PDA

View Full Version : another 'X' newbie question, Georender sceneries

Motormouse
July 11th, 2010, 02:39
Can I port over my beloved Georender sceneries for Washington State to
FSX? (Diamond Point,Orcas,Emma Fiels,Forks,Skykomish,Darrington..etc)

Any graphics issues need resolving along the way?

thanks in advance

Pete

Navy Chief
July 11th, 2010, 03:17
Can I port over my beloved Georender sceneries for Washington State to
FSX? (Diamond Point,Orcas,Emma Fiels,Forks,Skykomish,Darrington..etc)

Any graphics issues need resolving along the way?

thanks in advance

Pete

Now THIS is something I would be interested in as well!

the other Pete: Navy Chief

Dain Arns
July 11th, 2010, 03:28
I remember trying to import KORS - Orcas Island and it was a total bust.
And it's been so long ago, I can't remember all the specific problems.
Seems like it was more than just graphics, elevations were off by quite a bit too, animations weren't working...

Now...

Orbx has released FTX NA Blue: Pacific Northwest, or PNW as it is known by the community.

http://fullterrain.com/product_nablue.html

It is a base scenery, but almost all of the default airports have had tweaking done to them.

Here's the good part...

In their own "extra special attention to detail" way they are releasing new versions of the old GeoRender series airports.
Frankly, after you see all of the extra detail in Orbx's FSX versions, you really won't want to go back.

Here is the new Darrington, for an example:
(The entire town has been done!)

http://fullterrain.com/product_us1S2.html

KORS - Orcas Island is on the list of airports to be released.

Plus, a group of freeware designers, OZx, just released a frreware pack of airstrips this week, for the PNW scenery, and will be continuing to do so:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5851

So, my recommendation if you have the means, is to invest in this new scenery instead.
They recently have cut prices to affordable levels.
It's totally FSX compliant, and way more detailed than even the GeoRender series.
Give the screenshots and videos at the links above a good view.

My opinion, you really won't be disappointed.

falcon409
July 11th, 2010, 06:45
I had the Georender Series Airports working in FSX early on, but there were a lot of problems, that related to textures not displaying correctly. . .mainly the trees, but also some fence lines and a few other objects. I was able to remove the trees by trial and error, but there still remained a definite frame rate hit as well. As Dain said Orcas was one that was worse than the others, I couldn't get within 5 miles of that airport without my frame rates going to single digits.

If you can afford it, the Pacific Northwest from Orbyx is the way to go. Even the base product has enough in that region to keep you busy for quite some time and the individual airport enhancements like Starks Twin Oaks and Darrington are beyond anything that Georender had and those were amazingly accurate and beautifully done when they were released.

JoeW
July 11th, 2010, 07:58
I liked his sceneries as well. I've been to most in PNW Blue and they are almost as good.

Dain Arns
July 11th, 2010, 08:25
And maybe someone from Orbx can correct me, but I thought the 'unofficial' plan is to do all of the GeoRender series airports for the PNW area? :kilroy:

I think Emma is still in the works as well?

falcon409
July 11th, 2010, 08:50
. . . . . .I think Emma is still in the works as well?
Ah yes, EmmaX. Bill Womack has a blog going that shows the progress there. What he has is incredible, how long it will still be to completion. . . .:kilroy:I don't think anyone is saying any more.

spotlope
July 11th, 2010, 08:54
Ah yes, EmmaX. Bill Womack has a blog going that shows the progress there. What he has is incredible, how long it will still be to completion. . . .:kilroy:I don't think anyone is saying any more.

As my dad used to say when we whined on family road trips... 15 more minutes! I think he figured that by the time 15 minutes passed, we would have gone back to sleep.

So anyway, about Emma Field: hang on, it's only 15 minutes away.

falcon409
July 11th, 2010, 10:03
. . . .So anyway, about Emma Field: hang on, it's only 15 minutes away.
LMAO, Oh I remember that on many trips Bill and then when I had kids I became my Dad, lol.:salute: