PDA

View Full Version : Waco Classics

MarkH
July 17th, 2010, 09:28
Okay, I'm not going to put the Discovery Channel out of business, but this is my own little weekly series :)

Di1hO_07wtA

skyblazer3
July 17th, 2010, 09:52
Bravo Sir! You have something very special here. I look forward to seeing the entire series. This is first class work and I will be sending links of this to all my buddies.

Cheers,

Chris Eells

spotlope
July 17th, 2010, 10:42
Another excellent video. I appreciate the level of background you provide for the various aircraft. The animal noises were a nice touch, too. :)

HighGround22
July 17th, 2010, 10:58
Yeah, I'm with Chris, and with knobs on! That was first-class education and entertainment, Mark! Very much looking forward to the remainder.

jstanbro
July 17th, 2010, 13:10
I found your video to be very interesting and well done, and I'm certainly looking forward to the next one!

Thanks,
Jerry

MarkH
July 23rd, 2010, 09:27
(Click through to YouTube for HD versions.)

N5mdRX0A2NA

skyblazer3
July 23rd, 2010, 10:20
Can anyone else see part 2? I can't access it through SOH, and I can't find it on youtube...... this is too tempting!

I'm sure it is a great video, I'll give you a kudos before i've even seen it:
:ernae:

Chris

robcap
July 23rd, 2010, 10:38
I can see it, and it's great.
Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers, R.

MarkH
July 23rd, 2010, 10:59
Can anyone else see part 2? I can't access it through SOH, and I can't find it on youtube...... this is too tempting!

Try clicking this if still no-go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5mdRX0A2NA

Javis
July 23rd, 2010, 11:08
Wonderful videos, Mark ! :applause::ernae::applause:

"Top Flight" would be a good name for your series. Your narration reminds me very much of Top Gear's James May ( if i may.... ) I can see the faces of his friends Clarkson and Hammond before me... :d

Great choice of subject, adorable little aircraft. If i wouldn't have bought 'em already i sure would've now.

Thanks again and i'm looking forward to the follow up !

Oh, yes, no problem viewing Part 2 here, Chris....

Cheers,
Jan

MarkH
July 23rd, 2010, 11:43
Top Gear's James May

Holy cow, I think he's a bit posher than me! Dunno if you're in the UK, but his 'toy stories' series was great too - especially the first episode where he had some kids building a 1:1 scale Airfix spitfire.

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

(P.S. Doh! I just got the 'Top Flight' / 'Top Gear' connection. Sorry, I'm a bit slow :) )

Naismith
July 23rd, 2010, 11:57
What a pleasure to hear someone who has a deep knowledge and love of his subject. I would love to see more of this kind of thing. Educational and interesting.
Evidence of his complete knowledge of his subject is the complete lack of "errrr" and "ummmm" in his commentary.

heywooood
July 23rd, 2010, 15:19
I have the Waco Classics from Golden Age...where can I get those repaints?

Javis
July 23rd, 2010, 18:45
Holy cow, I think he's a bit posher than me! Dunno if you're in the UK, but his 'toy stories' series was great too - especially the first episode where he had some kids building a 1:1 scale Airfix spitfire.

Oh, yes ! Wasn't that just great ! :)

I think i saw all episodes, loved them all ( i'm from Holland but i watch more BBC than what we have overhere. ) I also saw him taking a flight in a U2. Fantastic ! :)

I was not kidding, Mark, your voice and the way you speak reminds me very much of James. Hope you don't feel offended, i ment it in the most possitive sense. Love Top Gear !

(P.S. Doh! I just got the 'Top Flight' / 'Top Gear' connection. Sorry, I'm a bit slow :) )

See, i was right.... Captain Slow ! :mixedsmi:

Looking forward to your next video !

Cheers,
Jan

MarkH
July 23rd, 2010, 23:12
I have the Waco Classics from Golden Age...where can I get those repaints?

If you're talking about the aircraft in the video, they're all stock paints. Maybe you have the old (now free) FS9 Taperwing package? They're different aircraft, so the paints won't be compatible.

MarkH
July 23rd, 2010, 23:16
Love Top Gear !

I used to be a Top Gear fan back when it was a serious program (Quentin, Tiff, even William Woollard), but they still have their moments. I will be tuning in this weekend as they have Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz on the 'Star in a reasonably-priced car' spot! I look forward to Clarkson v Cruise...

res non verba
July 24th, 2010, 03:57
Wonderful videos!!! very well done! Thanks!

:ernae:

MarkH
July 30th, 2010, 09:27
(Click through to YouTube for HD versions.)

ThZQsO0P4S4

bkeske
July 31st, 2010, 15:44
Great stuff Mark.

Interesting enough, I have been flying primarily biplanes the last month, not sure why exactly, it is the first time I have ever done this regularly in over 15 years of simming, but I gotta tell'ya, I'm enjoying it thoroughly, and the WACO Classic aircraft are getting their very fair share of stick time. I have really enjoyed getting to know each and every one of these models allot better....but truth be told, the newer GA Stearman is also really something special, and IMO a 'cut above' the Classic series overall. All great fun, and I have no ambition to get in anything 'modern' right now....perhaps I'm becoming hooked on this current biplane experience...:wiggle:

Keep up the great work, these are really nice history bits, and I've thoroughly enjoyed them.

MarkH
August 1st, 2010, 00:00
...but truth be told, the newer GA Stearman is also really something special, and IMO a 'cut above' the Classic series overall.

The Stearman is nice, although I would like to see some dirty repaints for it! (I love the freeware Stearman crop duster by Robert Sanderson). I do think the Waco F models (coming in part 4) are nicer than the Model Tens, and they're visually about as well done as the Stearmans. Personally I don't like the 'hot rod' versions like the Taperwing shown in my last video, I like the more laconic middle-of-the-road thumpers!

Anyway, thanks for the kind comments, and keep watching!

bkeske
August 1st, 2010, 03:34
Oh yea, Sanderson's Stearman was/is very nice indeed. I had it ported, but finally removed it, as there were too many texture 'holes' after SP2. Wonderful detail.

Interesting about the F models. I have been thinking about adding those to the collection.

I do agree with you though, we do need some 'hot shot' re-painters to take a stab at the Golden Age products. I have tweaked most of mine, and 'toned them down' a bit, but have yet to attempt a full repaint.

MarkH
August 1st, 2010, 09:57
There is an update for the Sanderson Stearman, but I don't know if addresses the issues you mention. I know that I see odd semi-transparent guages, but I'm mostly interested in the idea of using it for movies than really flying it around.

MarkH
August 6th, 2010, 07:33
ROgcSvv9rVY

bkeske
August 6th, 2010, 15:06
Nice job once again Mark. Good stuff.

Javis
August 6th, 2010, 19:11
Wonderful, Mark, looks very impressive full screen at 720 on my brand new 30" monitor ! :)

If you don't mind me saying so, a bit of a pauze every now and then at the right moment in between your narration would do your excellent video presentation good. So much info to digest, you'd nearly miss how wonderful these aeroplanes look... :)

Your camera work is excellent, really showing how Bruce Artwick's ugly duckling, which i loved tremendously, has turned into a beautiful swan !

Btw, Mr. Cruise's two wheeled Gambon corner was quite spectacular, wasn't it ! :cool:

Cheers,
Jan

MarkH
August 6th, 2010, 23:03
...a bit of a pauze every now and then...

Heh heh, I have been accused on 'not breathing enough', so point taken :)

Btw, Mr. Cruise's two wheeled Gambon corner was quite spectacular, wasn't it ! :cool:

Yes, it was good entertainment but they didn't even mention 'Days of Thunder', which I happened to quite like. And then to learn Cruise has a P-51...! Life's just not fair :(

MarkH
August 13th, 2010, 07:23
That's all, folks :salute:

KTZdzWLlMbo

Naismith
August 13th, 2010, 12:32
These are great little videos. Interesting, informative and commercial vendors could take a lesson out of his book here in the presentation of their wares. It inspired me to dust off my Wacos (sounds rude).

stormtrooper271
August 13th, 2010, 12:55
I like the videos, they kinda make me want to go up to Troy and go to Waco field and pay for a ride.