PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning W7/32bit/64bit and FS9/FSX

OleBoy
July 10th, 2010, 19:09
Something just came to thought.

I've got plans to build a new flightsim machine for FSX in the very near future. I never thought of this before now. Considering I like to fly both FS9 and FSX, will it make a difference which operating system (Windows 7) 32bit or 64bit (OR Windows XP 64bit (preferred) that I use?
...My main concern is that I can run both simulators without having any trouble from one or the other.

Of course my sole intention is building the new machine for FSX. But I would like to know this before hand.

Is there anyone running both who can confirm no problems?

robert41
July 10th, 2010, 19:20
I have a new machine, with Win 7-64 OS. Runs FSX and FS9/GW3 very well.

OleBoy
July 10th, 2010, 19:33
I have a new machine, with Win 7-64 OS. Runs FSX and FS9/GW3 very well.

You said exactly what I was hoping for. :)
...Thanks very much

kilo delta
July 11th, 2010, 03:05
How much RAM are you running? Generally I'd stick with 32bit up to 4GB of installed memory and 64bit if you have or plan on adding more memory.

I'm in the process of installing Win 7 on all of my systems...32bit Ultimate on notebooks and 64bit Ultimate on desktops. Just for fun I installed Win 7 Ultimate on an old (2003 vintage) Alienware Sentia 223 with only 1gb of memory and integrated gfx and it runs fine(with aero turned off). :)

OleBoy
July 11th, 2010, 04:58
Thanks for the reply KD.

The machine has not been built yet. But I planned on using either XP/64 or W7/64, with a minimum of 6gig of memory.
...My concern was if FS9 could breath in that 64bit atmosphere but on separate drives.

robert41
July 11th, 2010, 16:34
No problem with FS9/GW3 on Win7-64. Talk to texnetcop and harleyman about an FSX computer. They know computers.

Bone
July 12th, 2010, 10:04
I've heard that some FS9 planes won't run with Windows 7 64 bit. I've been hesitating on converting to W7 64 bit because of the possibility. I hope that's just bad info. I would miss my Microsim T-37 too much if it didn't work.

kilo delta
July 12th, 2010, 10:45
The vast majority of FS9 addons should work under 64bit...you could always install them in XP compatibility mode under Win7 also.

Sorry for the OT, but does the Microsim T-37 work in FSX,Bone...or are you running it in FS9? :)

Bone
July 12th, 2010, 10:55
The vast majority of FS9 addons should work under 64bit...you could always install them in XP compatibility mode under Win7 also.

Sorry for the OT, but does the Microsim T-37 work in FSX,Bone...or are you running it in FS9? :)

I'm running the T-37 in FS9 for the most part. I do have it in FSX and it does work, with some limitations. Maybe I'll start a thread in the FSX section. I have been meaning to run a few things by the members. Sorry for the hijack Oleboy.

OleBoy
July 21st, 2010, 17:38
Not a problem Bone. I see your comments as somewhat relevant. I never for a second thought that some stuff, planes and such would have trouble. So information like what you refer to is good to know.

Now, should I get;

Windows XP/64 (which I am accustom too (XP/32bit),
or
Windows 7/64 (will be a whole new world)

and one more thing
...aside from the cost.

What known benefit (differences) would be noticed from a GTX470, compared to a GTX480?

I only want to do this once.

kilo delta
July 22nd, 2010, 03:31
Not a problem Bone. I see your comments as somewhat relevant. I never for a second thought that some stuff, planes and such would have trouble. So information like what you refer to is good to know.

Now, should I get;

Windows XP/64 (which I am accustom too (XP/32bit),
or
Windows 7/64 (will be a whole new world)

and one more thing
...aside from the cost.

What known benefit (differences) would be noticed from a GTX470, compared to a GTX480?

I only want to do this once.

Win 7 64bit definitely....XP64 was dire.

The GTX470 will be fine for FSX....maybe go with the OC version if you have a little extra to spend.

OleBoy
July 22nd, 2010, 08:06
Thanks for the assist KD. That saves a few bucks that I can apply to an SSD.

Something else crossed my mind
...Considering the sizes of the Seagate Barracuda drives (HUGE), I don't fancy the thought of having one for an OS drive. There is no way that it will ever get utilized to benefit a 750GB - 1.5TB.

I'm curious what other options I might have that have the lower seek times and large amount of cache. Western Digital comes to thought, though I have to check out how big them suckers are.

As for the sim drive, an SSD (very expensive) has come to mind. I was thinking of a 128GB for size. But I'm not sure it will be big enough. But it would be a good start.

kilo delta
July 22nd, 2010, 08:11
Best bang for your buck is Western Digital's Velociraptor 10,000rpm drives....300gb would probably suit you fine.

OleBoy
July 22nd, 2010, 08:14
I forgot about the Velociraptor. Yeah!! And the sizes are more manageable.
...Thanks once again.

kilo delta
July 22nd, 2010, 16:23
:salute:

robert41
July 22nd, 2010, 18:50
Win7 is very much different from XP. Some things better, some not so good. But seems to be better organized. I have a single 1TB hard drive split into three parts. One for the OS, one for FSX, and one for extra. I have GW3 in the extra. I have flown many aircraft in FS9/GW3. Including CFS2, many freeware and payware FS9 AC without trouble so far.

OleBoy
July 23rd, 2010, 06:44
This is a good thing. After revamping my hardware list a bit, I feel my configuration will be more than adequate to enjoy the long awaited FSX experience.

To any and all who have responded to my posts (past or present) of this nature, thanks for the guidance :salute:

LouP
September 7th, 2010, 06:23
Hi Guys,

I brought my fs9 over to my new machine along with it's home on an external drive. Is there a way to get it to run from where it is now in Win 7 without having to actually install it on the machine. I manually placed the the items from my previous documents and settings into my user area where the fsx cfg lives but FS9 still will not start up.

Thanks,
LouP

Dangerousdave26
September 7th, 2010, 17:54
Lou

I did the same thing as you.

I packed up my FS9 install and moved it to my new laptop. I manually entered all of the registry keys. Then I put the fs9.cfg file in its right place in Windows 7.

The path that I placed the FS9 folder was C:\Flightsim\FS9

FS9 would not run. I can't remember what the error message was.

Then I for fun installed FS9 from the discs to C:\Programs files\microsoft games\flight simulator 9

That install ran fine.

So I tried my other install and it ran also. :isadizzy:

Just when you think you have this stuff figured out it throws a monkey wrench at you. Of course now I can not go backwards to try and figure it out.

It might just be easier to do the same thing. Install it to a different path than were you place the other install and when you are done both will work. Make sure you update it to 9.1 also.

LouP
September 8th, 2010, 17:43
Thanks Dave,

I'll think I will wait to see if I get itchy to use it. It was more out of curioity to see how this new PC would handle it. I am having to much fun with FSX to miss FS9 right now (did I say that). My FSX hums along at 40 fps with everything turned up on this new PC so I can just imagine what it would do with FS9. :)

LouP

Dangerousdave26
September 11th, 2010, 07:20
Sounds like your system will run about like my lap top.

With the C172 running frames unlimited it runs away with its self and makes weird noises. Sounds like the sounds are getting messed up. The way to control that is lock the frames at 100. Seems when I shoots past 100 it starts doing funny things. :icon_lol:

LouP
September 11th, 2010, 19:57
I forgot about the Velociraptor. Yeah!! And the sizes are more manageable.
...Thanks once again.

Carefull, I was considering the velociraptors but they seemed very expensive. I read that the new 7200 rpm drives where configured better today and there was not as much as a performance boost with a 10K drive. I decided to go with a 1.5 tb 7200 rpm drive to be built with the machine and after I received it later added a 2 tb WD cavier black which is where my FSX is installed. This way I figured I would leave the OS seperated on it's own drive. Now when I run a bench mark my drive gives me my lowest score becasue everything else is smoking. BUT, FSX is like butter on my set-up. I am at 40 fps, no stuttering, and all sliders right with anti-alias set as high as my card will go, along with vsync and full af. ANd between my external and internal drives I am living with 4.7 tb of drive space :salute:.

If things get slow at some point down the road (they always do) I figure I will throw a SSD in there as hopefully they will be more perfected by then.

LouP

Alienware, Area 51
i7 930 OC @ 3.3ghz
6mb 1333mhz RAM
GTX 480

timbo2410
September 12th, 2010, 07:48
I got a pre-built machine from Overclockers here in the UK. FANTASTIC ....
Antec 1200 case
Gigabyte EX58-UD5 mobo
6 Gig ram
Core i7 920 DO at 4Ghz
Corsair H50 CPU cooler
XFX 5850HD
Creative Soundblaster Fatality
Corsair 1000w PSU
1 x Intel X25 Solid State drive
3 x Samsung F3 1Tb drives
Pioneer BDRW
Sony DVDRW
Windows 7 Pro 64
All I can say is that coming from an old XP system ... it's like chalk n cheese :-)
I'm running a lot of flight sim versions and I have had no problems with anything at all.