PDA

View Full Version : Monitor or Video card?

Roger
November 17th, 2008, 13:37
I have a problem with what I'll call "noise bands" that are horizontal but with no defined shape. They flicker and are most noticeable in low light conditions especially in vc. When the screen is relatively light the problem virtually goes away. The problem has always been there since I built the pc last December and just didn't fly at night but I'd like to get to the bottom of it. The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 920N and the video card is a GF8800GTX. The question is faulty video card or monitor or any possible causes.

txnetcop
November 17th, 2008, 13:44
I have a problem with what I'll call "noise bands" that are horizontal but with no defined shape. They flicker and are most noticeable in low light conditions especially in vc. When the screen is relatively light the problem virtually goes away. The problem has always been there since I built the pc last December and just didn't fly at night but I'd like to get to the bottom of it. The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 920N and the video card is a GF8800GTX. The question is faulty video card or monitor or any possible causes.
Roger sometimes you can get spill-over from sound. You might lower your sound quality level a notch and see if that has had an effect. It worked on another system I looked at yesterday...no guarantee but worth a look.
Ted

rdyoung
November 17th, 2008, 13:48
I had similar problems awhile ago and isolated it to the monitor by trying the monitor on another computer and seeing the same phenomenon.

Rick

JoeW
November 17th, 2008, 14:04
I had some anomilies a while back. After a while, in FSX, I was getting "streaking and smearing". Since it ran for a bit I thought it was a problem with the card ( a gForce 7600 GS w/ 512 mgs in AGP) so I pulled the card and removed the fan/heatsink and cleaned the GPU with an old plastic card and Alcohol. I then put a little dab of 'Artic Silver 5' on it and reassembled it.
That hasn't happened again. Somehow the contact was lost between the GPU and Heatsink.

JSkorna
November 17th, 2008, 14:05
Hi,

Make sure everything is running in 32 bit color: desktop, and FS.

Roger
November 17th, 2008, 14:12
Thanks for all the replies fellas:ernae: I'll work through them and see what happens. Ted, if I were to switch the sound off in the drop down options menu would that isolate the effect or does it have to be a change in the sound settings?

txnetcop
November 17th, 2008, 15:06
Thanks for all the replies fellas:ernae: I'll work through them and see what happens. Ted, if I were to switch the sound off in the drop down options menu would that isolate the effect or does it have to be a change in the sound settings?

Try both it just may do it for ya. I know that X-FI cards can cause that effect too
Ted

Roger
November 18th, 2008, 10:45
After a long time buggering about:banghead: I finally tried a different mains socket for the monitor, away from all the rest of the computer accessories sockets and ..................... all is well:isadizzy:

Must have been an earth loop.

gera
November 18th, 2008, 12:05
or a UFO!!!!!

harleyman
November 18th, 2008, 15:41
After a long time buggering about:banghead: I finally tried a different mains socket for the monitor, away from all the rest of the computer accessories sockets and ..................... all is well:isadizzy:

Must have been an earth loop.

Twlight zone....Glad you got it going.......

Wish that would fix mine....:d