PDA

View Full Version : 5 Lbs goldfish!

Prowler1111
July 14th, 2010, 06:22
So this is what happens when you send them down the drain:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1294594/Schoolboy-angler-reels-enormous-5lb-GOLDFISH.html

..i dont want to imagine all those baby crocodiles disposed the same way..

Prowler
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

cheezyflier
July 14th, 2010, 09:47
there was once a 9 lb piranha caught in the delaware river @ battery park.

Tom Clayton
July 14th, 2010, 13:12
Seems to me that might be a Koi. They're popular man-made backyard pond stock. Some people even breed them to show like others would dogs or cats. Koi are also related to Carp.

Edit - Oops - just read the rest of the article...

OBIO
July 14th, 2010, 13:24
That's just a common Goldfish...can hit 18 plus inches if properly housed and cared for...or released into a large body of water (DO NOT RELEASE YOUR AQUARIUM FISH INTO THE WILD). Koi, are more Carp like, but more colorful...can hit 4 feet in length and can go for some serious money...I once saw a prize Japanese Koi going for over a million dollars US.

Being a fish keeper for the better part of 35 years, I find it appalling that people do not research the fish they buy before buying them. And I find it more appalling that stores can give out such incorrect information about the fish they sale. And I find it even more appalling that there are not more laws governing the way fish are treated....I have seen fish that have been tattooed with polka dots, hearts, stripes. I have seen fish that have been completely dyed various colors. Dying and tattooing of fish is very painful to the fish and greatly shortens their life span. If someone were to take a puppy, kitten or baby bunny and tattoo it, animal abuse laws would come into play...but no action is taken when the same thing is done to fish. Heck, I saw a site on the internet that sold fish with their tails cut off to make them more heart shaped.

Okay, stepping down off the soap box now.

OBIO