PDA

View Full Version : Believe it or not...

peperez
July 16th, 2010, 16:39
...this was almost true!

Sweden evaluate the A6M2 Zero. After that, SAAB developed a Swdish copy with a 1,400hp Taurus engine and a clear view canopy. Messing some alpha chanel, I got this result. It was to be faster than its Japanese brother.

Cheers

Pepe

tonybones2112
July 16th, 2010, 16:50
...this was almost true!

Sweden evaluate the A6M2 Zero. After that, SAAB developed a Swdish copy with a 1,400hp Taurus engine and a clear view canopy. Messing some alpha chanel, I got this result. It was to be faster than its Japanese brother.

Cheers

Pepe

Pepe, I'd have to say the Zero is my favorite warplane, although I love all of them. Tell you what: You build the Swedish Zeke, I'll fly it.

Bonesimoto

peperez
July 17th, 2010, 04:02
To clean the cockpit using MDL Mat...

oldwheat
July 17th, 2010, 08:17
Sure Pepe, send it over.

peperez
July 17th, 2010, 12:21
Sure Pepe, send it over.

Please, check your EMail...

Pips
July 17th, 2010, 16:49
Is the J-19 the aircraft your referring to? The following taken from "The Swedish Military Aviation Page".

Cancelled SAAB Aircraft Projects
J 19 - SAAB L-12, The Swedish Zero
This fighter was meant to replace our Gloster Gladiators. The project was worked on by Saab, in collaboration with US engineers here to aid with licence production of our Northrop 8-A 1:s and NA-16-4 M:s. It was presented to the Ministry on Sep 4:th 1939, and work must have been started at least a year earlier.

What stopped this project was in fact the outbreak of the war, as the intended engine was to be a Bristol Taurus II, giving 1400 hp with 100-octane fuel. The British had to concentrate on known engines (and the Taurus would have been overweight and underpowered anyway), and as a replacement P&W Twin Wasp was considered (and well, the US didn't want to sell us any engines at that time). Also, Saab had to concentrate on B 17 and B 18, so there was never even a wind tunnel model built. It looked very much like a Zero, and was an all-metal construction with fabric covered control surfaces. Span 10.5 m; Empty weight 2015 kg; Operational weight 2690 kg; Max speed 605 km/h; Engine 1065 hp Bristol Taurus; Armament four wing-mounted 13.2 mm guns and possibly two 8 mm MG:s on top of the engine.

It does indeed look similar to the Type 0. Drawing here:
http://www.canit.se/~griffon/aviation/text/saabcanc/j19.gif

It's design may also have been strongly influenced by the Gloster F5/34 project.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/chrismcd3/GlosterF534.jpg

But SAAB's contention that the Taurus II would produce 1,400hp with 100/130 octane fuel seems highly optimistic. According to both Jane's and Lumsden, 'British Piston Aero Engines and Their Aircraft', the best a Taurus could do with 100/130 octane was 1,085hp.

Still, it would have been an impressive aircraft.

peperez
July 18th, 2010, 05:16
Is the J-19 the aircraft your referring to? The following taken from "The Swedish Military Aviation Page".

Cancelled SAAB Aircraft Projects
J 19 - SAAB L-12, The Swedish Zero
This fighter was meant to replace our Gloster Gladiators. The project was worked on by Saab, in collaboration with US engineers here to aid with licence production of our Northrop 8-A 1:s and NA-16-4 M:s. It was presented to the Ministry on Sep 4:th 1939, and work must have been started at least a year earlier.

What stopped this project was in fact the outbreak of the war, as the intended engine was to be a Bristol Taurus II, giving 1400 hp with 100-octane fuel. The British had to concentrate on known engines (and the Taurus would have been overweight and underpowered anyway), and as a replacement P&W Twin Wasp was considered (and well, the US didn't want to sell us any engines at that time). Also, Saab had to concentrate on B 17 and B 18, so there was never even a wind tunnel model built. It looked very much like a Zero, and was an all-metal construction with fabric covered control surfaces. Span 10.5 m; Empty weight 2015 kg; Operational weight 2690 kg; Max speed 605 km/h; Engine 1065 hp Bristol Taurus; Armament four wing-mounted 13.2 mm guns and possibly two 8 mm MG:s on top of the engine.

It does indeed look similar to the Type 0. Drawing here:
http://www.canit.se/~griffon/aviation/text/saabcanc/j19.gif

It's design may also have been strongly influenced by the Gloster F5/34 project.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/chrismcd3/GlosterF534.jpg

But SAAB's contention that the Taurus II would produce 1,400hp with 100/130 octane fuel seems highly optimistic. According to both Jane's and Lumsden, 'British Piston Aero Engines and Their Aircraft', the best a Taurus could do with 100/130 octane was 1,085hp.

Still, it would have been an impressive aircraft.

I did a Gloster F5/34 (it's avaible here) conversion and I can not understand why RAF didn't use it at Battle of Britain, It was a terrific dogfighter that don't use Merlin engines. The SAAB J.19, in fact, was to have only a superficial ressemblence to Zero.

Cheers

Pepe

Jagdflieger
July 18th, 2010, 05:42
Here's the Gloster F5/34. It sure looks similar to a Zero and the Sweedish design.

tonybones2112
July 18th, 2010, 15:05
I got Pepe's take on this fighter, I ain't unzipped it yet, I need to take the missus shopping soon as the sun goes down(she has breathing troubles in hot, high humidity)I'll check it out. I think Pepe's is a converted Zero, anyone wants to take this plane and tweak it, I'll sure fly it.

Thanks Pepe

Bones