear for yourself. After hearing some scripts you will think "That was cool!" and after others you'll say "Man, a Yank could have done better than that!" Well, if you can do better have at it. Listen to this package for a while and when you hear a bad script, write it down, re-record it as a wave file on your computer (actually I can find a converter for almost any sound file), and send me a PM. If I can edit your file into a gvr file and have it sound better, I'll see to it your voice will be forever enshrined in the CFS2 Add-On Hall of Fame (which is just the SOH file bank). Come on men! Don't be shy. There is a lot of editing involved and I can probably make your voice sound great. Just show me some decent acting and I'll make you a STAR!

Rami
July 17th, 2010, 10:04
When I get back from my trip, I will put these to work. Thanks a lot! :ernae:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=48&linkid=2272

Jagdflieger
July 17th, 2010, 12:42
Thanks mate!

mariereid
July 17th, 2010, 13:58
Good on ya, cobber!:salute:

sc7500
July 17th, 2010, 14:19
MOST EXCELLENT !

Thank You !
SC
:kilroy:

PSULLYKEYS
July 18th, 2010, 07:53
Good Stuff! Thanks!:salute:

dhasdell
July 22nd, 2010, 03:19
Great. Just two thoughts:

(i) "Affirmative" text doesn't give me a sound

(ii) Am I right that setting the aircraft allegiance in the dp file to 10 will give these sounds in QC as well as in missions? If so, it might be worth mentioning in the readme

:wavey:

erufle
July 24th, 2010, 04:03
I am sorry that its been a week since I uploaded and I have not had the chance to check back with you guys. I spent so much time putting the last minute touches on it and uploading last Saturday that I got a little behind on my household duties (real life can inhale vigorously).

Great. Just two thoughts:

(i) "Affirmative" text doesn't give me a sound

(ii) Am I right that setting the aircraft allegiance in the dp file to 10 will give these sounds in QC as well as in missions? If so, it might be worth mentioning in the readme
:wavey:

(i) Well, all I can tell you is I get the sound when I play he game and when I use SplitGVR to hear it. But the phrase has been changed to "Righty-Oh". That's an example of the kind of liberties a good CFS2 actor should take in order to give it that distinctive Australian sound. The reason I want to redo this add-on is that I want to hear MORE of that kind of language. I really want the phrase to stand out when compared to USA or BRI radio chatter. I hope that is not somehow offensive to my Australian mates, but in my opinion, when you record a language pack that is really just another English dialect people want to hear the phrases that make that dialect stand out.

Are you hearing "righty-oh"? Are you listening for it in the game or are you using SplitGVR. If you are not using SplitGVR go to Martin Wright's website and get it (http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/ (http://www.btinternet.com/%7Emnwright/)). If you hear it when using SplitGVR it is probably not the gvr file that is the problem. Is anybody else having this problem? There is always the chance something got lost in the upload. If so, I can try another upload. Please let me know if you still cannot resolve this issue. Meanwhile, I will download the file and install it in place of my original gvr files to see if all works well after being loaded up and down.

(ii) Yes, you are correct about changing the DP file allegiance in order to hear pilot chatter from that country in quick combat. However, I am pretty sure that the allegiances set forth in the mission and campaign files determine what country you hear. I just tried it with my p-40e. I set the DP allegiance to 10, which is Australia. I then flew a quick combat mission and heard Australian voices. But when I flew the same plane in a USA mission and a USA campaign mission I heard only American voices. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Another thing that I may not have mentioned in the read-me is that you can change the default country in all campaigns to Australian by changing the first entry in the country.cfg file to 10.
Like this:

[defaults]
country=10 ¬change this number from 3 (the default USA) to 10 (Australia)

[alliance.0]
name=Allies
country.0=1
country.1=3
country.2=5
country.3=7
country.4=9
country.5=10
country.6=11
country.7=13
country.8=14
country.9=17
country.10=18

[alliance.1]
name=Axis
country.0=2
country.1=4
country.2=6
country.3=8
country.4=12
country.5=15
country.6=16
country.7=19

All this really does is take you directly to the Australian campaign page when you hit the campaign button. This is convenient if you are Australian and want to fly most of your campaigns as such, or if you have many installs and name them according to the country or region you do most of your fighting in. I kind of do it this way.

Another thing that is left out are the bearing calls. When Dandolo and I made the Italian package the bearing recordings kept running together and I could never find a fix. So, to save time, I did not try to record them on either the French package or this one. It just occurred to me that since all this is really English I should have tried to leave the American recordings in and worked around them. Might be a copyright problem there but I doubt it. I could have also used FVB's English gvr file as a template and worked around them. I have permission from FVB to use his files as I see fit. However, that would have caused problems with the size of many other recordings. This is kind of difficult to explain but if anybody has any suggestions regarding this matter please speak up.

I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM ANY OF YOU AUSSIES WITH THAT HEAVY ACCENT I AM LOOKING FOR!!!!!!! I am serious about upgrading some of the recordings. Please, play the game (or use SplitGVR) and make notes when you hear a rather bland recording. I WANT TO IMPROVE THEM!!!!!

Please guys, get it installed and give me some feedback. And please, volunteer to help on this community project if you can. It is of decent quality now but could be much better.

erufle
July 24th, 2010, 04:26
I will try to be on Skype for an hour or two this morning (Saturday) starting at about 8:00 AM central time USA. :wavey:

langereis
July 30th, 2010, 03:45
Hi All,

Ti Loup's missions (as part of his campaign) here at SOH
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Ti Loup&ammm=15&pap=2

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Ti Loup&ammm=15&pap=3

are still my favourite with his splendid radio chatter/flight instructions, very extended scenery (never seen before in CFS2), detailed maps, personnel.

I was wondering if somebody is familiair how to change this campaign in an Australian one with the Austalian Pilot Chatter.

:salute:

R C CAWTE
July 30th, 2010, 03:56
The only way i can think of off hand to change them to Aussie would be to open them in Mission builder ,and change them there.But i will warn you that some missions with non linear properties can be a problem with this method.

Finn
July 31st, 2010, 08:04
Hi All,

Ti Loup's missions (as part of his campaign) here at SOH
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Ti Loup&ammm=15&pap=2

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Ti Loup&ammm=15&pap=3

are still my favourite with his splendid radio chatter/flight instructions, very extended scenery (never seen before in CFS2), detailed maps, personnel.

I was wondering if somebody is familiair how to change this campaign in an Australian one with the Austalian Pilot Chatter.

:salute: There seem to be a problem with the hint you give for TI's missions. When clicking them I get to the archive, where I can click again for TI's work - and then only a "NO FILE FOUND" Finn

erufle
July 31st, 2010, 08:20
While I have not flown the TL campaign myself the conversion seems to be a pretty easy one, but you cannot change all of the voices. If you still want to do it, follow the directios below after installing Australian Chatter.

1. Open the country.cfg file in the main CFS2 folder using notepad or wordpad.
2. Scroll down to country #3, which looks like this:

[country.3]
name=USA
short_name=USA ¬ 3. Change the part in red to read AUS. It should look like step 4 below:
nationality=American
heading=oclock
award_scores=1, 3, 5, 15, 35
award_names=
award_images=merit.bmp, air.bmp, *, flying.bmp, services.bmp
award_prefix_large=medal_amer_lrg_
award_prefix_small=medal_amer_sm_

[country.3]
name=USA
short_name=AUS
nationality=American
heading=oclock
award_scores=1, 3, 5, 15, 35
award_names=
award_images=merit.bmp, air.bmp, *, flying.bmp, services.bmp
award_prefix_large=medal_amer_lrg_
award_prefix_small=medal_amer_sm_

5. Save changes to country.cfg file.

Now, you must realize that what you have done is to change the American voice to that of an Aussie. When you are done with TL's campaign you must remember to change it back. You must also realize that the only thing you have changed is the pilot chatter that is found in the following folder: CFS2/SOUND/Radio. Much of what you hear in TL's campaign are wave files that he recorded special for each mission. These files, which are placed in the folder CFS2/SOUND/Action, should be played in addition to the pilot chatter. Now, I only looked at one of TL's missions. I am taking it for granted that the default country for all his missions is USA. If I am wrong somebody speak up.

Get your Australian Chatter up and running, and then if you still want to do it, make the changes I outlined above and let me know if you need more help. There could be other things about Ti Loup's campaign that will prevent it from working that I just don't know about.

langereis
August 3rd, 2010, 05:19
Finn,

They are in Warbird's Archive, Choose Author's Name-Archive Library (not in the second one).

Choose Ti Loup (pages 2 and 3)

Kind regards,
:jump:

langereis
August 3rd, 2010, 05:20
Erufle,

Thank you very much for your efforts!

:salute: