PDA

View Full Version : Now that Windows 7 is out, what do you think of it now

hey_moe
July 14th, 2010, 10:17
I know we have all had our problems with Vista and some of the other OS's but now that Window 7 has been out for a spell how do you guys like it. For me it seems very stable and is faster. Not as fast as the Apple OS but W7 seems to have a few more features and is better than XP. So far on my gaming it also seems to be stable...Mike

Ferry_vO
July 14th, 2010, 11:39
W7 (Home premium 64-bit here) seems indeed stable and fast, but over the last three months I had two identical problems that left me no option but to reinstall everything. After a reboot explorer.exe would crash and I would only have an empty desktop left. At least the safe mode was still working so I could make back-ups on my external hard disk. Very odd problem; I've tried registry repair tools, antivirus, ccleaner from safe mode but nothing could fix the problem!

CybrSlydr
July 14th, 2010, 11:40
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 here.

Love it. None of the problems with drivers or the like with Vista. Great OS. Works wonderfully, I'm a big fan!

It's what Vista should have been.

Jim Brown
July 14th, 2010, 11:43
It is GREAT! :ernae: Kudos to M$ for making this! Only problem is that when I shut it down, that 'waiting for programs to close' dialog comes up but no programs are on the list. But, its still the best OS so far.

Cratermaker
July 14th, 2010, 12:00
I have Win7 x64 ultimate after a "safety" waiting period. My days of early "adopter/beta round 2" are over. I never owned a copy of Vista! :)

Going from XP (I still have a machine that runs that), to Win7 was great and probably worth the time. I say time, not money, because it took a lot longer to load and patch everything than dollars. I have kept it dual boot for now, in case I forgot something or until I need the extra HD capacity. Which I doubt... because drives are so cheap.

The biggest problem I've had so far was getting some old stuff to run, but it too was solved with a little help from google.

Tom Clayton
July 14th, 2010, 12:52
I've seen a couple of work related thing that work correctly under XP but are "broken" under W7. Other than that, I've seen no real issues with it. I couple of pages on Facebook's Farmville have caused Trena's IE8 to lock up and have to be forced closed via the Task Manager, but I think that's more attributed to the page code and not the OS/browser.

TeaSea
July 14th, 2010, 13:42
I am very please. Vastly improved performance of the machine overall (which came with Vista) and improved performance on FSX.

There are some annoying bugs...such as adding scenery to FSX, but there are work arounds, you just have to remember them.

The bugs are negated by the improved performance and efficiency. I love being able to quickly pop up two screens with a keystroke.

PRB
July 14th, 2010, 13:45
So far so good. I like it. At least W7 lets me copy files to my C: drive without getting permission from the State Department! (stupid Vista!)

stuartcox
July 14th, 2010, 14:42
I'm a traditionalist, and stick to my XP! It's never done any harm to me, and I get what I expect!
What more would I get through upgrading to W7?

gradyhappyg
July 14th, 2010, 14:45
I have it. Windows 7 64. But don't know if the extra speed is because of the OS or 8 year newer more tricked out PC. Went from single core to quad and 2 gigs to 8 gigs. The fact that some areas are locked,hidden in 7 can be very annoying. Especially if you run into any registry problems. Lucky for me the last known good configuration reset did the trick.

Piglet
July 14th, 2010, 19:03
So far, so good! Only bugs is getting some programs to work. Compat-Mode sometimes helps.
Glad I never had Vista!

robert41
July 14th, 2010, 19:09
I have had Win7-64 for about a month and a half now. Everything seems to be working fine. I had XP since 2005. Once I got use to 7, it does seem to be better organized, you can do things faster than in XP.

txnetcop
July 14th, 2010, 19:16
Win7 64bit and XP Pro 64bit in dual boot. Love it!
Ted

demorier
July 14th, 2010, 21:46
I've got Vista but been helping a friend put together a new late system with W7 64 bit. From what I have seen it is a lot similar to Vista although a bit more fussy again about some driver sets that are "unsigned" by M$. Like most there are work arounds but fiddly.
Some modern on-line games seem to eat great heaps of the computer resources (I think it has always been to do with audio eating the ram, cache etc), so much so that he is thinking of installing a second video card just for PC gaming.

When you start to dig right into it, I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be ....so far.

wombat666
July 14th, 2010, 23:16
W7 Ultimate 64bit runs pretty well from my point of view, despite a couple of annoying bugs.
A minor one that really ticks me off is its habit of showing black squares instead of desktop icons at random, but it is not a big issue.

For some reason it lacks the 'smooth' feel of XP, but XP 64bit never seemed to have much second party support.
Shame as I'd have stuck with XP Pro 64 if that had been supported better.
XP Pro 32bit is running as good as ever on my old 'Office' box .............:ernae: