PDA

View Full Version : Never changed a MOBO before but may be doing so..advice needed

OBIO
July 7th, 2010, 14:58
Today, I opened up my system to give it a good cleaning out....and man was it loaded with dust, kitty litter dust, cat and dog hair. Haven't cleaned it out in a couple months. During the cleaning process, I discovered that 6 capacitors are leaking. I am amazed that this system is still running and running smoothly at that.

Got on Ebay and found a listing for this MOBO...has all the hook ups I need to use all the parts from my system on this MOBO. Have no idea if this is a good MOBO or not, but for $30 bucks, it has to be better than a 6 year old MOBO with 6 leaky capacitors.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Dual-vsta

What all is involved in swapping out a MOBO? Any precautions that need to be taken, any special stuff needed. I will have to find a larger case as the HP Pavillion case is too small to hold the ASROCK MOBO.

OBIO

Tako_Kichi
July 7th, 2010, 15:53
First rule of computer repair....make sure you ground yourself before touching any static sensitive components (i.e. any chips or boards containing chips).

You can either buy an anti-static wrist strap (available for a few $$$ at any Radio Shack or the like) or do what I do and touch something that is already grounded like a metal appliance (fridge, washer, drier, etc. but make sure you touch the metal parts and not just the paint) or touch a cold water faucet or copper pipe. This will ground any static charge that may be on your body/clothing.

Then you can go about disconnecting all the wires from the old mobo and if necessary remove any plug in cards and/or RAM sticks that prevent you getting at the mobo screws. Remove the mobo screws and carefully remove the mobo.

Next check the stand-off positions to make sure they match the new mobo and change to suit as required. Then install the new mobo and add the old RAM, GPU and any other cards and re-wire.

Don't forget that a new mobo means all new mobo drivers and if it were me I would seriously think about a re-format of the C: partition/drive with a new install of the OS just so that you don't get any driver conflicts between the old stuff and the new. If you are swapping over your CPU too then you are probably going to have to remove the CPU fan to get the CPU out in which case you will need to re-apply new heatsink compound between the CPU and the fan.

Butcherbird17
July 7th, 2010, 19:03
Ah the joys of a mobo swap.:jump: +1 on what Tako_Kichi posted. When you take the cpu out you will need to clean the old thermal compound/paste off and then re-apply with new. If you have a computer store near by pick up some compound cleaner and new thermal paste, also some Q-tips to use to clean the cpu.
If the mobo comes in a retail box it should have a manual to help with install, if not on the ASRock page you posted you can d/l the manual and all drivers there.

Joe

Tako_Kichi
July 7th, 2010, 20:42
....also some Q-tips to use to clean the cpu.
Use the Q-tips to clean the upper face of the CPU chip ONLY (the one that mates with the heatsink).

DO NOT get a Q-tip anywhere near the pins located either on the underside of the CPU chip or on the mobo (depending on type) as the fibres WILL snag on the pins and could possibly bend them leading to a lot of swearing and gnashing of teeth!

Don't ask me how I know this, I just do, OK! :redface::banghead:

Snuffy
July 8th, 2010, 03:25
One other very important comment ...

Double check that your power supply has enough kick to run the new board, or any upgraded components on it or you install later.

Other than that, with the advice already given, if you have even the slightest of mechanical eptitude, you can change out the board with no problems.

I build from scratch every time I decide I need a new system. That means empty case and components laying all around ... then put the puzzle together.

I'm always amazed that these systems actually work when I'm done putting them together. :wiggle:

OBIO
July 9th, 2010, 15:21
THe power supply is in need of an upgrade. The stock PSU is only 275 watts or such, really need to invest in a 500 to 750 watt PSU with more power cords. I have a brand new, never been opened 500gig SATA drive just waiting to be put into use. Can't use it now because my PSU is maxed out...actually it is probably more than maxed out.

OBIO