PDA

View Full Version : auburn airfair

Daveroo
July 11th, 2010, 07:57
went to the auburn airfair yesterday the 10th..was a good show..alot of T28s and T6/SNJs,one P51H,a TBM,,got to see the taylor aerocar in the air and saw a really cool 1932 waco..pic to follow...bill might like it...lol....12400124031240212401

Dain Arns
July 11th, 2010, 08:21
Oh my.
I've seen that 1932 Waco QDC before.
Wow, that is one I'd really love to have in FSX...
(Bill, Bill??? :icon_lol:)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_vu7m_ZOxM9o/SA8x68InowI/AAAAAAAAWag/qqGgei8DtFQ/DSC02634.JPG

middle
July 11th, 2010, 11:09
I'll add to these after I edit a few...Dave, soory I missed ya...musta passed by that chevy ice cream truck five times.
I managed to finagle myself a ride in a Stinson Reliant in a couple weeks.....I'll post the pic sometime today!!

srgalahad
July 11th, 2010, 12:01
Oh my.
I've seen that 1932 Waco QDC before.

I have too, from a different point of view...

Nice pics Daveroo. Auburn is one place I've always wanted to go.. and keep missing. 'Small town' events are often the best!

Rob

Daveroo
July 11th, 2010, 12:34

Nice pics Daveroo. Auburn is one place I've always wanted to go.. and keep missing. 'Small town' events are often the best!

Rob

well if you ever make it..let middle and myself know and we will all have lunch at wings on the ramp...dave

Dain Arns
July 11th, 2010, 15:37

Rob

Why you lucky sonofa... :icon_lol:

I just love it.
The wings and empennage still retain that Waco look.
But the big cabin area, short nose, and that big radial out front give it such a wonderful 'bulldog' appearance.
Reminds me of the types of planes the heros from those Saturday afternoon movie serials might have had...

srgalahad
July 11th, 2010, 23:37
Why you lucky sonofa... :icon_lol:

Yep, it was luck. I'll try to keep the story short...
About ten years ago we were visiting friends in Fresno and I decided to drag my wife down to Fresno-Chandler to look at planes. Back then there was a bit of security but easily bypassed so we wandered down the hangar line. Late in the day but there was one hangar open... poked my head in and there were a bunch of warbirds so we talked to the mechanic for a bit and then headed off. Came to a hangar with a sign that said "Museum". Door was open so in we went and met Al who explained he was closed but when he found we were from Canada was more than willing to show off his treasures - the Waco and far more. We spent well over an hour talking and looking and he told the story of rebuilding the Waco ( it had just won the Grand Champion at OSH).
As we were leaving I saw a poster for a fly-in/airshow at Madera and commented on it. Al explained the show was Saturday but Friday night they had a steak dinner and auction to raise funds for Make-a-wish with a lot of the airshow planes and pilots arriving early. We had plans, but they got changed when he said: "Tell you what.. you come and buy the dinner for charity and I'll take you for a ride.. in the Waco" --we did, he did and I have the pictures.

srgalahad
July 11th, 2010, 23:52
First, four pics from the Madera evening. The Charity Auction... 4 tickets to Three Dog Night concert = $100, bottle of limited edition vintage Port = $40, two steak dinners = $24...

Ride in the Waco --- Priceless

an apology to Dave and middle for the hijack... we now return you to the Auburn Airfair :jump:

Daveroo
July 12th, 2010, 09:01
geeeese...what a thing to do........lol.....loved those pics and what a story....wished i had that kinda luck at times...my luck he woulda just said..im closed get lost.....lol

srgalahad
July 12th, 2010, 10:45
geeeese...what a thing to do........lol.....loved those pics and what a story....wished i had that kinda luck at times...my luck he woulda just said..im closed get lost.....lol

luck is sometimes helped by good management. I've been wheedling, whining. begging my way into airports and hangars since GM had a fleet of Convair 340's and jets were new so I have a whole pile of 'tales'. But go try your luck.. Al moved just after my trip and is in Columbia (the California version)
:salute: