View Full Version : Wedding Photography Fail

kilo delta
July 7th, 2010, 11:47
I8N0zq0q5s4

Ouch! :)

Tako_Kichi
July 7th, 2010, 13:15
Aww that sucks!

Hopefully he was shooting digital in which case the SD cards might be readable once they dry out. The cameras....well....that's a bit iffy IMHO but might be recoverable depending on how contaminated the water was (pure H2O is non-conductive) and if it created a short circuit anywhere.

If he was shooting film it's probably game over for the film but the cameras would be easier to dry out and get back in service.

It's always a good idea to have an assistant/spotter on any 'pro' shoot to avoid things like that.

kilo delta
July 7th, 2010, 14:06
Canon 1D or 5D series, I believe....plus a bunch of L lenses. :)

Edit: changed colour of L to L for Kiwi :d

Panther_99FS
July 7th, 2010, 17:28
The moron filming the video should've warned the photographer....

Kiwikat
July 8th, 2010, 10:02
Edit: changed colour of L to L for Kiwi :d

:icon_lol:

If the guy was shooting weathersealed bodies and lenses he might be ok. That's still got to be the most embarrassing thing that could possibly happen...

And yes, whoever was shooting the video is a total @$$ for not saying something.

Tracon
July 8th, 2010, 12:02
But but... if the camera man said something, we wouldn't have video of it! Records... proof! Sacrifices must be made!!

CybrSlydr
July 13th, 2010, 09:43
:icon_lol:

If the guy was shooting weathersealed bodies and lenses he might be ok. That's still got to be the most embarrassing thing that could possibly happen...

And yes, whoever was shooting the video is a total @$$ for not saying something.

The video is pulled, so I can't see it, but you're right - if he did indeed have 1-Series bodies and L lenses, the gear should be ok if he got it out of the water soon enough as they are weather resistant.

luckydog
July 13th, 2010, 20:20
Time for a rant........

This dude is a total Dufus.
During the ceremony a wedding photog should remain out of sight as much as possible.
Over the past 25 years I've found that 97% of the priests/ministers/etc. do NOT allow flash during the ceremony......
SO....... I always set up at the back of the church ( center aisle ) and shoot with a big zoom (70-300mm and 800 ISO usually, depending on ambient light).
When this couple is presented, Mr Dufus is front and center !!!! And then he's in their faces as they walk out.....shooting like crazy !!!
All you need is: a coupla close-up of the newlyweds being introduced
wide-angles of same showing guests
a few shots halfway down the aisle
some close-ups as they near your position.
I'm thinkin' this one of those guys who goes out and spends a fortune on camera gear and immediately becomes a professional wedding photographer.

Just my thoughts......

LD

kilo delta
July 14th, 2010, 04:16
Here's a new link...couldn't edit my original post

5C9egtr-2nM

I heard on another forum that all of his gear (except for maybe the flashes) and the images survived okay.

Moparmike
July 14th, 2010, 06:05
Time for a rant........

This dude is a total Dufus.
During the ceremony a wedding photog should remain out of sight as much as possible.
Over the past 25 years I've found that 97% of the priests/ministers/etc. do NOT allow flash during the ceremony......
SO....... I always set up at the back of the church ( center aisle ) and shoot with a big zoom (70-300mm and 800 ISO usually, depending on ambient light).
When this couple is presented, Mr Dufus is front and center !!!! And then he's in their faces as they walk out.....shooting like crazy !!!
All you need is: a coupla close-up of the newlyweds being introduced
wide-angles of same showing guests
a few shots halfway down the aisle
some close-ups as they near your position.
I'm thinkin' this one of those guys who goes out and spends a fortune on camera gear and immediately becomes a professional wedding photographer.

Just my thoughts......

LD

LD, you see shooters like this photographer at the gun range too. It's called the spray-n-pray method. :d Blast a bunch of pics in burst mode and you're bound to get a couple that turn out...right? :p:

I agree with ya on the photographer should be a low-key part of the ceremony. That's is how I treated my friend's wedding earlier this summer. Higher ISOs and a fast lens. I didn't have a very fast long lens, but I did sneak in up front (and down low) for some altar shots with my 17-50. The other shots were done sniper-style from the rear of the church with my kit DA50-200, slow shutter speeds, and a monopod to keep the shakes away. There were enough family members taking flash shots with P&S cameras that I captured some real funky lighting from them on some shots.
I'm by no means a "pro" and I didn't want to run camera for this wedding either, but I did it as a friend not a hired gun...I absolutely stink at taking people shots.
My opinion...Using flash in a big, dark indoor venue like a church makes for some really spooky photos. Not to mention it will probably bug the heck out of the pastor/priest/rabbi!

CybrSlydr
July 14th, 2010, 07:16
My opinion...Using flash in a big, dark indoor venue like a church makes for some really spooky photos. Not to mention it will probably bug the heck out of the pastor/priest/rabbi!

You mean something like this?...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2582/4381762982_089345d445_b.jpg

I took that sans-flash, but I think it fits the bill. :)

That's in my local church, Beverly United Methodist.

Moparmike
July 14th, 2010, 12:53
Actually, I kinda like that shot Cybr. That would be an ideal subject to HDR!

I was thinking more along the lines of this one...
Not my flash, but all the other flashes in the room royally messed with my metering (I know, I should've been shooting M instead of Av).
Looks like half of the people in the shot are possesed!

Moparmike
July 14th, 2010, 12:56
Here's a new link...couldn't edit my original post

I heard on another forum that all of his gear (except for maybe the flashes) and the images survived okay.

I see that one is pulled now too.
Why do I get the feeling that the (still dripping) photographer keeps claiming copyright on the wedding to get that video off of Youtube? :d You think he's still embarrassed by the bath?

Snuffy
July 14th, 2010, 14:55
I presume everyone has seen this one?

CybrSlydr
July 14th, 2010, 15:05
If you want to do something with it, Mike, feel free. :)

Moparmike
July 14th, 2010, 18:55
I presume everyone has seen this one?

Sorry Snuff...that one has been overdone to death. :d Feeling a bit "cheeky" tonight are we? :p:

CybrSlydr
July 15th, 2010, 05:01
lol I've never seen that one.

What's the story on it?

Snuffy
July 15th, 2010, 05:59
Don't know the story behind (no pun intended,) it ...

HOWEVER! if you can manage to examine the guy's hand, you'll notice he already wears a wedding band ... so I'm not really sure what the situation here is