PDA

View Full Version : Catalina in "Below"

dswo
July 16th, 2010, 18:52
I'm watching this on Netflix streaming right now. I don't know if it's actually good, but the first minute has some nice footage of an RAF Catalina, interior and exterior.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Below/60024909

Helldiver
July 18th, 2010, 05:01
A very odd picture. The aircraft, ships and submarine were accurate. The PBY acually had a turret in her nose. They even explore the outer hull and the pressure hull of the Sub. The characters seem real with one of the officers being a yo-yo addict and in spite of being a late film, people actually smoke cigarettes.
I don't know if it was real, but the awful multi splined 'hook", dragged by one of the German ships. raised holy hell with the Sub. One of the depth charges landed on the deck and they could hear it as it moved along until it finally slipped off, only to explode at a lower depth. That was realistically shown.
The story line is a typical spook movie and if you overlook that it would be a good flic. They apparently had use of a WWII submarine and they use hygrometers to measure the acids levels in the batteries. They used real bronze hatches between compartments.
Techincally I would give it five stars. The story line, two stars.