PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP...it just keeps going, and going, and going.........

Lateral-G
July 13th, 2010, 11:25
http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/13/technology/windows_xp/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

I guess it just goes to show you can tweek an OS only so much before the general populace rebels...

Bjoern
July 13th, 2010, 13:44
I understand a downgrade from Vista, but Seven?!?

gigabyte
July 13th, 2010, 15:04
I understand a downgrade from Vista, but Seven?!?

In the corporate IT world this is welcome news, believe me with the number of Applications most companies have now it is a MAJOR nightmare to change the OS. Making sure all the legacy software will work, and that all of the hardware drivers are avaliable for the new OS - Ohhh the pain... I woek for a large company and we have some mission critical applications that are still text based (think MSDOS style) that we have never been able to port over to Windows, and some of our hardware is still SNA as in connected to the network with RG58U cable just like Cable TV. The problems porting these apps and replacing the hardware are huge, we figure 8 Million to upgrade our CRM software to a current version that will run on Win 7, and the vendor is not sure if the data can be converted properly, it may require starting fresh and that is not a good option.

There is so much more to corporate IT than the PC OS, even installing service packs is risky, XP SP2 broke 1/3 of the Colour Printer drivers in our fleet and that was minor compared to what a full OS upgrade would cause.

I can easily see XP remaining popular in corporate IT for at least 5 more years if not longer.

Don't get me wrong tho, I love Win 7, (didn't have problems with Vista either), but there are just so many other things that have to be either upgraded or replaced before an OS change in a large environment.

stiz
July 13th, 2010, 15:09
a few pcs at me mums work are still running win98:isadizzy:

TeaSea
July 13th, 2010, 16:15
In the corporate IT world this is welcome news, believe me with the number of Applications most companies have now it is a MAJOR nightmare to change the OS. Making sure all the legacy software will work, and that all of the hardware drivers are avaliable for the new OS - Ohhh the pain... I woek for a large company and we have some mission critical applications that are still text based (think MSDOS style) that we have never been able to port over to Windows, and some of our hardware is still SNA as in connected to the network with RG58U cable just like Cable TV. The problems porting these apps and replacing the hardware are huge, we figure 8 Million to upgrade our CRM software to a current version that will run on Win 7, and the vendor is not sure if the data can be converted properly, it may require starting fresh and that is not a good option.

There is so much more to corporate IT than the PC OS, even installing service packs is risky, XP SP2 broke 1/3 of the Colour Printer drivers in our fleet and that was minor compared to what a full OS upgrade would cause.

I can easily see XP remaining popular in corporate IT for at least 5 more years if not longer.

Don't get me wrong tho, I love Win 7, (didn't have problems with Vista either), but there are just so many other things that have to be either upgraded or replaced before an OS change in a large environment.

Amen to that. I manage a worldwide enterprise and making an OS switch is a major undertaking. I sure as hell wasn't going to do that for Vista. I will for Win 7 but it will take us a while to work through all the data points you mentioned above. Then we'll have to have a decent fielding plan, start upgrading the old systems and putting in the new ones. Then there's the Information Assurance aspect and security patching....not knowing what you don't know. It's a big deal.

Until we're ready, we will happily buy the downgrade (yes, they charge for it).

Lionheart
July 13th, 2010, 17:11
God bless Microsoft for that kind gesture.

Awesome awesome....

I love my XP. I have so many people emailing with issues on installing planes, configs disappearing, etc, etc. XP for me works like a dang ROCKET on my computer (apple).

I hope MS will still be manufacturing the OS packages of XP. I need a couple more. :d

Bill

EDIT: Speaking of older, smoother software. I wish they would spice up FS2004 and relaunch that also. It runs soooooooooooo well now.

Rezabrya
July 13th, 2010, 17:36
FS9 spiced up sure sounds a lot like FSX to me :wiggle:

On topic though, WinXP is still a valid OS. Many businesses use it still and as it has been stated, it is a major pain to update to a new OS. I still don't understand why people hate on Vista so much though. I never had any problems with it.

Tom Clayton
July 13th, 2010, 20:05
I work for a dealer that sells a certain green and yellow brand. The corporate types insisted that dealers get up-to-date with Windows 7, and we did. Then they changed something in the warranty process to include code that breaks in that OS. So now our service manager has her "7" computer on one desk for most things, then this ancient beige box with an old CRT monitor so she can do the warranty stuff on XP. Yet another case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!"

HouseHobbit
July 14th, 2010, 16:47
I don't know how it is for companies, But I am pleased to keep using XP, if nothing else, I don't have to spend more money.. Maybe also some others may see it this way too..

If I had even nickel back i've spent on computers since 1973, when I started classes in computers..(Got hooked then..LOL)
I'd for sure have enough to have a nice vacation for a long time..

But to me now, it's the bottom line thing, if it ain't broke don't fix it..

Lionheart
July 14th, 2010, 16:52
I agree...

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!! lol..

Allen
July 15th, 2010, 00:11
http://qmusings.com/images/EnergizerBunny.gif

Wants XP to stop taking all his thunder.

stuartcox
July 15th, 2010, 01:01
If it's not broken, don't fix it!

TeaSea
July 15th, 2010, 16:38
On topic though, WinXP is still a valid OS. Many businesses use it still and as it has been stated, it is a major pain to update to a new OS. I still don't understand why people hate on Vista so much though. I never had any problems with it.

I ran it at the house for almost two years and never had a problem with it either, but that's a bit different environment from the job.

Basically Vista is too fat to run efficiently on our baseline hardware. Now, I can upgrade hardware, but consider, for every different platform I have I must maintain a distinct and separate image. What a pain in the a**!! We're talking a couple thousand machines here of perhaps a dozen different types and as many different configurations. To keep life simple as possible I buy from one vendor, as early in it's production cycle as I can, and use that model as long as I can. So when you show up at my "company" you will likely get a brand new machine -- that's been in production for over 2 years. Our lifecycle replacement is 3 years (in theory), so you're going to have a machine for at least three years that according to Mr. Moore's law is already obsolete. It's not really, but while the hardware just keeps on ticking....the software will expand beyond the hardware's capabilities, which will make it obsolete. As a user, you're going to find you'll be able to use less and less of the networks capabilities. That will continue until we find you one day in front of your work station drooling on the keyboard....

There's nothing broken here...but at some point....you better fix it!

Until then, we stay on XP, and ignore Vista.