PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited Fuel Option

Rezabrya
July 13th, 2010, 18:25
I was wondering about the unlimited fuel option in FSX. When enabled, does the sim still reflect the correct weight of your fuel values? For instance in the default Hornet, you are supposed to have low fuel to trap on a carrier. Even though you could fly all day, does the sim still reflect the correct weight of the fuel percentage? This may be hard to understand but I don't know how to describe it better.

Also, are there any addons that have problems with this setting? I know a lot of addon manuals tell you to disable it but I figured that was just for the most realism and not because it affected the plane negatively. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

N2056
July 13th, 2010, 18:41
I don't know myself...but it seems to me that if you enabled that option and then flew around using gas for awhile you ought to be able to then look at the fuel loading menu and find the answer :salute:

MenendezDiego
July 13th, 2010, 19:28
I believe that with unlimited fuel, you will exhaust the actual fuel in the aircraft to zero pounds, but you will be able to continue flying at that level indefinitely.

Does that make sense? The plane will exhaust the fuel at the normal rate, but once it's gone, it will stay/react at zero fuel conditions

heywooood
July 13th, 2010, 19:33
hmmm...never tried it - I always select about 50% or less for carrier ops...

I thought the way it worked was more like a fuel level hold - so that if full tanks were selected and unlimited fuel ticked, your tanks would stay full - and if you selected 50% fuel and unlimited, the tanks would hold at 50%....that makes the most sense because then you could fly unlimited traps with the fuel/weight at a realistic constant level and really pin down the approaches more perfectly

MenendezDiego
July 13th, 2010, 19:37
I don't believe that is the case.

I tried this with the VRS Hornet, and my fuel went to 0.0

The plane was ALOT more maneuverable than it was at 100%...50%...25%...etc.

Rezabrya
July 13th, 2010, 19:55
Ok cool. Now for my second question. Are any addon planes adversely affected by this option?

falcon409
July 13th, 2010, 20:17
Yea the only effect unlimited fuel has in the long run is that after you've run the tanks dry you can continue to Fly "unlimited". Also, I have had some payware aircraft that would disregard the unlimited fuel selection and when the tanks were dry. . .you were looking at a very still prop, or a very heavy paperweight (in the case of a jet).:salute: