View Full Version : Tinian

MaskRider
July 15th, 2010, 09:11
North Field, Tinian is done.

Just ran a short mission.
Date: 6 August, 1945.
Weather: clear with scattered clouds.
Time: 1:37AM
Location: 509 Composite Group, Enola Gay hard stand, North Field, Tinian, Mariana Islands.
Goal: Taxi to runway Able9. Take off. Make self available for screen shots.
Outcome:Mission Accomplished

Next up is West Field, Tinian and then finish up the island with a very abbreviated version of the road network.
MR

mariereid
July 15th, 2010, 10:12
Ho hum, another fabulous and spectular MR airfield. Hee, hee, just kidding, but you are spoiling us. Thanks for ALL the great work you have shared with us. They are all gems! :salute::salute::salute:

'spectacular' ......jeez, no wonder I can't even build a simple runway.

Ghostrider
July 15th, 2010, 11:13
Ho hum, another fabulous and spectular MR airfield. Hee, hee, just kidding, but you are spoiling us. Thanks for ALL the great work you have shared with us. They are all gems! :salute::salute::salute:

Yep. he's spoiling us ROTTEN! :wiggle:

MaskRider
July 15th, 2010, 13:46
Hehe! Aye! And ROTTEN you are!:ernae:

After I started adding some roads to the north end of the island, I remembered that I hadn't yet installed the Bomb assembly buildings into the scenery. Couldn't do it until I got the roads going to them laid in properly. So, North Field isn't quite done. But will be shortly.

Here are several screenies taken by my tail gunner as we carried out a sortie of creative destruction, in and around the North Field, Tinian op area.

127651276612767http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

Pips
July 15th, 2010, 14:22
WOW! :icon_eek: That was fast!

I'm still steering my B-29 around the hard stands on Guam, it's so easy to get lost. :)

Ghostrider
July 15th, 2010, 15:08
Love it - just love it! :ernae:

kdriver
July 16th, 2010, 09:42
Beautiful work Chris.

Tinian North Field was the largest airfield in the world at the time.

Have you seen this photo? - busy place.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Boeing-B-29A-Superfortress/0683982/L/&sid=f06028e5d3fbc897c6932fd587a9c283

MaskRider
July 16th, 2010, 10:23
Hi Guys, thanks.

The more I looked at it the more I became dis-satisfied with the North Field ground texture. Didn't seem to be enough crushed coral bedding visible. Made adjustments.

Added the bomb assembly building, too. Such as it is. We don't really have a building that fits the bill perfectly. But, one of the great things about this Sim is the way it allows us to use our imagination!

Find a few screenies.

BTW, before the sun is over the yardarm, I will have a small North Field, Tinian pack, ready to go. When the full Tinian pack comes out, none of the current files names will be changed. It will just be a straight swap out/overwrite- where needed.

Shall I post a link to it on this thread? Or shall I upload it to the official SOH Download archives?

dvslats
July 16th, 2010, 13:41
BTW, before the sun is over the yardarm, I will have a small North Field, Tinian pack, ready to go. When the full Tinian pack comes out, none of the current files names will be changed. It will just be a straight swap out/overwrite- where needed.

Shall I post a link to it on this thread? Or shall I upload it to the official SOH Download archives?
Hey Mask, If'n you have a place for it to be downloaded from, a link would be peachy. :jump:
Dv

MaskRider
July 17th, 2010, 17:37
Got a Marianas.zip updated with North Field, Tinian all set for distribution. I will post the readme here before making the file available so that any who wish to do so can read the revised instructions and double check for any errors or possible confusion.

Thanks!

MaskRider
July 17th, 2010, 19:39
Here ya go!

Attachment deleted per request.

Check page two for the updated B-2a version.

MR

Jagdflieger
July 18th, 2010, 05:32
Got it MR. Thanks!

By the way, the link in Kdriver's post above gives you a great back ground screen photo for your desktop in keeping with the spirit of Ghostrider's updated B-29 and these new airfields.

AGAS 5
July 18th, 2010, 05:53
Wow, that looks great Chris - Thank you :jump:

Pete

(somewhere in the sand pit)

MaskRider
July 18th, 2010, 06:03
By the way, the link in Kdriver's post above gives you a great back ground screen photo for your desktop in keeping with the spirit of Ghostrider's updated B-29 and these new airfields.

I had not seen this photo, no. And for some reason while I saw kdrivers post I didn't notice the linked picture. Sorry about that, kdrivers! Great picture. It would also make a great "cover" picture for the final readme for the final all inclusive Marianas Pack.

I was thinking last night looking at the my screen shots that it would sure be cool to put a B-29 on each of the hardstands and a couple of double wide columns of them lined up on the double wide taxiways leading to runways- and get a few screenies! The place was incredibly busy.

When you think of what it took in terms of personnel and logistics to support just a single B-29 and its air and ground crew and the number of support personnel required to support them it is mind boggling.

North Field, Tinian had hard stands for 265 AC- and from what I have seen there were few vacancies. Add to that the same down at West Field and the the harbor and all of the other facilities that literally covered Tinian from one end to the other and the mind boggles even more! More amazing still is how quickly it was all reclaimed by mother nature.

Yep, the Marianas airfields and facilities and the power we projected from them during WWII leaves one a little breathless. To quote Patton loosely: compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor pale in comparison.

And of course don't forget the facilities, personnel, equipment and raw materials required by the SeaBees- the jaw drops! Those guys are some of the real heroes of the pacific war. And when the war was over they came home, put on their civies and used the techniques they had developed in the Pacific to literally transform post war America and the way we live to this very day. Wonderful guys!

kdriver
July 18th, 2010, 08:02
I had not seen this photo, no. And for some reason while I saw kdrivers post I didn't notice the linked picture. Sorry about that, kdrivers! Great picture.

That's OK MR - it is a good picture.

I've installed Tinian and it looks great. I can also see runways being cut out of the bush over on Saipan.

Should there be GSL objects showing up on Tinian? I deactivated the previous mr_marianas and installed the new one, but the only GSL objects showing are the default ones on the old site of Tinian airfield.

Kevin

MaskRider
July 18th, 2010, 08:54
Should there be GSL objects showing up on Tinian? I deactivated the previous mr_marianas and installed the new one, but the only GSL objects showing are the default ones on the old site of Tinian airfield.

Kevin

Aaahhh, yes. Seems I forgot to include the new GSL file with the scenery. Will correct shortly.

Thanks very much for the heads up!

This may be a bit tricky because I couldn't swear that the GOBs included in this new Tinian actually cover the same GOB(s) as the stock. So, even with the new GSL installed, without some further mechanations, the objects at the stock Tinian might still show. Hopefully. no.

I build all this stuff on an empty GSL. So that when I am finished the only thing in the custom GSL are the objects I have put there. GSLMan will over write whatever is already there so long as the gobs covered in the custom GSL include those in the stock.

We'll see. Please let me know.

Thanks again for the heads up.

MaskRider
July 18th, 2010, 09:39
Ok here is the zip with the updated GSL file.

I renamed it mr_marianas_b-2a.zip because I was not able to dump the old version and simply replace with a newer version having the same name.

Would love to kill the above link if possible! ;)

Probably should handle this sort of thing from my own web site from now on. Trouble is I like to see how many times it has been downloaded. Don't know how to do it with my web site.

Thanks kdriver for the heads up! And please let me know if the old Tinian objects are still present after installing this updated GSL file.

BTW the install instructions for the GSL file still hold.

Find mr_marianas_b-2a.zip attached!

Jagdflieger
July 18th, 2010, 13:07
Voila!

B-2 is history.

dvslats
July 18th, 2010, 13:16
Hey Chris,
Everything looks on the up and up from my end.

Just for slips and grins I tried your scenery with and without the lod9.
IMHO it's much better with the lod9. It does take out a few more fps, but the visuals are much better, ie the hilly terrain behind the base like you see in the pic provided by kdriver. It's more prominent with it.

Something a little strange I've noticed when adding scenery...not just yours, but any that includes gsl, is after closing CFS2 and restarting it after the scenery activation, my fps are horrible.
But, every subsequent restart of the sim, they slowly creep back up again until they're at the usual 58 to 63 fps. From that point on they stay normal.

It is not really a big deal since they do eventually come back again. I'm just curious if anybody else has seen this. :ques:

Anywho, getting back to the main topic "Tinian". She's looking really good!
Thanks for tackling this Eeeuge (big) project MR and doing her justice.
Till Later, Dv

MaskRider
July 18th, 2010, 13:28
Voila!

B-2 is history.

Thanks, Jagd! :salute:

Ghostrider
July 18th, 2010, 14:41
Two words - get it! :jump:

Don't forget to use the CFS2 menu "world\go to\exact location\advanced go to\Scenery from FS95 and before" to check out all of these cool areas to start from - hardstands, nose hangars, Fuel locations, taxiways, and different runways. You don't always have to start from the end of the active runway!:wiggle:

"Lady Eve" over Tinian North Field
"Supine Sue" taxiing on Tinian with Saipan in the background.
Fill 'er up! on Tinian
Tinian North Field "Nose hangar"

mariereid
July 18th, 2010, 15:06
Oh, that's it! I guess I gotta learn to fly one of those babies, at least drive it around! Real nice work, fellas!:salute:

MaskRider
July 18th, 2010, 15:23
Yes I echo what GR says about being sure to make use of the many Advanced GoTo start points available in this scenery- and all other MR scenery, too.

To expand slightly on what GR said- here's how you access these start points:

From the "Go To Location" screen click on the "Advanced Go To" button in the lower right.
From the "Advanced Go To" screen click on the "Scenery from FS95 and before" button.
From the "Scenery Area" list (right side of screen) click on an airfield name. Then,
From the "Search Results" list (left side of screen) choose a start point from the list.

As example, in the screenies below after I chose Tinian from the "Scenery Area" list I then chose "Enola Gay hard stand" from the "Search Results" list on the left. Taxing to the runway of your choice from one of these non default start points really enhances the immersion factor.

In other scenery, Guam for instance, there are many water start points, too. All you need is a float plane that will start in water without sinking and respawning itself!

Thanks for bringing this up, GR! I really should include a note about it in the readme/install instructions and will from now on. I promise!

MaskRider
July 18th, 2010, 19:03
Sorry about that guys. I was playing around with my attachment setting and kinda goofed!

Made a couple of slight changes to the readme. Added:

Note about copying contents of scenedb/world/texture folder to the main CFS2 Texture folder.
Note about PacTex
Note about none default start points.
Kept the file name the same.

Find mr_marianas_b-2a.zip attached.

CrisGer
July 19th, 2010, 09:50
At last a Tinian worthy of the name. Fine work M! Thank you so very much. This is a fine way to honour the hundreds of crews who spent long long hours in those huge planes... those were LONG flights to Japan and back ..... and many made it back to the T and to the other backup fields truly on a wing and a prayer. This was the largest airfield of the time I believe and it was needed for those monster planes. Wonderful work.

Pips
July 25th, 2010, 14:49
Been looking for the Tinian fields scenery under 'CFS 2 Scenery Add-Ons' and can't see it. Only Guam (which I naturally have :)) Where's it stored?

MaskRider
July 25th, 2010, 15:20
Hi Pips,

Sorry for the confusion.

North Field, Tinian is the latest airfield added to the MR Mariana Islands pack.

The original release- focused on Guam and Rota islands- was named mr_marianas_b-1.zip.

It is available here at the SOH add ons library.The updated version- which includes the islands of Agrihan (?), Tinian and Saipan and the airfield: North Field, Tinian, is named mr_marianas_b-2a.zip.

mr_marianas_b-2a.zip is available just a couple of posts above this one.

Nothing like causing confusion, huh?

Don't want to upload anything else to the SOH library until the entire pack is done. Then I will get rid of the b-1 version all together and just have an MR_Marianas pack.

I won't be releasing any more updates to the MR Mariana Islands pack for a bit. Reworked the Northern Marianas and Bonin Islands to fit JP's mesh and am currently engrossed doing a serious redevelopment project on Iwo Jima.

Cheers,
Chris

Pips
July 25th, 2010, 23:08
Ahhh, now it all makes sense. :)

bobhegf
July 26th, 2010, 03:53
The only thing missing in thies pictures are the people, jeeps,staff cars and engine change out units to really bring thies thies great works of art alive.

MaskRider
July 26th, 2010, 09:28
Your point is well taken, Bob. I agree.

Whats really missing that I left out of North Field, Tinian- and the other "huge" B-29 fields- because of frame rate considerations- are the little details around the hard stands. Each of those hard stands was surrounded by the tents and water tanks and very crude living facilities used by the ground crew and probably at least some of the air crew. And yes jeeps, and engine change out units- whatever they needed to maintain themselves and the aircraft.

The spaces between the hardstands did not go unused.

I have been thinking that it might be worthwhile to go back and add those sort of details just at the hardstands where there are advanced goto start points. I think it would help for sure.

Good point.

MR

Devildog73
July 31st, 2010, 04:17
I thought I would add a bit to Chris' photo collection of Tinian.

Check this one out!

Devildog73
July 31st, 2010, 04:28
Or this one.

bearcat241
July 31st, 2010, 04:58
Good traffic DD; mission is a go!

Interesting how a CFS2 flight model that requires a long runway for realistic player takeoff only needs a few feet for AI takeoff.