PDA

View Full Version : Conundrum...

sc7500
July 6th, 2010, 18:13
I know there's a first time for most things.... but this one is VERY odd, even for Me.

I just converted a FS2004 Northrop Alpha to CFS2 using all the standard programs and techniques that have generally been bulletproof over the years.

This plane converted fine - no errors.

Except one - there is NO VISUAL of the plane from the exterior.

The cockpit view shows Main Panel, Wings, all views... but nothing for exteriors.

What have I missed here ?

SC
:kilroy:

tonybones2112
July 6th, 2010, 18:30
You converted the textures? Usually if I miss converting a texture it tells me "visual model cannot be displayed".

A conundrum for sure.

Bones

sc7500
July 6th, 2010, 19:06
Yep - they were DXT3 format with no Alphas.

I took them thru DXTBMP and changed them to DXT1 (No Alpha) just to be sure... no exteriors.

Now, here's another bit that puzzles me - I copied a new MDL file into the folder and ran it thru MkMDL - it would NOT convert from 2004 to 2002. It DID, however convert to CFS2 AND correct the animations... and it allowed resizing.

Hmmmmm.....
SC

tonybones2112
July 7th, 2010, 08:03
Yep - they were DXT3 format with no Alphas.

I took them thru DXTBMP and changed them to DXT1 (No Alpha) just to be sure... no exteriors.

Now, here's another bit that puzzles me - I copied a new MDL file into the folder and ran it thru MkMDL - it would NOT convert from 2004 to 2002. It DID, however convert to CFS2 AND correct the animations... and it allowed resizing.

Hmmmmm.....
SC

Applying the scientific method I have thus concluded a scientific conclusion:

Gremlins.

Bones

sc7500
July 7th, 2010, 09:06
"...Applying the scientific method I have thus concluded a scientific conclusion: Gremlins..."

But... I didn't feed them past Midnight..... :isadizzy:

Nothing I've tried will make this plane visible - I've written to the builder for assistance

SC

Shessi
July 7th, 2010, 13:18
Hi SC,
Had a play around with it (nice model!) and no it won't show exterior model. I ran it through various versions, manually as well, of MDLC. Change the mdl material to opaque and still nothing. It's one of those ones.

It is possible with a scasm tweak, I think it's possibly something to do with how they achieved the 'shine' with an Fs2002 model and MDLC not being able to convert it.

Cheers Shessi

sc7500
July 7th, 2010, 13:33
...Had a play around with it (nice model!) and no it won't show exterior model. I ran it through various versions, manually as well, of MDLC. Change the mdl material to opaque and still nothing. It's one of those ones.... It is possible with a scasm tweak, I think it's possibly something to do with how they achieved the 'shine' with an Fs2002 model and MDLC not being able to convert it.. .

Rats. I was afraid of that. :pop4:

Haven't heard back from the author yet, but betcha I can get the FSC and SCASM data.... I'll let you know, okay ?

Thanks, Shessi :salute:
SC